Danger Of Low Impedance Phones On High Setting
Feb 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

loveha

New Head-Fier
I have an HT Omega Claro Halo Sound Card set to the high setting which is 32-600 Ohms. Besides having to turn the volume down really really low, any dangers to powering phones with an Impedance of 25 Ohms? Specifically the Denon AH-D7000. Or should I set the sound card back to the Low setting for 32 Ohms and Below. It's on the High Setting for my K702's which are 62 Ohms, and I also use my Grado 325's on the same setting as well which are 32 Ohms, just have to have the volume on the computer at 10-15 for the Grado's. Also have the Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 on order which are 29 Ohms if I am not mistaken.
I could run the K702 on the low setting, but it doesn't sound that great. Or hook them up to my receiver, but I don't care for the sound from it.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 7
Is it a big hassle to switch to low when using the Denons and switch back to high for your other phones?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 7
Is it a big hassle to switch to low when using the Denons and switch back to high for your other phones?

Unfortunately it is, I have to physically pull the card out. Need to disconnect the RCA wires that run to it, unscrew it, move two little jumpers and put it back in and hook it all back up. Now having to do that each time I wanted to switch headphones would just drive me crazy and would be a hassle.
If it was not going to be so hard, I wouldn't really worry about it much.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 7
If you get a lead that fits the jumper pin spacing you could wire in a switch to change the jumper. That is if switching it hot won't kill the card.

I would leave it on high and use an impedance adapter hoping it improves sound quality rather than degrades it.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
If you get a lead that fits the jumper pin spacing you could wire in a switch to change the jumper. That is if switching it hot won't kill the card.

I would leave it on high and use an impedance adapter hoping it improves sound quality rather than degrades it.

Can you elaborate please?

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 7
It's a short cable with a male end and a female end much like an extension but there is a resistor inline with each signal cable in order to increase the impedance of the load on the amplifier. Some low impedance headphones use an optional adapter to change the frequency response and power usage slightly. 

You can pick whatever impedance you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back