DAP Recommendation - Thank You
Feb 5, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 24
@bamboostreet going through the audioreviews link. ESS Sabre ES9219C seems better than previous versions. Sony does not declare the chips, but have a good conversations about them. Hiby R6 is 2020 model but feels like a good option. Shanling M3Ultra is ESS Sabre ES9219C . Sony would cost me 851USD, HibyR6would cost me 766USD. The gap between them is so less that I feel Sony is a better buy. Whereas Shanling M3U would cost me 522 USD . This makes me see Shanling as the best value currrently .
If you're streaming Tidal, the M3U is great

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #17 of 24
Feb 6, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #18 of 24
You should really try cayin n3 pro
Excellent tube/transistor player,
Excellent sound with good construction.
I had not seen older gen players. Cayin N3 Pro has a dual AK as well. However, it is a 2020 device, I just feel support would run out on it. Similarly, it had one of the least battery life compared to the others. Tonality wise, going by the reviews it sounds perfect.

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #20 of 24
This is such a big rabbit hole, especially for someone like me who feels noob when it comes to the science behind these players. I can understand things but still get stumped:

1) Good Processor, a stable new Snapdragon would do a good job. But then RockChip of Ibasso & AK also perform well. It becomes tough to thus ascertain beyond a point.
2) Due to all that was shared and reading up further, I understand ESS chips might come across as brighter compared to AK. Though very few players have AK.
3) How is power managed, how they work, the pyramid structure of an Analog circuit, and how they are driven is all new to me.
4) LPF, AMP, Jitter, Clock, Dual NDK vs Dual KDS – These things also are Greek to me. Which one affects music and how? I still need to learn.

I take one step forward and come up with more questions. I realise, that this thing to find 1 DAP which might be the best bang for the buck is not straightforward.

Feb 6, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #21 of 24
I had not seen older gen players. Cayin N3 Pro has a dual AK as well. However, it is a 2020 device, I just feel support would run out on it. Similarly, it had one of the least battery life compared to the others. Tonality wise, going by the reviews it sounds perfect.
I have not encountered any problems with the battery, and from my experience cayin has good customer service,
In terms of sound, the n3 pro is something in another league (in relation to its price),
Its only disadvantage is that it doesn't have a streaming option... for those who use local files, this is not a disadvantage.

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #23 of 24
1) Good Processor, a stable new Snapdragon would do a good job. But then RockChip of Ibasso & AK also perform well. It becomes tough to thus ascertain beyond a point.
if you dont use streaming files, processor and ram is less important. With shanling, you have the prime mode, a mode where only the music player is running, no background app. Its perfect for local files, no lag or loose connection.
The form factor is the priority for me, not the android version or processor.

Oct 27, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #24 of 24
Hello All,

Thank you for all the suggestions. After all the possible pros and cons, availability, and pricing of various options, I ended up buying Hiby R6 Gen3. and I am very pleased with the experience overall.

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-09 at 13.17.12 (1).jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back