Dangerous Music Convert-2 DAC Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 25, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #31 of 44
Wondering if anyone has experience with using / trying a high quality attenuator to live between the Convert 2 outs and the monitor amp ?

Been considering a Goldpoint SA1X or 2X as I've had trouble with other "monitor controllers" being able to "deal with" reproducing the full 18dbu of the Convert.

That, and although I've never been able to find an attenuator to live between the Converts outs and monitor amp that doesn't compromise, or subjugate the Converts Full bodied extension (& full 18dbu output) ...
I'm also painfully aware that there was "a real clarity gained" when I used for example, the 2400 audio controller.
Shame there was such a db and body loss with that one.

ie; Still hunting for a reasonably priced and most important, compatible solution.
My main issue is the Convert (at very low monitor levels) does become troublesome with clear L/R staging imbalance.
I have the same issue so I hope you find a solution and share it, but for me it's not a major problem.

My bigger issue is that my unit, and I imagine all of them, is for all listening levels much more resolving and thus more enjoyable with its output trim bypassed. So when I listen to Tidal and iTunes I control the volume by using the respective screen sliders on these apps - it's very finicky because they must be set near to mute otherwise it would be dangerously loud

My goal is to find a better way to attenuate upstream from the Convert 2. Any ideas welcome!

(BTW after having both the Convert and the Solaris for 11 months I ended up only playing the latter when I was half asleep when easy listening type sound was appropriate. When fully alert I found it sounded wretchedly distorted and unresolving compared to the Convert. It sold on eBAY for my asking price within an hour of posting, maybe partly because of the nonsense posted about it on Gearslutz.)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #32 of 44
Ended up just turning down the volume adjustment at the back of each loudspeaker. Now the slider controls on my streaming apps, YouTube, etc. are much easier to use.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #33 of 44
I have the same issue so I hope you find a solution and share it, but for me it's not a major problem.

My bigger issue is that my unit, and I imagine all of them, is for all listening levels much more resolving and thus more enjoyable with its output trim bypassed. So when I listen to Tidal and iTunes I control the volume by using the respective screen sliders on these apps - it's very finicky because they must be set near to mute otherwise it would be dangerously loud

My goal is to find a better way to attenuate upstream from the Convert 2. Any ideas welcome!

(BTW after having both the Convert and the Solaris for 11 months I ended up only playing the latter when I was half asleep when easy listening type sound was appropriate. When fully alert I found it sounded wretchedly distorted and unresolving compared to the Convert. It sold on eBAY for my asking price within an hour of posting, maybe partly because of the nonsense posted about it on Gearslutz.)
you need a monitor controller like in most studios and consoles.

lok up the Burl Orca. Also, since I had posted my original post on here, I’ve since moved to a Burl DAC and it smokes the convert.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #34 of 44
Wondering if anyone has experience with using / trying a high quality attenuator to live between the Convert 2 outs and the monitor amp ?

Been considering a Goldpoint SA1X or 2X as I've had trouble with other "monitor controllers" being able to "deal with" reproducing the full 18dbu of the Convert.

That, and although I've never been able to find an attenuator to live between the Converts outs and monitor amp that doesn't compromise, or subjugate the Converts Full bodied extension (& full 18dbu output) ...
I'm also painfully aware that there was "a real clarity gained" when I used for example, the 2400 audio controller.
Shame there was such a db and body loss with that one.

ie; Still hunting for a reasonably priced and most important, compatible solution.
My main issue is the Convert (at very low monitor levels) does become troublesome with clear L/R staging imbalance.

the Convert2 was designed to have a monitor controller after it (Monitor ST).

with out the attenuator, the signal path is much cleaner. Having a dedicated unit to bring you down to proper monitoring (-18) rather than line Level is critical....they put their attenuator on because some studio cats use the piece remotely into a headphone amp or something on remotes.

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #36 of 44
your sound quality would improve if you had a monitor controller between your dac and speaker, and then leave your speaker wide open like normal.
Thanks for your input. However I have been advised by the king of mods on the Audio Science Review forum that my current set up is optimal based on a listening test of hiss from the loudspeakers at their current volume setting and at significantly less than their current volume setting: cannot hear any hiss from them from 1 m away on axis with ear at tweeter level with power on and computer and DAC connected playing no music. (I listen off axis to each speaker from 1.3 to 1.6 m away.)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #37 of 44
Hi, anyone here who used the Convert-2 also have experience with any Chord DACs, particularly the Hugo 2/Qutest? Any thoughts on how they compare? I have a Hugo 2 now and wonder if there’s an argument for replacing with a Convert-2. Thanks.

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #39 of 44
Hi, anyone who is using the Convert-2 and has tested it in comparision with other "high-end" dacs?
I compared to Hugo 2 when I had the Convert-2. Favorable comparison, I would say. From memory, the Hugo 2 was more polite, a bit softer on some transients and didn’t have the same urgent bass attack and slam. Can’t really recall of one one was especially more detailed than the other – about in the same league, I think.

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #40 of 44
I compared to Hugo 2 when I had the Convert-2. Favorable comparison, I would say. From memory, the Hugo 2 was more polite, a bit softer on some transients and didn’t have the same urgent bass attack and slam. Can’t really recall of one one was especially more detailed than the other – about in the same league, I think.
They are sold at the same price more or less.
What are you using now?

Somebody compared to some "heaven" PRO DACs such as Prism Sound DA2 or Lavry Gold?

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #41 of 44
They are sold at the same price more or less.
What are you using now?

Somebody compared to some "heaven" PRO DACs such as Prism Sound DA2 or Lavry Gold?
Yeah it’s only pro DAC I’ve had, but I also saw a lot of very favorable comparisons to much higher end Pro DACs.

I’m using a Matrix Element X, which is maybe a bit more detailed than Hugo 2 but not by much. Mostly wanted the build-in streamer and to have both RCA and XLR outs. (that’s one drawback of Pro DACs – just one set of XLR outs).

I ultimately returned the Convert-2 to vintage king

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #42 of 44
I don't want to necro the dangerous source thread so will post here. Anyone using windows 10 + usb with Convert 2 or Dangerous Source? I can't get DS to even be seen by the PC, tried my PC and my Laptop. Drivers from DM installed but nothing happening. Maybe something with modern uefi computer bios isn't friendly?

I know historically xmos usb drivers have been a pain in the butt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back