DAP Recommendations
Mar 7, 2013 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

WraithApe

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I'm aware this kind of thread has probably been started a million times before, so apologies for that, but I'm looking for advice before shelling out on a new DAP. I'm looking for something with really good SQ but also a decent UI. I was looking at the Sony F807, but having got some feedback on the F807 Impressions thread I'm thinking the output power of that DAP might not be sufficient to drive my ATH-PRO700MK2s (38 ohm impedance) without external amping - something I'd like to avoid. The DX100 obviously has great SQ and what appears to be a workable UI, but would a high-end DAP like that be overkill for these phones? I'd like to get some recommendations on what people think would be the most suitable DAP based on these requirements. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 21
38 ohms is no big deal. Just about any player should power them just fine.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 21
Why not wait for the HM-901? as it should sound stellar and have a decent enough U.I.

Andy.

P.S. Personally I think that my Tera Player sounds utterly sublime, but there's no screen and the U.I. is rudimentary but functional. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
Hi, I'm aware this kind of thread has probably been started a million times before, so apologies for that, but I'm looking for advice before shelling out on a new DAP. I'm looking for something with really good SQ but also a decent UI. I was looking at the Sony F807, but having got some feedback on the F807 Impressions thread I'm thinking the output power of that DAP might not be sufficient to drive my ATH-PRO700MK2s (38 ohm impedance) without external amping - something I'd like to avoid. The DX100 obviously has great SQ and what appears to be a workable UI, but would a high-end DAP like that be overkill for these phones? I'd like to get some recommendations on what people think would be the most suitable DAP based on these requirements. Thanks!

If you like the headphones you have now, then don't waste your time and money on one of the $700+ "audiophile" players. An iPod Touch would be great for what you have.....good quality sound and a great UI.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 21
If you like the headphones you have now, then don't waste your time and money on one of the $700+ "audiophile" players. An iPod Touch would be great for what you have.....good quality sound and a great UI.

At least step him up to a Cowon, don't be to cruel on him. :wink:

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
At least step him up to a Cowon, don't be to cruel on him.
wink.gif

A 4th or 5th gen Touch sounds better than a Cowon that has the BBE stuff disabled, and you can get an app for the Touch that gives you the BBE stuff if you want it. (Some people don't like it)

And let's be honest, the UI is a million times better than the Cowon players....lol. (and I am listening to a Cowon as I type this)
wink_face.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 21
Thanks for your feedback guys. I take it from what you've said that you don't really rate the Audio Technicas. Just out of interest, what would you say are better portable phones (for use on the move rather than for home listening)? I just switched from HD25s.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback guys. I take it from what you've said that you don't really rate the Audio Technicas. Just out of interest, what would you say are better portable phones (for use on the move rather than for home listening)? I just switched from HD25s.

I did not mean to imply that your  ATs are no good.....I've had and enjoyed several ATs, but never tried that particular model.
What player are you using with those headphones now?

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 21
A 4th or 5th gen Touch sounds better than a Cowon that has the BBE stuff disabled, and you can get an app for the Touch that gives you the BBE stuff if you want it. (Some people don't like it)

And let's be honest, the UI is a million times better than the Cowon players....lol. (and I am listening to a Cowon as I type this)
wink_face.gif

I guess so, why not, ipod touch sounds great. :smile: I do think DX100 would be a little overkill for this application, and anything audiophile won't have the UI OP wants. if it was me? and I went against everything the OP wanted with those headphones purely from a sound quality perspective, I would spend $200 and set up a Colorfly C3 / C&C BH combo, or possibly Studio V 3RD ANV if he wants to fork out. But I'm not in this for UI or features, so Ipod touch it is! :wink:

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
I guess so, why not, ipod touch sounds great.
smile.gif
I do think DX100 would be a little overkill for this application, and anything audiophile won't have the UI OP wants. if it was me? and I went against everything the OP wanted with those headphones purely from a sound quality perspective, I would spend $200 and set up a Colorfly C3 / C&C BH combo, or possibly Studio V 3RD ANV if he wants to fork out. But I'm not in this for UI or features, so Ipod touch it is!
wink.gif

