DAP and Headphone vs amp and Headphone
Mar 21, 2016 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GSRswapandslow

New Head-Fier
So last week I had the opportunity to finally listen to some decent headphones at Stereo Design in San Diego, while out there on business.   I listened to Grado SR125e, SR225e, RS2, and RS1 headphones.   The SR225e and RS1 were amazing to me....i could turn off all EQ's on my phone (listening to 320hz mp3 and FLAC files) and was blown away when comparing them to my Klipsch R6 and Sennhesier HD248's...

So....given a $400-500 total budget......would i better off buying a Fiio X1 or X3 and then headphones....or keep using my phone (Galaxy S6 using Poweramp) and put the money into a modi/mangi stack and headphones?

As much as I REALLY enjoyed the RS1's...they're out of my budget...but the SR225's (which i felt were a step up from the SR125's) would are within said budget.   I wanted to try the SR325, but was told they are very hard to keep in stock.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 20
Can the Galaxy S6 even be connected to the Schiit Modi?
Is this setup for sitting at a desk, or moving around the house, or for traveling?

Maybe buy the headphones you want, then use whatever is leftover in your audio budget for a FiiO DAP.
You might be able to get a used FiiO X3 Gen II for around $150.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 20
I think that if you listen to your music more on the go then DAP is the way to go. However, seeing that your choice is a pair of open SR225's that aren't suitable outdoors, probably think you're looking more for a desktop set so go for the Schiit stack!

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 20
The biggest gain in sound quality nearly always comes from optimizing the headphone component of the equation. I would do that. I would spend the majority of your budget on cans to get the best pair you can possibly afford, whether that is $350 or whatever you find. Then, see what you have left over for a DAP or whatever (@PurpleAngel's suggestion is a good one). You can always add that element later, if need be. A really solid set of cans will last a significant period of time (look at how long the HD600 has been on the market).

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 20
i would prefer a set of isolating headphones...but havent had a chance to listen to any closed back ones yet. i need to find a shop that carries more brands locally.

and this would be for sitting and enjoying. plan was to buy a cheap amp to band to my phone ans using my mee m6pro for trips and activitey.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 20
I'd get the RS2e now, enjoy it with just the S6, and then maybe later on get something like the Ibasso D-Zero Mk2. You won't get a lot of gains with an amplifier on Grados considering how sensitive they are, comparable to IEMs, but a little bit more current and damping factor can clean up the bass, and if noise is lowered then you can hear the percussion a lot cleaner too. It's with isolation that you'll run into trouble with and quite frankly if I have Grados I'd rather close all the windows and run the A/C on low output mode while running the them out of a smartphone than run them on a Mjolnir with the windows open.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 20
well the only issue with the Grado's is the fact that i have 2 kids (almost 2 and 7) and a wife that works 3rd shift.............which is why i didn't walk out of the store with them in San Diego.    May sound dumb...but i'm unsure how loud they are to the people around me...

is there a good headphone around the $200-300 that sounds like the grado with a bit more isolation?

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 20
Unfortunately, I don't really think there is anything that truly sounds like a Grado--they are that unique. That said, if you want either an open or closed option at $200-$300, we could generate you a list, certainly.

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 20
Honestly.........i think a list of places to try out different sets would help me more than anything.

My plan now is to skip the desktop stack and put more money into the headphones and then buy a portable amp to go along with my phone, for now....AND i'll prob swing for an X1

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the only issue with the Grado's is the fact that i have 2 kids (almost 2 and 7) and a wife that works 3rd shift.............which is why i didn't walk out of the store with them in San Diego.    May sound dumb...but i'm unsure how loud they are to the people around me...

Are they in the same room making a lot of noise? Because it's never just one way. If they're not in the same room and you can't hear whatever they're doing without the headphones on, then you won't need to crank up the headphones, ergo they won't hear you either. If you have to be in the same room as any of them, tough luck, do not get Grados.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

is there a good headphone around the $200-300 that sounds like the grado with a bit more isolation?

Not in that price range. For $450 though you can get a Headphile Vixen - an SR325 (or other models if you pay more) in a Beyer chassis - but as much as you get better isolation given you now have Beyer earpads around your ears, you still have a lot of the sound from the drivers going out the very open back that still has a grill just good enough to keep large foreign objects from ramming the drivers. My HD600 also once properly driven by a good amplifier was very similar to my SR225, except it had more precise imaging (if at least compared to the SR225), but again it's an open headphone with barely any isolation behind the driver.

For In-Ear Monitors the old Westone UM3X is a little bit similar to the SR225, but I'm not sure about the current UM30 as I haven't heard it.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 20
  the schiit stack can be used with many portable devices such as phones, tablets, and similar. and even the ps4 apparently. atleast according to the faq under modi/magni on there site.

COOL :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 20
well i just bought an x1 and e11k amp....so i guess ill have to just see what sounds good with that combo

Let us know how it works out for you.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back