DAP vs DAC + Tube Amp + Tablet.
Jan 2, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 22
That was my first thought, but the more I learned the more it told me to stay away from it. Since an x5ii is supposed to be so wonderful for its price.

Each one has their pros and cons. The Pono's weakness is the UI, but it has great sound and does balanced mode like an absolute champ. The x5ii can't do balanced mode, but the dual SD cards and instant on features seem very nice. I haven't heard it so I can't compare the sound quality.

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 22
It seems to me that your ipad/iphone are already a DAP so why buy another one?   Maybe you have a reason.  I use iphone/ipad as my memory and player and interface.  I take a digital out to a DAC/AMP for a simple low cost option. 

Seems like if the sound is not good enough right from your phone, then add a DAC/AMP to get the digital signal from ipad/iphone and you are better off for less money.  Can be a portable dac/amp or a desktop unit.  Certainly a desktop pair would sound better IMO, than a FIFO DAP.  And, I bet you can find a portable DAC/AMP for less than 500 that would sound just as good if not better. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #21 of 22
Have you received your iDSD?

Yes I have, love it! I'm using my iPhone and my SR325is.
I keep looking for more comfortable headphones but when I say I listen to Pink Floyd it keeps bringing me back to Grados. So I might into getting the RS1e or PS500e
I contacted Grado and they told me that my best match would be the rs1e and that the ps500e was second and that is more "analytical" what ever that means...
I have noticed that when I used my Grados straight to the idsd, they seem more detailed, and if I hook the idsd to my little dot tube amp, it seems more worm, I wonder if that's what people mean with all this words...

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #22 of 22
Yes I have, love it! I'm using my iPhone and my SR325is.
I keep looking for more comfortable headphones but when I say I listen to Pink Floyd it keeps bringing me back to Grados. So I might into getting the RS1e or PS500e
I contacted Grado and they told me that my best match would be the rs1e and that the ps500e was second and that is more "analytical" what ever that means...
I have noticed that when I used my Grados straight to the idsd, they seem more detailed, and if I hook the idsd to my little dot tube amp, it seems more worm, I wonder if that's what people mean with all this words...

Glad that you like it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back