DAP Challenge Chart (Including 26 Portable Sources, the BIT Opus 1 added. More to come..)
Feb 22, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #136 of 165
Having heard the majority of the DAPs on the list, I should mention that the Aune M2 deserves a spot for top SQ if you ignore the primitive UI and poor battery life. Just had it and the matching B1 amp for a week on tour. It is an amazing DAP that doesn't need an external Amp to drive CIEMs to their top SQ. Paired with the matching Aune B1 amp, the stack is driving my LCD2.2s as good as any desktop I have heard in terms of sound stage, impact, and detail. The Aune lineup has the best treble I have ever heard with some of the best transparency providing a very magical listening experience.

Right now, I am waiting to hear it again head to head with the M1 pro to see how much better the SQ can get with the improved clocks in the Pro version.

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #137 of 165
  Having heard the majority of the DAPs on the list, I should mention that the Aune M2 deserves a spot for top SQ if you ignore the primitive UI and poor battery life. Just had it and the matching B1 amp for a week on tour. It is an amazing DAP that doesn't need an external Amp to drive CIEMs to their top SQ. Paired with the matching Aune B1 amp, the stack is driving my LCD2.2s as good as any desktop I have heard in terms of sound stage, impact, and detail. The Aune lineup has the best treble I have ever heard with some of the best transparency providing a very magical listening experience.

Right now, I am waiting to hear it again head to head with the M1 pro to see how much better the SQ can get with the improved clocks in the Pro version.

Thank you for the info. M2 seems to be an interesting player. Hope I can test it somehow and add its score to the list. 

How about the battery life of M2? Too bad?

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #138 of 165

Thank you for the info. M2 seems to be an interesting player. Hope I can test it somehow and add its score to the list. 

How about the battery life of M2? Too bad?

Didn't actually do a drain test so I am estimating, and this was a prototype version on tour with the battery upgraded in the final production version. The production version is rated at 8 hours where I was getting 4 to 6 hours with the prototype. My CIEMs, hidition nt6pro seem to drain DACs faster than their expected life too. The little over 4 hours came with the LCD2.2 and the stack. Not sure why the m2 drained when it was stacked with the b1, but it was noticable. Regardless, even though it seems to require a daily charge, the sq is good enough for my use case - driving the Audeze at night in bed.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #139 of 165
Didn't actually do a drain test so I am estimating, and this was a prototype version on tour with the battery upgraded in the final production version. The production version is rated at 8 hours where I was getting 4 to 6 hours with the prototype. My CIEMs, hidition nt6pro seem to drain DACs faster than their expected life too. The little over 4 hours came with the LCD2.2 and the stack. Not sure why the m2 drained when it was stacked with the b1, but it was noticable. Regardless, even though it seems to require a daily charge, the sq is good enough for my use case - driving the Audeze at night in bed.

That's interesting. How about DSD playing? Is it native or? 

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #143 of 165
Do you planning to try Onkyo DP-X1, Pioneer XDP-100, Questyle QP1R and Hifiman 901S mate ?

Thanks..

May 20, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #146 of 165
  I recently reviewed the OPUS #1 - It's currently my favourite player at its price point!

Nice review! 
redface.gif
  It has a really good price/performance ratio. 

May 24, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #147 of 165
nice comparisons but just curious , was ZX2 tried with TRRS and the sound enhancement app disabled ?

it makes quite a difference (for the better) , this is the general conensus over at the zx2 thread

cheers

May 24, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #148 of 165
  nice comparisons but just curious , was ZX2 tried with TRRS and the sound enhancement app disabled ?

it makes quite a difference (for the better) , this is the general conensus over at the zx2 thread

cheers

Sotiris,

The test was made with single ended plug and there was no app, all standard. With TRRS, there should be a difference. Otherwise, it would be meaningless. 

May 26, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #149 of 165
Mike,

Are the Opus scores in the chart reflecting the newest 1.11 firmware?   The reason I ask is that yesterday @twister6 posted an update in the Opus thread and said:

" Boom! and just like that v1.11 firmware update fixed the artwork problem (all good now!) and the sound had a very subtle change where now it's hard to tell the difference between PAW Gold and Opus#1.  Just spent 20min with ES60 w/SuperBaX cable, switching between LPG and Opus while listening to KSHMR latest EP, and both sources sound nearly the same.  While Opus used to be a touch warmer and had less aggressive mid-bass punch (slower attack), now I hear it close to LPG.  I also could swear that Opus sounds as transparent now.  Will do more listening tomorrow with fresh ears (tired after a long day), but so far I'm VERY happy with what I'm hearing."

Thank you in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back