DAP as source in car
Mar 10, 2018 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ravinder

New Head-Fier
Hi
I have installed couple of decent SQ oriented car music systems, first being Alpine 9853 HU with separate amp and components speakers in 2005 and then ipod classic+iphone 4s connected to Helix P DSP via pure i20 DAC to rest of system.But now my music collection has grown much bigger and is around 500GB. But only 10-15is 24bit and rest all is CD rips.

Now I have helix P six DSP and would like to use under $1000 DAP as music source because of its smaller size as compared to tablets or carputer. Also i don't want to use CD any more.
Helix DSP has optical input and there is optional HD audio extension card which can be installed in DSP and will have USB input for connecting android/apple devices via OTG/CCK cable.

I have almost selected AK70mkii as it has all what I need in a DAP I want to use as source like optical ouput (so no need to buy usb extension card), otg support for flash drive, external HDD ( which I have plenty) and separate usb input for charging.

AK70mkii fits the bill in every aspect but my heart is pumping for Kann which I don't know why. Please help me to decide which one to go, in other words which has better SQ?

BTW I live in remote city and have no access to showrooms so have to buy based on recommendations.

Also can I use line out of Kann to optical input of DSP bypassing its internal DAC?

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Now I have helix P six DSP and would like to use under $1000 DAP as music source because of its smaller size as compared to tablets or carputer. Also i don't want to use CD any more.
Helix DSP has optical input and there is optional HD audio extension card which can be installed in DSP and will have USB input for connecting android/apple devices via OTG/CCK cable.

If you're using SPDIF then an Android miniPC controlled by a smartphone app as a headless audio server will work better. Otherwise if you're using USB might as well use an Android phone or tablet.

Either way, barring flagship smartphones, you'd end up spending a lot less on the Android machines than a HiFi DAP.

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 11
Can not install Android minipc because it will need heavy modification which is not possible where I live. I have 512GB surface pro 2 and one plus 3 and galaxy note 8 mobile phones. How I can control music on surface with either phone?

I might put 256GB microSDXC card in note 8 but what about rest of music? I could not not do it with one plus 3.

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 11
How I can control music on surface with either phone?
lots of bluetooth control apps out there... try something like remote control connection or even chrome remote desktop

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 11
Will these apps allow bit perfect transmission of audio files?

I can keep surface pro in glove box or back of front seats and attach it to Helix DSP via Helix USB HD audio extension card.

Will it work without any loss in quality of music being transmitted?

Edit- I just tried teamviewer on my laptop and 1+3. This is PITA.

How can I access whole laptop screen from a tiny 5.5" mobile phone screen while driving?

Any better solution?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Will these apps allow bit perfect transmission of audio files?

Wrong question. Using a remote control app just controls the surface as the audio source.

How can I access whole laptop screen from a tiny 5.5" mobile phone screen while driving?

These were examples, there are many others available which will enable the phone to be used as a simple remote rather than beaming the screen. Try google, it's exceptionally helpful.

Any better solution?

Try a little research! Windows voice control?!

Mar 11, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #7 of 11
Can not install Android minipc because it will need heavy modification which is not possible where I live. I have 512GB surface pro 2 and one plus 3 and galaxy note 8 mobile phones.

Not on the Surface, at least I don't know if full control is possible unlike with Android where the remote app on the mobile device makes it the interface for the main device. Kind of like if you have a fast internet connection and you can run TeamViewer and cloud storage so a moderately fast Ultrabook with a dual core i7 can fully control a high performance workstation remotely.

Best I know of Windows main device controlled by an Android will be on specific apps that have Android remote apps, like MediaMonkey.

How heavy are the modifications you think are involved anyway? You can run a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter so the miniPC powerbrick can run on the car's battery, like how some cars have Playstations. On initial set up you need to have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, but once the Android remote fully set up, you can tuck the miniPC under one of the seats or install it under a plexiglass window with storage behind it (if it's anywhere near the subwoofers, use SSDs).

Otherwise then might as well just use the Note 8 via USB OTG direct into the Helix DSP's USB input (assuming it works that way) than blowing another thousand bucks on the DAP

I might put 256GB microSDXC card in note 8 but what about rest of music? I could not not do it with one plus 3.

You can't. You can run USB OTG storage but then you can't stream the content via USB OTG.

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Not on the Surface, at least I don't know if full control is possible unlike with Android where the remote app on the mobile device makes it the interface for the main device. Kind of like if you have a fast internet connection and you can run TeamViewer and cloud storage so a moderately fast Ultrabook with a dual core i7 can fully control a high performance workstation remotely.

Best I know of Windows main device controlled by an Android will be on specific apps that have Android remote apps, like MediaMonkey.

How heavy are the modifications you think are involved anyway? You can run a 12v DC to 120v AC inverter so the miniPC powerbrick can run on the car's battery, like how some cars have Playstations. On initial set up you need to have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, but once the Android remote fully set up, you can tuck the miniPC under one of the seats or install it under a plexiglass window with storage behind it (if it's anywhere near the subwoofers, use SSDs).

Otherwise then might as well just use the Note 8 via USB OTG direct into the Helix DSP's USB input (assuming it works that way) than blowing another thousand bucks on the DAP

You can't. You can run USB OTG storage but then you can't stream the content via USB OTG.

You are spot on mate. I tried many remote desktop apps and all the apps are beaming full window screen to 1+3. In fact one app was outputting sound too. lol

Since last decade I was thinking of a portable player the size of mobile phone which can act as source. As I'm from small city modifications to install car pc/tablet are not possible options.

No disrespect to anyone here but I do have good amount knowledge in car audio systems regarding installations. All I want to know from experts like you is out of Kann and 70mkii which one has better SQ. I have read conflicting reviews of both of these players so that's why I'm here.

AK70 mkii is like a dream DAP I'm looking for with optical output which will go straight to DSP. So no weak link in the chain which already is very fragile in car environment.
But something tells me that Kann has better SQ and I only need to add a USB card to use Kann.

BTW AC inverters in cars are not good idea for audio systems. There are enough numbers of 12v power supplies available online for any application.

Galxy note 8 with 256GB microSD card might be very good option. I can use USB C based USB hub and connect it to USB extension card of DSP and 256GB flash drive.It might not be possible from what I have gathered from net.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back