DAP Recommendations
Mar 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

To an extent. I actually had to import the iPod from the US though (I'm UK based) because the EU volume limit on the devices here drove me crazy - something which I think Apple still deny, but is quite obvious on a side by side comparison of the devices.

I was fairly happy with the iPod/HD25 combo for a long time, but I've had this long-term issue with the HD25s which prompted me to get some new phones: intermittent cut-outs. The sound will just cut out in either the left or right can - it's a slightly poor connection with the cables going into the cans. You have to jiggle the connectors to restore the sound. Annoying as hell! Over the years, I've replaced the capsules, the cable, but have never been able to properly resolve the issue. So I finally took the plunge and replaced the HD25s, but now this issue with the jack slipping has dissuaded me from getting another iPod - that coupled with the fact I'm not exactly the world's biggest Apple fan :wink:

I hear you on the EU limit.....and given your experience, I can understand wanting to try something else. You can bypass the EU limit with an external amp, but that definitely cuts down on portability...I very rarely will carry an amp while I am out and about. The Sony players that I have had were all very user-friendly and had good sound, but they were  non-Android models. In fact, my former A867 was an EU model, and it did seem a bit weak power-wise with harder to drive headphones....but it worked very well with an amp. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 21
Having scoured these forums for a few days now + got some feedback here, I'm leaning towards trying a HiSound Audio Nova N1. It's very reasonably priced, but the SQ seems to be well-regarded and no doubt the amp is decent too. It also has the advantage of not looking like a brick.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
Having scoured these forums for a few days now + got some feedback here, I'm leaning towards trying a HiSound Audio Nova N1. It's very reasonably priced, but the SQ seems to be well-regarded and no doubt the amp is decent too. It also has the advantage of not looking like a brick.

Well, I wish you luck....that's a player I have zero experience or knowledge of. 
smile.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #19 of 21
Oh don't worry, I think the price we pay for 'audiophile' DAPs as you call them is outrageous, with all their lacking features, roll off, unstable UI's they're down right pain in the back side, you won't see my disagreeing there. But I have to take what I can get even it means milking only that extra inch from my IEM's. Whether it be orgasmic or a simple improvement in soundstage, separation. I could go on and say I think the entire hobby is one big con actually, that's the way I think lately, after trying some $400 - $500 IEM's But still I lust for improvements and they're there. I guess we just see things very differently, you have a lot of anythingbutipod blood in you where as I'm more Head-Fi bred. :p

Seems to me the 80/20 rule may be way understated when it comes to audio gear. Maybe more like 95/5 or even 99/1??? That is to say you have to spend 99% more to get 1% improvement in many cases. :wink:

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #20 of 21
Seems to me the 80/20 rule may be way understated when it comes to audio gear. Maybe more like 95/5 or even 99/1??? That is to say you have to spend 99% more to get 1% improvement in many cases. :wink:

I think the main thing that hurts is as you move up the food chain improvements lessen, it becomes confusing considering you were once enjoying upgrades to a fuller extend. The outlay no longer justifying the cost

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Any reason for not going straight to the N3 instead? several members have said it is a straight up improvement

-
Imo, at some point , you will begin to buy gears for the purpose of both trying and to achieve something that your current gear just can't , not only in term of SQ , but "less bass, more mid" or even charasteristics change, so the hobby is basically a taste hobby with no actual "end game"
ps:I kinda disagree with many of the ABI tones , but eh everyone to his/her own

Users who are viewing this thread

Back