DAP with DivX/Xvid playback?
Apr 1, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Show me how to make divx/xvid playable on iPod without transcoding to .mp4/mov. If you want to be more specific, the iPod only support simple profile MPEG4. Divx/Xvid use advance profile (B-frames, quarter pixel, etc). Also, the audio has to be in AAC-LC, not MP3.

Place the DivX/Xvid stream in a MP4 or MOV container from the beginning, or simply open the movie in QuickTime Player and save it in a MOV file. No video transcoding needed, just save the content into a different container.
The audio stream is irrelevant anyway, since the OP specifically ask about Xvid/DivX playback.

It seems you are right that the iPod only play AAC-LC audio in movie streams, but since Xvid/DivX can be combined with AAC-LC that is not a problem.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the A2 really big and bulky? Can I put it in my pant pocket and walk around town? Can you hold it easily in your palm? Yeah, the screen is so nice. Maybe I wait for A3 then.

Considering it has a 4" widescreen and a battery that lasts quite a long time, it's actually pretty sleek and compact. I can carry it in my jacket pocket without problems, but you'll notice the weight. It really is more of a video player than an audio player, but the sound output is fantastic.

Check out iAudiophile.net for more info about the A2.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZUNE will play divx but not xvid

NO...he have to transcode. Cowon A2 and Zen Vision are his only choice if he dont want to transcode.

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Place the DivX/Xvid stream in a MP4 or MOV container from the beginning, or simply open the movie in QuickTime Player and save it in a MOV file. No video transcoding needed, just save the content into a different container.
The audio stream is irrelevant anyway, since the OP specifically ask about Xvid/DivX playback.

As I have pointed out, iPod video only supports MPEG4 simple profile. Divx/Xvid uses features that are not part of the simple profile. Although I never use QTpro (a standard QT player cannot do what you said), all the software that I've seen that creates iPod compatible video do a transcoding, since you cannot use the video straight from xvid/divx. I've never seen a software that can just demux an .avi and create a straight .mp4/.mov without transcoding.

How's the compatiblity of divx/xvid on the zen vision? Cowon A2 has problems with QPEL, GMC, and VBR MP3 audio. Other than that, the A2 plays divx/xvid just fine. I wonder if the A3 will add support to those things. If it does, it will be pretty much perfect (in addition to mkv support).

Apr 3, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #23 of 34
The ZVM takes Xvid/Divx files; but somtimes if the file is in a certain resolution like 592x320, I have to convert it to 320X240 or 640X480 for it to go. It's funny, because some widescreen resolutions will go, and others won't. Also, AC3 audio has to be converted to MP3. Does the CowanA2 support AC3 audio; and will it accept all widescreen resolutions in the Xvid/Divx codec?

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO...he have to transcode. Cowon A2 and Zen Vision are his only choice if he dont want to transcode.

Archos AV500 30gb/100gb
Archos AV700 30gb/100gb
Archos 404
Archos 504 <- up to 160gb
Archos 604
Archos 704
All play divx/xvid natively with no trascoding.

Apr 3, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ZVM takes Xvid/Divx files; but somtimes if the file is in a certain resolution like 592x320, I have to convert it to 320X240 or 640X480 for it to go. It's funny, because some widescreen resolutions will go, and others won't. Also, AC3 audio has to be converted to MP3. Does the CowanA2 support AC3 audio; and will it accept all widescreen resolutions in the Xvid/Divx codec?

I have played widescreen xvid videos with resolution up to 706x396 without problems, as long as it's not encoded with GMC, QPEL, and the audio is not VBR MP3. I haven't tried AC3, but according to the spec, the A2 can play AC3 audio.

Apr 3, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Archos AV500 30gb/100gb
Archos AV700 30gb/100gb
Archos 404
Archos 504 <- up to 160gb
Archos 604
Archos 704
All play divx/xvid natively with no trascoding.

What about GMC+QPEL support? Restrictions on resolution/bitrates? Videos with VBR MP3? There are many stand alone devices touting divx/xvid support, but actual compatibility varies greatly.

Apr 3, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #27 of 34
every xvid I downloaded, I download tons of TV shows, and every xvid I made with AutoGK which I made the audio VBR MP3 played fine on my AV500

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I have pointed out, iPod video only supports MPEG4 simple profile. Divx/Xvid uses features that are not part of the simple profile. Although I never use QTpro (a standard QT player cannot do what you said), all the software that I've seen that creates iPod compatible video do a transcoding, since you cannot use the video straight from xvid/divx. I've never seen a software that can just demux an .avi and create a straight .mp4/.mov without transcoding.

I think you're both right. The file could be passed through QTP without transcoding as long at the DivX/Xvid file conformed to the QT specs.... which it often doesn't. For instance I sometimes have to send a file through QTP to readjust display width after encoding anamorphic. It outputs a .mov that isn't transcoded (the processing is much too quick). If I'm handling a DivX file that for instance is with MP3 audio, I transcode through a commercial app. Right now I encode about half (depends on time I have) of my movies with DivX and the other half x264 (both in a MP4 wrapper). I just wish x264 was faster.

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
every xvid I downloaded, I download tons of TV shows, and every xvid I made with AutoGK which I made the audio VBR MP3 played fine on my AV500

Are those xvids use GMC and/or QPEL? That's my question, although it's good to know the AV500 handles video with VBR MP3 fine. Using AutoGK with ESS compatibility option will always disable GMC and QPEL, which what I do all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back