DAP recommendation
Nov 20, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #31 of 40
Perhaps explaining in as much detail possible - what you like about the Chords sonics would help with that. I know implementation plays a big role, but some dap manufacturers generally stick to a house sound, and while different tuning can make a difference, different dac chips generally retain certain sonic qualities. Just a thought.

I like the way the mojo + poly sound does not emphasize any particular frequency (to my ears), keeps a very good balance across the frequency range. For example, the bass is neither lacking or overpowering, it is just as much as needed and is tight. The timing of the music is spot on. The 'emotion' and 'energy' (warmth?) is very nice, it does not sound dry or too technical, while detail retrieval is very good.

I guess what I am looking for is higher resolution across the spectrum, especially the bass (goes deeper, with clearer audible differences in different frequencies, and needs to be extra tight and impactful rather than loose and boomy, could be slightly more powerful compared to mojo+poly). Better soundstage is also welcome. If the DAP has possibility of cross-feed (the sound of each channel plays in the other channel as well to simulate true stereo speaker listening), it would be a plus.

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #32 of 40
I like the way the mojo + poly sound does not emphasize any particular frequency (to my ears), keeps a very good balance across the frequency range. For example, the bass is neither lacking or overpowering, it is just as much as needed and is tight. The timing of the music is spot on. The 'emotion' and 'energy' (warmth?) is very nice, it does not sound dry or too technical, while detail retrieval is very good.

I guess what I am looking for is higher resolution across the spectrum, especially the bass (goes deeper, with clearer audible differences in different frequencies, and needs to be extra tight and impactful rather than loose and boomy, could be slightly more powerful compared to mojo+poly). Better soundstage is also welcome. If the DAP has possibility of cross-feed (the sound of each channel plays in the other channel as well to simulate true stereo speaker listening), it would be a plus.
So something relatively balanced, tight, with a touch of warmth. Perhaps a little better layering, depth, soundstage and dynamics. Of course this is just my subjective opinion, but I feel ES may be your best opportunity, though I haven't heard the AK4499. Shanling typically sticks with a balanced sound, Cayin likes to emphasize the treble regions, couldn't tell you about Astell and Kern. Have you read through any of the flagship dedicated threads? That may provide you with a little more insight. I may have already mentioned this, but I would message member Nayparm. I really think he could help you.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #33 of 40
So something relatively balanced, tight, with a touch of warmth. Perhaps a little better layering, depth, soundstage and dynamics. Of course this is just my subjective opinion, but I feel ES may be your best opportunity, though I haven't heard the AK4499. Shanling typically sticks with a balanced sound, Cayin likes to emphasize the treble regions, couldn't tell you about Astell and Kern. Have you read through any of the flagship dedicated threads? That may provide you with a little more insight. I may have already mentioned this, but I would message member Nayparm. I really think he could help you.
Thanks, I have checked dedicated forums and searched here and on reddit and google, but could not find any direct comparisons as requested above. It would really help if you reached out to Nayparm and he/she could help.

Thanks a lot

Umar

Nov 20, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 40
I am really interested in views on Cayin n6ii vs A&K SE200 or Chord Mojo/Poly. A few people here have helped me a lot in explaining that SE200 sounds better in every way to the mojo/poly setup, but I have not found any comparisons with the Cayin which also seems to be very high on the reviewers recommendations.

Hopefully someone can help here.

Regards
Umar

I didn’t leave a long comparison but did you see my little blurb with MojoPoly vs Cayin?

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #36 of 40
I didn’t leave a long comparison but did you see my little blurb with MojoPoly vs Cayin?
I'd really be interested in reading it. Can you link to it?

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #37 of 40
Thanks all for the comments.

I have tried to find a comparison between n6ii and SE200 but so far haven’t found anywhere. If anyone can share or point me in the direction would be grateful.

I was also thinking about R3 + Mojo setup, can anyone confirm if the SQ is the same as mojo+poly?

for those mentioning n6ii and se200 better than mojo in SQ, I was researching online and found that the DAC processor and programming used by Chord is proprietary and apparently much more powerful than aftermarket DAC chips. How would the AKM chip then best the Mojo? Any thoughts on this?

thanks a lot
Umar
The best one I've heard is the Cayin N8. It's way over my budget though so I came to choose the Ibasso DX120.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #39 of 40
I'd really be interested in reading it. Can you link to it?

So it's been quite a bit of time but I remember the Cayin being more lively! Not in a super intense or negative fashion. But just a bit amplified in all areas. Both pieces of equipment are generally smooth and warm but the Cayin was more dynamic. You can feel the bass more. When I say feel, I don't just mean quantity, but throughout frequencies, I could feel the bass pressure change as well. That was not as present in the Mojo/Poly. The lows were more refined and pronounced. Both mids were luscious. The treble was a bit more forward to my ears on the Cayin; it was another area where it came to life. It was dynamic without ever being harsh. There was no cringing involved at all. It was a really sweet sound. I say all of that but they truly were pretty close. But after you've sat with them both for awhile, the little nuances start to separate the two of them. The Mojo/Poly is very sweet and very smooth, I'd dare call it safe. The Cayin is warm, smooth, but its more spirited and outgoing. Your genre choice might make the choice a bit easier as well.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #40 of 40
I think a main point with a new DAP is that it plays hires formats including DSD in a good way. I use a Fiio X3 g2 to playback my DSD vinyl recordings. I have not seen much evidence, are newer DAPs better at this task or is the sonic benefit marginal. I am not asking about the general benefit with newer DAPs like better amp sections etc, just the playback of DSD files.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back