DAP stores in Hong Kong
Sep 21, 2006 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wowie11

100+ Head-Fier
My sister-in-law is going to be flying back to California this weekend and I was thinking of having her pick me up one of those nifty Meizu miniplayers or Teclast TL-T29's. She's not very savvy with electronics so she wouldn't know the first thing about where to look for these players. Can anybody provide me with the name and address (if you have it) of a DAP store in Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance!

Jose

Sep 21, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 16
FYI, is would "appear" that the Teclast T29 is coming this way for $125.00:
http://dapreview.net/news.php?item.3604.5

Have sister-in-law get the Meizu miniplayers ???
eggosmile.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 16
There are loads of "DAP" shops in HK, just that I don't really know what players you're talking about
frown.gif

Try Fortress (Mong Kok, Tsim Sha Tsui, Festival Walk, etc...) There are lots of electronic stores in Mong Kok.

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 16
She may try her luck in Star House where next to Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry Pier. There's a shop in 1st floor selling Meizu Miniplayer, but not Teclast T29, since there's just available in China, if I'm not wrong.

I know there's a headphone club in Hong Kong, which has both Miniplayer and T29 for demo.
very_evil_smiley.gif
She can have a peek there. The club sells the Miniplayer, but currently, it's out of stock until later this week.
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 16
i suggest you go to Times Squares, Causeway Bay. unless you know what you're getting(price too) and you speak cantonese. Monk Kwok never really the best place. especially for foreigners. and i think Boardway has better service and price too than Fortress.

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dumbears
I know there's a headphone club in Hong Kong, which has both Miniplayer and T29 for demo.
very_evil_smiley.gif
She can have a peek there. The club sells the Miniplayer, but currently, it's out of stock until later this week.
frown.gif

Check out headphonehk.com and mingo-hmw.com

Mingo probably has them for demo. I don't believe Kingsound has much available for demo apart from some G&W amps.

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang
and i think Boardway has better service and price too than Fortress.

You mean Broadway.

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 16
there's too much freaking choice to buy DAPs in Hong Kong. i can't remember where the shops are at Tsim Sha Tsui, but at Mong Kok, the electronics district iirc is right outside of the subway station

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
there's too much freaking choice to buy DAPs in Hong Kong. i can't remember where the shops are at Tsim Sha Tsui, but at Mong Kok, the electronics district iirc is right outside of the subway station

There's also Sham Shui Po and Causeway Bay for electronics. All four "districts" are reachable by MTR station. Tsim Sha Tsui and Causeway Bay are the most expensive. Mong Kok is less so and Sham Shui Po is verging on illegal (though not as bad as a few years ago)...

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 16
Also, there is a decent selection of common DAPs in Wanchai Computer Center (directly above Wanchai MTR Station) and the 298 Computer Mall. The stuff at Wanchai Computer Center should be reliable. Prices are OK - selection better than Broadway. Shops have Shures, Etys, ATs, most IEMS and buds. Second the comment that Broadway is better than Fortress.

As for to-die-for hardware, I'm sure they exist. I'm told (though have no experience in this field at all) that at Sham Shui Po you can get decent Chinese tube amps and such. Of course, you really need to know what you're doing there in terms of bargaining and knowing what's what.

If one is not familiar with DAPS and headphones, and don't speak Cantonese, Broadway and Wanchai Computer Centre would be safer IMO. Alot of expats working in HK go to Wanchai Computer Center for peripherals, PDAs and such. Most of the shop assistants can handle abit of English.

Sep 25, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei
Also, there is a decent selection of common DAPs in Wanchai Computer Center (directly above Wanchai MTR Station) and the 298 Computer Mall. The stuff at Wanchai Computer Center should be reliable. Prices are OK - selection better than Broadway. Shops have Shures, Etys, ATs, most IEMS and buds. Second the comment that Broadway is better than Fortress.

As for to-die-for hardware, I'm sure they exist. I'm told (though have no experience in this field at all) that at Sham Shui Po you can get decent Chinese tube amps and such. Of course, you really need to know what you're doing there in terms of bargaining and knowing what's what.

If one is not familiar with DAPS and headphones, and don't speak Cantonese, Broadway and Wanchai Computer Centre would be safer IMO. Alot of expats working in HK go to Wanchai Computer Center for peripherals, PDAs and such. Most of the shop assistants can handle abit of English.

Wanchai Computer Center is great. There's also Mong Kok Computer Center and the 369 Computer Center if you know what you're doing. It would be best to have a friend ask the price for you before you do yourself. Then you pretend you don't know your friend, ask the shopkeeper yourself. I guarantee your price will be higher than your friend's!

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 16
This post started off by asking two questions: (1) I was thinking of having her pick me up one of those nifty Meizu miniplayers or Teclast TL-T29's; and, (2)Can anybody provide me with the name and address (if you have it) of a DAP store in Hong Kong?

From the posts, we seem to know where to buy. Now, what to buy and why.

I reviewed all posters with a Hong Kong and/or China connection: milkpowder, dumbers, fhuang and Jubei. All their listed equipment can be purchased in the Unted States. I send my sister-in-law (in my case a good friend of mine) to Wanchai Computer, Mong Kok and or 369 Computer, now what?
confused.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 16
OK. Let's try. I have scanned two pages of local magazines - they are buying guides with standard retail prices (which means you can get them cheaper of course) of what's generally available and talked about around town.

DAP02.jpg

DAP03.jpg

The reason why most people have DAPs available in the US, I think, is because these tend to be more tested, so we know if they're good or not. Alot of the weirder stuff doesn't get reviewed. Also I suspect that the Hong Kong Head-Fi members are more versed in English and have a tendency to buy the established brands. This is as opposed to those that frequent Chinese forums like Mingo, where more people may have experience with these Chinese made items. I can't say for sure.

I am personally thinking about getting the Kiss KS Slim - it is sort of an imitation iPod Nano like in size. Should be drag-and-drop interface, but no one seems to be able to confirm this. I, however, need to find a job first
blink.gif
. Other "well-known" (as in advertised) brands are JNC and Matsunichi (it is Chinese).

Then there are the Chinese buds like the Gemei GH-520 which are supposed to be good-value-for-money. I read that they cost about HK$95, which would be about US$12.

Oh, here's a page at Mingo's forum on amps for sale, dated 04 April 2006. Display items for testing and prices in HK$ for sale at Mingo's showroom. His address is Room 711, 7th Floor, 2-6 Fa Yuen Street, Mong Kok. Tel: 2770-6919. Open 2pm-8 pm and closed Wed and Sun.

I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back