DAP for streaming (Spotify, Tidal, ...)
Sep 29, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #17 of 34
Hi There. This is an interesting thread which I may be able to contribute to a little. I have the Onkyo DPX1A which streams Tidal MQA for on/offline listening. It works very well apart from one small issue: I can only listen via a wired connection to Tidal MQA: It will not stream in Bluetooth Mode. I don't know if this issue is confined to my own DAP or all of them. Worth investigating though. Or there may be another make/model that will stream Tidal MQA in Bluetooth.

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #18 of 34
Hi There. This is an interesting thread which I may be able to contribute to a little. I have the Onkyo DPX1A which streams Tidal MQA for on/offline listening. It works very well apart from one small issue: I can only listen via a wired connection to Tidal MQA: It will not stream in Bluetooth Mode. I don't know if this issue is confined to my own DAP or all of them. Worth investigating though. Or there may be another make/model that will stream Tidal MQA in Bluetooth.

Sep 29, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #19 of 34
Hi, unfortunately I don’t and have never used the Bluetooth feature on my Dap. I don’t own Bluetooth headphones or iem’s either. Sorry I was unable to help you.

-Paul-

Please disregard the previous post. I don’t quite know what occurred.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #20 of 34
Hi, unfortunately I don’t and have never used the Bluetooth feature on my Dap. I don’t own Bluetooth headphones or iem’s either. Sorry I was unable to help you.

-Paul-

Please disregard the previous post. I don’t quite know what occurred.
I like to use both wired & wireless. There are times when Bluetooth is so convenient. My point earlier was that it would appear that on the Onkyo (at least) streaming Tidal MQA can only be achieved via a wired connection. Which would suit you by the look of it.

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #21 of 34
I like to use both wired & wireless. There are times when Bluetooth is so convenient. My point earlier was that it would appear that on the Onkyo (at least) streaming Tidal MQA can only be achieved via a wired connection. Which would suit you by the look of it.
Yes I agree. Aren’t they supposed to be the same unit more or less. I could be totally wrong. I love my Dap too, it’s such a versatile player as I am sure is the Onkyo. I have been meaning to look into Tidal MQA. It’s piqued my curiosity. Thanks.

-Paul-

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #22 of 34
Dear friends,

I have a HTC 10 that works very well. The dac/amp is very good and I really like it. Anyway intend to go next for a DAP that supports Spotify (95% of my music comes from Spotify).

I have no preference regarding brands so what can you recommend?

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 34
Dear friends,

I have a HTC 10 that works very well. The dac/amp is very good and I really like it. Anyway intend to go next for a DAP that supports Spotify (95% of my music comes from Spotify).

For best UI and performance, I recommend the Hiby R6.
For best sound, I recommend the iBasso DX200.
For best price per performance, I recommend the FiiO X7 mark II.
For best price, I recommend the Onkyo DP-X1A, used.

Would you consider a stacking solution with the phone? Initially I did not, but it's now what I'm doing most of the time. I got a Sony A45 player for when I'm running, but otherwise, smartphone + dac/amp can be quite satisfactory. I prefer the Topping NX4 DSD (++ sound, +/- battery), but also like the FiiO Q5 (+ sound, + battery) quite a lot. I have the RHA Dacamp L1 (+ sound, +/- battery), but I don't need the power it's got, and I have found more liked IEMs in the Flares Gold and the Empire Ears Zeus XRA. My emergency backup is the Radsone Earstudio ES100. (+/- sound, + battery, ++ connectivity).

I have not listened to, but have heard positive things about which may fit your needs:

- iBasso DX150 (cheaper than the DX200, but will have different sound signature)
- Pioneer XDP-300R (I honestly don't know why it exists when there's there DP-X1A, but it seems well-liked.)
- FiiO X5 mark III (I've listened to it - can have hiss with sensitive IEMs, and has a slow UI, but sounds better than the DP-X1A to me, and is very well received. It's earned its honors.)

Note: All these devices are Android devices. Only the Hiby R6 has the DTA architecture to bypass the android sample rate conversion. If that matters, then you have a no-brainer. Keep in mind that the DX200, DX150, X7II and X5III all have a separate player mode to allow you to bypass the SRC. I believe this is present in the Onkyo and Pioneer players, too. However, this should not impact the sound you get from Spotify.

