DAP vs Dedicated Source
Jul 14, 2009 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lithe

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using a 3G iPod Nano as a source for my audio setup (HD600s w/ 650 cabling through a Little Dot II++ w/ Mullard Tubes) and wanted to know how significant of an improvement I'd see by getting a better source. As it is I have the iPod and Amp volume at about 85% when I listen and I feel like at volumes that high there's some degredation of quality. I use a laptop and would be most interested in a USB DAC assuming it would make an appreciable difference.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by lithe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using a 3G iPod Nano as a source for my audio setup (HD600s w/ 650 cabling through a Little Dot II++ w/ Mullard Tubes) and wanted to know how significant of an improvement I'd see by getting a better source. As it is I have the iPod and Amp volume at about 85% when I listen and I feel like at volumes that high there's some degredation of quality. I use a laptop and would be most interested in a USB DAC assuming it would make an appreciable difference.

Simple answer is: There is no doubt with a decent USB DAC from your laptop, the sound will be much better.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 4
The biggest difference between a DAP and a dedicated source is in output power. An iPod's output power is cut way back in order to preserve battery life. This is not an issue with a source that plugs into the wall. You almost always get a fair amount of output power from that.

Runnin your amp at 85% of volume is not ideal. Most amps begin to distort when you run them that hard.

If I were you, I'd look for a DAC or CD player that doesn't depend on a battery. If the device isn't trying to preserve battery life, you'll get better performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back