DAP with full size SD card support as digital transport
May 23, 2020 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

h1f1add1cted

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new DAP as digital transport.

I don't have big requirements:

- USB audio output (to feed Chord Mojo or iFi Audio nano BL)
- 1 Full size SD card slot (not microSD)
- Cost if possible below 300 EUR

Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 10
I guess no DAPs existing with this requirements?

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm sorry, I just have to ask: why not micro SD?

If it's something private personal or embarrassing feel free to PM me the answer. (And then I'll start my own thread telling everyone about it.)

Because I own since years a couple pf 512 GB SD cards with for my FLAC music collection. Currently still using a Shanling M1 with micro SD to full size SD adapter it works ok (see: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...th-4-0-aptx-dsd.816385/page-109#post-13050516 ), but I'm looking for a new DAP without this adapter stuff.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 10
Fair enough. I've not heard of one that takes them, I'm not half as DAP knowledgeable as most people here. I'm sure someone will give you some options.

There are some options existing in the market for example:

Astell & Kern KANN
Lotoo PAW Gold

But they are really expensive and for a simple transport only DAP, which don't require high qualitay DAC/AMP section no solution.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 10
There are some options existing in the market for example:

Astell & Kern KANN
Lotoo PAW Gold

But they are really expensive and for a simple transport only DAP, which don't require high qualitay DAC/AMP section no solution.
I think both use micro sd cards.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 10
So they do but looks like the KANN is max 256g unless a firmware upgrade has extended it.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 10
Sorry but my 10 years old SanDisk Clip can handle this 512 GB SD card with ease. The most vendors just don't update their website or manuals or test larger SD cards offical. Would be huge shame if such a expensive premium device like the KANN could no handle it, if a 10 years old 20 bucks player is able to use 512 GB SD cards.

In general, technically speaking, if a device can handle a 64 GB SD card, larger SD cards (properly formatted of course) are no problem for the device. Would be a really rare issue if this kind of limit exisits if you just use Folder Play for example. If you use MBR disk layout on SD cards the limit is 2 TB (currently not such SD cards exists yet). One real limitation can be the software itself, if you have like a file limit for the music database, but this is no releation to the total card size and Folder Play would still work fine to access all files even the database has a file size limit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back