DAP with DivX/Xvid playback?
Apr 10, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #31 of 34
I am an 3.5" screen Archos 404 owner and I confirm that it has native DIVX/XVID support. It has played EVERY DIVX/XVID movie/show I have downloaded (and I DL a lot!). It also goes for cheap as it goes on sale regularly, so it's an EXCELLENT bargain when it does. It's only $250 for the stock unit (optional external "spy cam" can be purchased later) at the Archos site, and $300 for the version with included video camera. It does NOT record video native, but a $70 add-on enables it, and a $100 add on gives you high quality inputs and TRUE SCHEDULED TV recording (Hello PVR, bye bye TIVO). The 504 has a 4.3" screen and costs $350. The 404 kicks ass, A2 does too, Creative Vision is damn nice, iPod Video has at least fixed its battery life issues but it is still a pain in the ass with its lack of DIVX/XVID support.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #33 of 34
What scares me about iPod MP4 content is that it almost always started out as DIVX/XVID. There are FAR more DIVX/XVID encoders out there, and MP4 encoders are usually transcoding DIVX/XVID source content, further degrading the quality. Even with that, there is STILL far more DIVX/XVID content out there, so buying anything other than a DIVX/XVID compliant device at this point is really handicapping youself.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ogodefacto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What scares me about iPod MP4 content is that it almost always started out as DIVX/XVID.

Do you mean legal or illegal? If legal I doubt it starts with any compressed format (except MPEG2), but illegal, probably. Then again just a couple years ago the main trading format of lossless audio was SHN, and I still don't see a major players with support for it. I agree XviD support (and by extension Divx) should be their native on all players, but I guess I don't find it surprising it's not. And as stated earlier XviD support is native on the iPod, just not as items are usually encoded (some flags and MP3 audio).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back