DAP or portable DAC/amp…
Dec 30, 2022 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

wagninger

Member of the Trade: Level Audio (Italy)
I recently stepped into the high end mobile hifi territory, got an Empire Ears Odin, a Cayin RU6 dongle DAC and a FiiO BTR5.

I noticed that the Cayin sounds as pleasing to me as the RME Adi-2 Pro does on the Desktop, but only if powered properly. From an iOS device, iPad Pro included, it sounds dull and rather unimpressive, but powered from a laptop, it is really a desktop level experience.

The BTR5 is convenient over Bluetooth, but wired, it is not at the same level as the properly powered Cayin.

A DAP would be a significant expense, considering that I have to pay again for the „smartphone“ hardware and ability to stream my music, which is all already there.

The more logical choice seems to be a portable DAC/Amp, but those seem either too big, not flexible enough (some onboard EQ would be nice) or have other weird drawbacks, like micro usb for charging on the Chord Mojo.

Is there anything that you can recommend?

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 18
I recently stepped into the high end mobile hifi territory, got an Empire Ears Odin, a Cayin RU6 dongle DAC and a FiiO BTR5.

I noticed that the Cayin sounds as pleasing to me as the RME Adi-2 Pro does on the Desktop, but only if powered properly. From an iOS device, iPad Pro included, it sounds dull and rather unimpressive, but powered from a laptop, it is really a desktop level experience.

The BTR5 is convenient over Bluetooth, but wired, it is not at the same level as the properly powered Cayin.

A DAP would be a significant expense, considering that I have to pay again for the „smartphone“ hardware and ability to stream my music, which is all already there.

The more logical choice seems to be a portable DAC/Amp, but those seem either too big, not flexible enough (some onboard EQ would be nice) or have other weird drawbacks, like micro usb for charging on the Chord Mojo.

Is there anything that you can recommend?

The questyle M15 dongle is a really great upgrade over the cayin Ru6. The M15 is dead neutral with better technicalities. Less battery drain and doesn't get hot too.

The M15 has high and low gain and balanced/single ended ports. It has low output impedance and has a dark background. Can power multi Ba sensitive/low impedance fussy IEMs all the way to demanding cans.

I find it the RU6 is a bit too analoguish and warm for me, but YMMV. The M15 can hit almost a midfi DAP quality in terms of sound.

Only thing is the questyle M15 doesn't have independent volume controllers, and some consumers find EMI with certain smartphone models (can ask more at the headfi M15 thread here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introducing-the-questyle-m15-the-brand-new-questyle-shop.962999/)

The M15 also sounds better via laptop than thru a smartphone, similar experience as your above findings via laptop versus phone.

As for DAPs versus portable dac/amps (dongles), yes I think the latter may give better price to performance ratio. However, you might need to factor in battery drain or even memory of the phone (especially if you use lossless files) with dongles. But if via laptop usage, I think the dongles give very good value proposition these past few months.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 18
The questyle M15 dongle is a really great upgrade over the cayin Ru6. The M15 is dead neutral with better technicalities. Less battery drain and doesn't get hot too.

The M15 has high and low gain and balanced/single ended ports. It has low output impedance and has a dark background. Can power multi Ba sensitive/low impedance fussy IEMs all the way to demanding cans.

I find it the RU6 is a bit too analoguish and warm for me, but YMMV. The M15 can hit almost a midfi DAP quality in terms of sound.

Only thing is the questyle M15 doesn't have independent volume controllers, and some consumers find EMI with certain smartphone models (can ask more at the headfi M15 thread here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introducing-the-questyle-m15-the-brand-new-questyle-shop.962999/)

The M15 also sounds better via laptop than thru a smartphone, similar experience as your above findings via laptop versus phone.

As for DAPs versus portable dac/amps (dongles), yes I think the latter may give better price to performance ratio. However, you might need to factor in battery drain or even memory of the phone (especially if you use lossless files) with dongles. But if via laptop usage, I think the dongles give very good value proposition these past few months.
The M15 looks pretty awesome, certainly an eye-pleaser.
In the review there, It says that sensitive IEMs can be driven at 5% volume, which is more or less the case with the Dragonfly Cobalt - I like the volume control on the RU6 for that reason.

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 18

Have you thought about the Fiio BTR7 as a portable DAC/amp? It's got plenty of power and has PEQ functionality in both Bluetooth and wired modes. I settled on this as my go-to portable setup for headphones and IEMs.

Another option might be to buy a cheaper/smaller DAP to use as a DAC/AMP for streaming and a player for local files. The Hiby R3 pro and R5 Gen 2 come mind here. They're both great value and work well for local files but can't really handle streaming (the R3 because of it's limited software, the R5 because its processor isn't fast enough). The R3 pro is smaller than many DAC/amps while the R5 Gen 2 isn't much bigger. The R5 Gen 2 runs Android so you can easily do system wide EQ if that's a route you might be interested in.

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 18
Have you thought about the Fiio BTR7 as a portable DAC/amp? It's got plenty of power and has PEQ functionality in both Bluetooth and wired modes. I settled on this as my go-to portable setup for headphones and IEMs.

Another option might be to buy a cheaper/smaller DAP to use as a DAC/AMP for streaming and a player for local files. The Hiby R3 pro and R5 Gen 2 come mind here. They're both great value and work well for local files but can't really handle streaming (the R3 because of it's limited software, the R5 because its processor isn't fast enough). The R3 pro is smaller than many DAC/amps while the R5 Gen 2 isn't much bigger. The R5 Gen 2 runs Android so you can easily do system wide EQ if that's a route you might be interested in.
Hmm… would the BTR7 just have more power and features than the BTR5, or actually sound better? I like the 5 for its convenience, but sound-wise, I see it more as an emergency option even wired.