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #24 of 34
Dear friends,

I am also on the look out for a DAP but just to say be wary of ibasso product if you plan on using 3rd party apps like tidal or spotify. They do not 'officially' have google play I think its because its a chinese brand and you can still download it but its a bit weird performing. If you download spotify it works and you can still download music for offline play but everytime a new update comes you gotta download the new whole app and not just update it lol.

Edit= ignore the google play. It's not entirely integrated into the DAP. You gotta side load from other apps like Apptoide which works. Source=https://headfonics.com/2018/07/dx150/2/ A review

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #26 of 34
@Victorfabius or anyone else current ... April 2019, what’s the best sounding and most stable solution for:

Spotify + offline support + no SRC

Understand that I don't have Spotify, so I cannot say with 100% certainty that the following allow for offline support, but the Hiby R6 is probably the best solution from a sound/stable perspective. The R6 Pro has some benefits, such as lower output impedance, and if you're a 4.4mm balanced convert, then that's the one for you. The OG R6 has come down in price, making it a cheaper option, particularly if used is ok.

FiiO is coming out with the M11 soon, which ticks a lot of boxes, but requires you to side load your apps, and I do not know if this will impact your ability to use it offline. However, FiiO has a long history of unstable firmware on release, and the M11 is expected in May. They have made strides in addressing firmware issues, and with the direction the company has taken with regard to it operating system, they may be able to have more consistency in their product line.

If you can't wait, FiiO has an interesting option in the M9. Spotify is a whitelisted app, so you could install it, and I don't think the player has SRC. There's some conflicting information on whether offline is supported, but the most recent feedback I saw (not on this site) indicates that it does. Browse the M9 forum for more information on whether this is stable and gives you the sound you want.

If sideloading Spotify is an option that allows for offline, then certain A&K players - Norma (SR15), Futura (SE100), and Ultima (SP1000), will allow you sideload your app. This instantly helps put one of the more premier portable players into consideration for your needs.

You've got more choices, now, but I think the Hiby R6 may still be king of that particular hill.

Victorfabius

Apr 8, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #28 of 34
I am currently using the Fiio M9 and it runs both Spotify and Tidal online and offline perfectly. It's a really good DAP for its convenience, size, price and sound but if you don't mind waiting out a bit more then you can check out the M11 that will be releasing soon otherwise you can go with the Hiby R6 Pro which cost a little bit more but I've seen a lot great reviews on it. Unfortunately, I did not spend enough time on the R6 Pro to tell you how great it is but what comes to mind is how fast and beautiful the UI is and the feeling when you hold onto that build is amazing.

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #29 of 34
I am currently using the Fiio M9 and it runs both Spotify and Tidal online and offline perfectly. It's a really good DAP for its convenience, size, price and sound but if you don't mind waiting out a bit more then you can check out the M11 that will be releasing soon otherwise you can go with the Hiby R6 Pro which cost a little bit more but I've seen a lot great reviews on it. Unfortunately, I did not spend enough time on the R6 Pro to tell you how great it is but what comes to mind is how fast and beautiful the UI is and the feeling when you hold onto that build is amazing.
Hello. I'm also looking for a smooth running android DAP. As you own the M9, can you tell me if ever had some lags, freezes or slowdowns using M9's user interface ? According to his specifications, it could be the DAP I am looking for, but I've also read it was not running Android very smooth ? What's your opinion on this please ?

Jun 19, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #30 of 34
Hello. I'm also looking for a smooth running android DAP. As you own the M9, can you tell me if ever had some lags, freezes or slowdowns using M9's user interface ? According to his specifications, it could be the DAP I am looking for, but I've also read it was not running Android very smooth ? What's your opinion on this please ?
Hi, the M9 did not really lag while I was on my own library, everything felt pretty snappy and responsive. The only time where there'll be a lag is when I change from the default Fiio Music app to a streaming app like Tidal or Spotify. The lag is probably less than 2 seconds so it didn't really bother me that much. The UI and all is very good for the price point but the sound signature of the DAP is a bit on the warmer side so if possible, do demo it before making the purchase. Check out the M11 as well, the upgrade on features, screen and UI is huge. Everything about it is way better compared to the M9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back