DAP Recommendation - Thank You
Feb 2, 2023 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

antz123

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

Need some guidance here.

I had Fiio X5 3rd Gen. That slowly is giving up on me. It crashes, it suddenly does not recognize the SD Cards, and that Volume Wheel – oh God. I did try the custom Rom, but things are still messy. (RIP Fiio X5)

I do not have many DAPs around me to do an audition, so it is hard to choose by listening. I recently had a chance to listen to Fiio M11s – I like the familiar interface and speed it has. However, the music to my ears felt fatiguing, it was a bit sharp or treble wise the tonality felt uncomfortable.

I have DunuDN1000, Truthear Hexa, iBasso IT01, SoundMagic e11c, VModa LP2, and Meze Classics 99, as my ear/headphones. I enjoy classical rock, alternate + Indie rock, and some electronica like Daft Punk etc. I love good quick tight bass, however, won’t push myself to a bass-head degree. I do not hate treble, though sometimes it can become unenjoyable after a long duration. I do not have a portable amp or headphones/speakers to push them. I think my set of earphones will perform well with most DAPs themselves. (If I am wrong, do correct me)

I made a list of DAPs that I can plan to grab. A few of them I could source from some websites locally, or some I can get shipped to a friend in a different country, and whenever he is coming back to my city I will get it from him.

PlayerPrice - USD
Hifiman Hm901R
366​
Tempotec V6
378​
Hiby R5Gen 2
476​
Shanling M3Lutra
524​
Fiio M11S
549​
Ak SR25 MkII
671​
Fiio M11 Plus ESS
695​
Shanling M6Pro
817​
Sony - Nw-Zx707
866​
Shanling M6 Ultra
939​

I know my range is too vast. A device that is close to $400-$500 I can purchase in the near future, anything costlier I am ready to wait and save to buy something better.

In an ideal world, I would say looking for the best bang for the buck spent. I went through the great DAP Comparison chart to compare and shortlist. I am not at all into Spotify or Tidal. However, wireless playback for future earphones is a worthwhile feature to have. I am fine with small or big screens. I am just looking for a DAP that plays well and ages well. So, a decent reliable interface, reliable QC, good battery life, and SD card support.

If there is any device that I have not shortlisted, please do suggest.

Thank you for reading this long request.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 24
I like sony daps as they sound warmer to my ears, and have eq so I can adjust tomy likings depending on the Iem Im using.

Besides sony I was tinking about HIby, as they have systemwide Eq as well, but ended upbuying a Wm1am2. If it was now I would buy a zx707 or the newhiby r6. Both are android 12(future proof).

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 24
Fiio m11s if you want a faster dap for streaming (better soc). Ibasso dx170 if you want something different. I have a couple dap and dac with ess chipset (shanling m3x, hidizs ap80 proX, shanling up5) and its always the same kind of sound: colder and analytical. Audioreviews.org give a good explanation about this (motherboard with chipset in one package).
https://www.audioreviews.org/system-on-chip/
My friend already have an ibasso dx170 and i find it more deeper and rounded, analogic, exactly how i find the sound of my ibasso dc03 pro dongle (cirrus chipset).

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 24
I like sony daps as they sound warmer to my ears, and have eq so I can adjust tomy likings depending on the Iem Im using.

Besides sony I was tinking about HIby, as they have systemwide Eq as well, but ended upbuying a Wm1am2. If it was now I would buy a zx707 or the newhiby r6. Both are android 12by (future proof).
Thank you. Sony is little higher on the spectrum but with it's sound, battery, and build quality it was high in my preference as well. I might be wrong, but going by just the specs Shanling m3Ultra felt like upgrade to Hiby R6. But I shall read up on the Hibi R6 2020 as well.

Thank You Again

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 24
Fiio m11s if you want a faster dap for streaming (better soc). Ibasso dx170 if you want something different. I have a couple dap and dac with ess chipset (shanling m3x, hidizs ap80 proX, shanling up5) and its always the same kind of sound: colder and analytical. Audioreviews.org give a good explanation about this (motherboard with chipset in one package).
https://www.audioreviews.org/system-on-chip/
My friend already have an ibasso dx170 and i find it more deeper and rounded, analogic, exactly how i find the sound of my ibasso dc03 pro dongle (cirrus chipset).
Hello Bamboo, Thank you for sharing your thoughts again. You had guided me on earlier on IEMs as well.

My Issue with M11s was the shrillness or brightness of the tone. Thus, it is not exactly my first choice, even when it seems like the best bang for the buck. Good Screen, Good UI, good internals, good build, decent battery.

I shall go through the link you just shared.

My experience with Fiio X5 3rd - make me think that the culprit was the 2gb RAM. Having a bright screen, music decoding, etc. with lesser RAM just breaks everything down. Ibasso DX170 looks beautiful, and it is at a good price range. Most reviewers also described the sound as you have done. I just did not keep it in my shortlist was due to my apprehension of it's 2gb RAM. I shall relook at DX170's offering again. Other iBasso products are out of my budget :frowning2:

Thank You.

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 24
Shanling M6 Pro (original) or Ultima would be my top choice from your list. Shanlings tuning coupled with the AKM chips is never harsh or fatiguing. The sound is smooth, velvety, musical, and highly engaging. I've veered away from most devices that use ESS chips. Every one I've owned didn't fit my listening preferences. There was always some bit of brightness, harshness, or excessive sizzle.

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 24
My honest opinion: I want to sell all this ess dap and dac and wait for the meizu m3 pro
https://sparrowsnews.com/2022/12/23/meizu-m3-pro-all-scene-hi-fi-player/

One of my first dap, 12 years ago, was a meizu dap and i had a great experience with it. I think it will be more like the hiby rs2, around 400-500$ and only for local files
Yes, the place holder for the device is there on their website for a while. Also in December it was said Q12023 release

https://detail.meizu.com/item/m3pro.html

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 24
Shanling M6 Pro (original) or Ultima would be my top choice from your list. Shanlings tuning coupled with the AKM chips is never harsh or fatiguing. The sound is smooth, velvety, musical, and highly engaging. I've veered away from most devices that use ESS chips. Every one I've owned didn't fit my listening preferences. There was always some bit of brightness, harshness, or excessive sizzle.
M6 pro got good reviews thus I kept it on my list. M6 Ultimate is fighting against the Sony DAP , so it is a tough thing.

As of now going by my current list, Sony, Hiby R6. I wouuld also look closely at the ESS chips.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 24
Shanling M3 Ultra is really all the DAP you need and it's not too $$$
@bamboostreet going through the audioreviews link. ESS Sabre ES9219C seems better than previous versions. Sony does not declare the chips, but have a good conversations about them. Hiby R6 is 2020 model but feels like a good option. Shanling M3Ultra is ESS Sabre ES9219C . Sony would cost me 851USD, HibyR6would cost me 766USD. The gap between them is so less that I feel Sony is a better buy. Whereas Shanling M3U would cost me 522 USD . This makes me see Shanling as the best value currrently .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back