DAP vs DAC + Tube Amp + Tablet.
Jan 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

PabloSRT8

Head-Fier
Hello head-fi world, I'm new to high resolution music and I have a few question.
After reading a lot though the Internet, I decided to get a dap under $500, and it looks like it will be the x5ii.
But before I buy it my question are:
I have an iPad Pro, should I get a dac for it instead?
I have a Windows 10 tablet(Asus T300 Chi) , should I get a dac instead?
I usually listen at home only, right now my set up is Grado SR325is, Little Dot +1 tube amp, iPure DAC and iPod classic 5th and 7th gen.
Thank you.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 22
I also have a 6s plus and portability is not an issue, so maybe a dac for it? Can it play 24/192? If and x5ii is same as a portable I have plus a dac and my tube amp then I can save money.
I'm looking for sound quality only, I don't care about interface and taking extra steps to get to a song.
Thanks again.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 22
Look into Chord Mojo. It is a DAC. People are saying great things about it. I don't own one but I am seriously planning on buying it based on these reviews.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 22
Look into Chord Mojo. It is a DAC. People are saying great things about it. I don't own one but I am seriously planning on buying it based on these reviews.

Would this give me the quality of a let's say Fiio X5ii out of my windows 10 tablet usb out?
I'm guessing the iPad pro is limited to 44khz no matter what dac right? Thank you

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 22
Would this give me the quality of a let's say Fiio X5ii out of my windows 10 tablet usb out?
I'm guessing the iPad pro is limited to 44khz no matter what dac right? Thank you

In terms of sound quality/price/portability, there's really nothing better than the Mojo right now. Based on your needs, it looks like a USB DAC is the better choice than a DAP. Definitely look at the Chord Mojo.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 22

1. The sound quality (per the claims I have read) is better than X5ii.
2. I was unable to find information on if it works with Windows Tablets. You could ask in the Chord Mojo thread here on Head-Fi and I am sure someone there would have an answer for you.
3. Mojo was built for smartphone (tablet) users. And it has no trouble connecting with iOS devices. There are 3rd Party Apps such as Onkyo Music Player that support Hi-Res music..

And since you mention that all you are looking for is Sound Quality, Mojo seems to fit your bill. Check out more info here:
http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/

Actually there is one other DAC that might work as well. iFi iDSD Micro. But it is not as portable as the Mojo.  

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 22
Thank you for the responses, I just checked the first one and is way out of my budget. I was looking for something under $500 and if there was a better option to a x5ii for the money with the equipment that I already own.
Usb dac vs x5ii or other dap invader $500

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 22
ifi idsd micro costs $500. 

Your other DAP options are iBasso DX80 and DX90. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 22
Also check out Leckerton UHA760 and JDS Labs' O2+ODAC (Objective 2 Amp + DAC)

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 22
This sounds very interesting.
Does this mean I can get rid off my little dot 1 amp And pure i20? It looks like this ifi has its own amp and my Grado SR325i are easy to drive. (32 ohms)

Yes you can. But iDSD has a solid state Class-A amp, where as the Little Dot is a Tupe Amp. The sound characteristics are going to be different.

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 22
Yes you can. But iDSD has a solid state Class-A amp, where as the Little Dot is a Tupe Amp. The sound characteristics are going to be different.

Great, thank you for your help, one last question, if I was to use this with my iPhone 6s Plus or iPad by using the camera USB adapter, will I get 24/192 out of my aiff files? I thought iOS devices were limited to 41.1 or 96khz only.

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 22
Great, thank you for your help, one last question, if I was to use this with my iPhone 6s Plus or iPad by using the camera USB adapter, will I get 24/192 out of my aiff files? I thought iOS devices were limited to 41.1 or 96khz only.

Download the Onkyo Music PLayer app from itunes. It has an in-app purchase to upgrade to Onkyo HF Player for $10 that supports 24/192 formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back