DAP recommendation request for 2 channel stereo system?
Jun 5, 2020 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NewCanadian

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

New here, from Toronto!

I'm seeking a recommendation please for a DAP that I can use in a home two channel system consisting of Klipsch Fortes and some misc integrated amps that I rotate in and out.

I started this path with an LG V30, problem is it does not output its signal to my amps at high volume,
all the tricks in the V30 thread regarding getting it into high impedance mode did not work for me.

To be honest it didn't even seem to sound any better than my iphone or ipdad either.

I am tentatively looking at the HIBY R6 pro.

Would the balanced outputs produce a stronger signal feeding into any of my non balanced amps?

Ideally I would like a nice rotary volume control also.

Looking forward to some suggestions please.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi All,

New here, from Toronto!

I'm seeking a recommendation please for a DAP that I can use in a home two channel system consisting of Klipsch Fortes and some misc integrated amps that I rotate in and out.

I started this path with an LG V30, problem is it does not output its signal to my amps at high volume,
all the tricks in the V30 thread regarding getting it into high impedance mode did not work for me.

To be honest it didn't even seem to sound any better than my iphone or ipdad either.

I am tentatively looking at the HIBY R6 pro.

Would the balanced outputs produce a stronger signal feeding into any of my non balanced amps?

Ideally I would like a nice rotary volume control also.

Looking forward to some suggestions please.
While I love my HiBy R6 Pro I really wouldn’t go balanced to single ended as you are only asking for trouble. Balanced output needs a balanced input. While I haven’t tested the 2 channel output as my old Adcom GFA-555 has died on me and have not got around to replacing it.

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 10
Are you aware there are full-sized DACs?

And why do you need a volume knob? That's what integrated amps are for.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 10
trying to have a full size system utilizing the least amount of space

my amp actually rests on top of the speakers so no audio rack

I like the tiny form factor of DAP's and the advantage of playing source material over a bulkier full size dac

a good external rotary volume would be a bonus as I have a few power amps in mind I would like to try out at some point instead of my integrateds...i.,e. DAP directly to power amp
as well as some powered tower speakers at some point

I don't see much information online about the specific type of volume control on some of the mid to higher end units that incorporate rotary controls

long term goal would be to simply pair this DAP with something like Legacy Audio Focus XD's, ATC SCM40a's or the Buchardt tower actives

my primary goal though at the moment is to simply find a DAP that will output a strong signal both
from its balanced output and 3.5mm

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 10
I don't have any recommendations for a DAP. Fullsize DACs are designed to drive integrated amps, DAPs are designed to drive IEMs. I would think with your excellent speakers you could get a desktop DAC that would do everything you want.

Virtually all sources should be run at 100 % ouput and the volume should be controlled by the integrated amp. Doing it any other way is a bad idea since you won't be driving your amp properly and you risk destroying your speakers if the source runs at full output.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 10
Hey there fellow Canadian!

Most DAP don't have a proper line out implementation to use on integrated amps or even less so amps. They would need to have a preamp section for to pair with an amplifier. You can use the regular 3.5mm out on any DAP if your integrated has a 3.5mm "aux" in but it might not sound the best and like someone said, max sound on DAP and volume control on the integrated.

If you really want to stick with a DAP as your source, you could get any DAP that has a usb DAC out and something like a https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-idsd-bl/ or the Fiio k5 pro that has RCA analog out for integrated but also amps. It's not the best signal chain though and not the best use of those nice speakers.

Someone else might have found a good option for a use case like yours.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 10
Just noticed the Hiby R6 pro has SPDIFf out so that could work if your integrated amp has an SPDIF in. This won't work with amps though. It also has a line out 3.5mm so you could get a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable and that might just work out well with both integrated and amps.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 10
I was just thinking maybe the Chord Mojo would be an option since you asked about a DAP. The Mojo is not a DAP but it's a very good DAC in a small form factor and it has line-level output. You will need a PC, or a phone or tablet with OTG to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back