I do wonder how your older Touch would sound compared to the newer ones.  Indeed, you and the OP have different priorities. 
wink.gif

Some of what you call features and UI, and say you are not interested in, because the sound is all that matters to you,  I would consider mandatory for the money we shell out in this hobby. For me to give up the features and UI, the sound of the device would have to have this effect on me......

and there's no way any DAP would do that.
L3000.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 21
I have been using an iPod Classic actually, but it's really old now, on its last legs and also I have a real issue with it: unlike the Senns, the jack on the ATs seems to keep slipping - only an infinitesimal amount, but enough to cause the iPod to pause playback. I've done some research on the net, and it does seem to be a commonly reported problem with certain headphones.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 21
I do wonder how your older Touch would sound compared to the newer ones.  Indeed, you and the OP have different priorities. 
wink.gif

Some of what you call features and UI, and say you are not interested in, because the sound is all that matters to you,  I would consider mandatory for the money we shell out in this hobby. For me to give up the features and UI, the sound of the device would have to have this effect on me......

and there's no way any DAP would do that.
L3000.gif

Oh don't worry, I think the price we pay for 'audiophile' DAPs as you call them is outrageous, with all their lacking features, roll off, unstable UI's they're down right pain in the back side, you won't see my disagreeing there. But I have to take what I can get even it means milking only that extra inch from my IEM's. Whether it be orgasmic or a simple improvement in soundstage, separation. I could go on and say I think the entire hobby is one big con actually, that's the way I think lately, after trying some $400 - $500 IEM's But still I lust for improvements and they're there. I guess we just see things very differently, you have a lot of anythingbutipod blood in you where as I'm more Head-Fi bred. :p

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
I have been using an iPod Classic actually, but it's really old now, on its last legs and also I have a real issue with it: unlike the Senns, the jack on the ATs seems to keep slipping - only an infinitesimal amount, but enough to cause the iPod to pause playback. I've done some research on the net, and it does seem to be a commonly reported problem with certain headphones.

I've heard of that happening. My ancient iPod Mini is having that issue, but it seems to be with all headphones, so it's clearly farther gone than your iPod is. Have you been happy with its sound though, before this happened?

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Oh don't worry, I think the price we pay for 'audiophile' DAPs as you call them is outrageous, with all their lacking features, roll off, unstable UI's they're down right pain in the back side, you won't see my disagreeing there. But I have to take what I can get even it means milking only that extra inch from my IEM's. Whether it be orgasmic or a simple improvement in soundstage, separation. I could go on and say I think the entire hobby is one big con actually, that's the way I think lately, after trying some $400 - $500 IEM's But still I lust for improvements and they're there. I guess we just see things very differently, you have a lot of anythingbutipod blood in you where as I'm more Head-Fi bred.
tongue.gif

That's not a bad analogy, actually.
smile_phones.gif
  Rational vs. irrational, science vs. mysticism, logic vs. emotion, etc. 
tongue.gif

I think we both deserve credit though, for making an amusing and friendly debate out of it, instead of an angry thread-lock-inducing war, as happens so often. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #15 of 21
I've heard of that happening. My ancient iPod Mini is having that issue, but it seems to be with all headphones, so it's clearly farther gone than your iPod is. Have you been happy with its sound though, before this happened?

To an extent. I actually had to import the iPod from the US though (I'm UK based) because the EU volume limit on the devices here drove me crazy - something which I think Apple still deny, but is quite obvious on a side by side comparison of the devices.

I was fairly happy with the iPod/HD25 combo for a long time, but I've had this long-term issue with the HD25s which prompted me to get some new phones: intermittent cut-outs. The sound will just cut out in either the left or right can - it's a slightly poor connection with the cables going into the cans. You have to jiggle the connectors to restore the sound. Annoying as hell! Over the years, I've replaced the capsules, the cable, but have never been able to properly resolve the issue. So I finally took the plunge and replaced the HD25s, but now this issue with the jack slipping has dissuaded me from getting another iPod - that coupled with the fact I'm not exactly the world's biggest Apple fan :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back