DAP pickle
Apr 17, 2008 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rhcp_kz

100+ Head-Fier
After hours of researching, I'm still having the hardest time deciding between these 4 players:

Zune 8GB
iAudio 7 8GB
Sony NWZ816 White 4GB
Samsung T10 4GB

The T10 is the cheapest, however the NWZ is the sexiest. The iAudio 7 has the greatest battery life, while the Zune has the best album art support. Maybe you can see why this is a tough choice.

Help me, head-fi community, decide on my next dap!
Give me comments on their pros, cons, and if you have had experience with several, please, tell me your preferences.

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 12
write all the names on 10 sheets of post it notes each. fold them all up and then put it in a mug. mix it up or something.

then start drawing one by one out. the one that comes out LAST will be the one you choose! ahaha

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 12
The Zune 8gb does not have the SQ that the 80gb does (from what I have read from repsected head-fiers). Album art is nice, but it's just a novelty. The Zune also lacks custom EQ support.

The iAudio 7 has a powerful amp, great SQ, but the form factor and controls are not the greatest for a pocket.

The Sony has great SQ, is sexy, supports album art. The amp is a little weak depending on your phones. It drives all my IEMs loudly at 15 (of 30) volume.

Samsung is cheap . . . for a reason. The SQ is only apparently OK. AS is the build and most other things.

I would definitely suggest the Sony. You will not be disappointed (but black is sexier). I would also suggest getting the 8gb. You may not think you need the space, but you will.

Sony NWZ-A816

the Cowon would be my next choice

Cowon iAudio 7 8gb

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 12
thanks for the input, I have always had a desire to have the Sony Walkman. Also, I really do not like touch controls, so that removes the iaudio 7 and the T10. Now, I just have to decide between the zune 8 and the sony walkman. The problem here is that I can get a Zune 8 for the same price as a sony walkman 4gb.

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 12
I would think for an audio device this would be your driver on the Sony!

"The Zune 8gb does not have the SQ that the 80gb does "

JMHO:wink:

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 12
x2 on the Sony.

Its SQ is awesome, it looks sexy and sleek as nothing else, and it feels very solid and durable (because it's aluminium rather than plastic). And unless you use very hard-driven headphones, you shouldn't have a problem with the output. I use my A818 (same thing, but 8GB) with a pair of Denon AH-C551 canalphones, and I never need to go over 13-14 in volume (out of 30). Anything over 15 is too loud.

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 12
X3 on the Sony SQ. I have the A829, and it is really stunning in its sound. It handily bests the Trekstor Vibez I had which is now resting in peace....

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 12
Do NOT get the Zune 8GB. You will regret it so much, especially if you hear a Sony.

Just look for a Sony A818 for a bargain price. You can find them on Ebay, refurbished on Amazon. The price is dropping big time because of the newer models, so take advantage of that!

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 12
is the Zune 8 SQ really that bad? I think the flash zunes are pretty damn sexy as well. I use marshmallows, Koss 75's and Senn HD202 for listening, will the change in SQ be noticeable between the two?

Also, will these players show up as ums hard drives on either windows or mac? I know for a fact Zune does not work on Mac, but does it show up as an external drive on PC?

(If anybody has an A816 they'd like to sell, let me know!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back