The DAP idea is intriguing, I’ll look into the longevity of these devices! If it’s the best option when it comes to sound and portability, I will gladly swallow the cost of these benefits.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 18
499D2A76-07AB-4F9C-AD0A-837B32C3DADE.jpeg

Out of these I like my PAW S2 the best.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 18
Hmm… would the BTR7 just have more power and features than the BTR5, or actually sound better? I like the 5 for its convenience, but sound-wise, I see it more as an emergency option even wired.

The DAP idea is intriguing, I’ll look into the longevity of these devices! If it’s the best option when it comes to sound and portability, I will gladly swallow the cost of these benefits.
I think there might be a slight step up in sound 'quality' with the BTR7 and the Hiby DAPs vs the BTR5, but not much. The benefits of those setups would mostly be additional power and features IMO. It could be worth trying the Cayin RU6 paired to one of the Hiby DAPs though. The issue with the Cayin paired to the iPad might be an iOS limitation not a desktop vs portable limitation.

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 18
I think there might be a slight step up in sound 'quality' with the BTR7 and the Hiby DAPs vs the BTR5, but not much. The benefits of those setups would mostly be additional power and features IMO. It could be worth trying the Cayin RU6 paired to one of the Hiby DAPs though. The issue with the Cayin paired to the iPad might be an iOS limitation not a desktop vs portable limitation.
I think the problem with iOS devices is the power output, limited to 100mW.
It sounds really limp compared to a laptop, and I wouldn’t want to use a DAP plus dongle DAC as a workaround 😃
Seems like a quality DAP with streaming functionality is the way to go…

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 18
It sounds really limp compared to a laptop, and I wouldn’t want to use a DAP plus dongle DAC as a workaround 😃
Look at the Shanling 6M ultra as it could be a very good start.

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Don't underestimate the DAP-dongle combo! It's surprisingly compact... but yeah, it's complicated. FWIW I picked up the Fiio M11 Plus a few weeks ago and am loving it - definite step up from the BTR5 and other bluetooth dongles :heart_eyes:. I found that the M11S sounded equally good and was much more portable but ended up not going for it because of poorer display quality and poorer battery life.

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 18
Have you considered Topping G5 or similar devices (xDuoo XD05 BAL and iFi Gryphon)? They matches desktop performance (perhaps not the exoteric expensive setup, but a normal one like Fiio K7 or Schiit stack) and you can use them wired and wirelessly.

I have not tried Questyle M15, but if it is as good as the reviews, then it might be the dongle that sounds like desktop gear.

Why desktop gear matter? To me, all sources sound crisp and clear and detailed, but desktop class stuffs have larger and more separate soundstage, which I like.

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 18
Look at the Shanling 6M ultra as it could be a very good start.
Looks really promising… you guys send me on a discovery here, but I’m liking what I find I’m
Have you considered Topping G5 or similar devices (xDuoo XD05 BAL and iFi Gryphon)? They matches desktop performance (perhaps not the exoteric expensive setup, but a normal one like Fiio K7 or Schiit stack) and you can use them wired and wirelessly.

I have not tried Questyle M15, but if it is as good as the reviews, then it might be the dongle that sounds like desktop gear.

Why desktop gear matter? To me, all sources sound crisp and clear and detailed, but desktop class stuffs have larger and more separate soundstage, which I like.
i had a brief look at those, but they are so bulky compared to my phone that I already consider the source of my audio, for benefits that I don’t need on the go like enormous power reserves… honestly, I just want Chord to come out with something that doesn’t have a micro USB port I think 😅

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 18
Looks really promising… you guys send me on a discovery here, but I’m liking what I find I’m

i had a brief look at those, but they are so bulky compared to my phone that I already consider the source of my audio, for benefits that I don’t need on the go like enormous power reserves… honestly, I just want Chord to come out with something that doesn’t have a micro USB port I think 😅

That’s why I bought Shanling M6U as well. Should have done that earlier. Way earlier :dt880smile:

The thing is if I were to go shopping with wife, for instance, and I just need to listen to music 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there, I can rely on a decent TWS as any wired combination is clunky in their own ways. When I sit down and enjoy music, I prefer one rather than two devices tangled together. Thus I went with DAP.

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 18
That’s why I bought Shanling M6U as well. Should have done that earlier. Way earlier :dt880smile:

The thing is if I were to go shopping with wife, for instance, and I just need to listen to music 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there, I can rely on a decent TWS as any wired combination is clunky in their own ways. When I sit down and enjoy music, I prefer one rather than two devices tangled together. Thus I went with DAP.
apparently I was very tired yesterday... the first time I read this, I thought you´re bringing a DAP and nice in ears with you when you go shopping with your wife.

I have very young kids, so 5 minutes of rest don´t exist, but I can see myself going the DAP route now. It just seemed strange to me at first, I have a perfectly capable device already in my pocket, but even a dongle can't do much because of power limitations, so I need to buy a device that seems severely outdated from the moment I buy it (coming from the iOS world, of course everything is on the newest software at all times, sometimes public betas if I get an itch), with an operating system that it doesn't share with anything else in the house.
It's funny to me that I need an Android device for a nice, on-the-go Apple Music listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back