Dang it - there is TOO a burn-in for armature IEMs (at least for Shures) (I think)
Nov 25, 2006 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Torula Yeast

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I've seen the debate, and I understand the consensus is that balanced armature IEMs do not have the burn-in period of dynamic drivers, but I'm here to argue otherwise -- at least in the case of the Shure e-line and albeit w/o any cite other than my own experience.

My story begins a while back with my purchase of the e2c's. Although I was not a neophyte w/r/t IEMs (previous models having been the Sony MDR 51 and 91), and despite the ton of hype I'd seen online about this model, my immediate reaction after obtaining a pair was stark disappointment. Only after gamely partaking in multiple listening sessions did I finally come to grudgingly appreciate the e2c's little niche they'd carved for themselves as being both accurate for the money and (well, somewhat) musical.

From there I found myself sampling the UE sf5 EB's and then sticking with a pair of UE sf5 pros, both of which sounded to me out of the carton as they did after further use; full-bodied and quite decently accurate. But still, I sought a warmer sound in a fully-sealed IEM.

Enter my big ol' jump back to the company that made the IEMs which had so disappointed me, and I put down 4+ Benjamins for the e500's, of which I'd read here and elsewhere offered a more resonant bass than the UE tf10 p's. But upon first sampling this pair after waiting for their arrival (as in, you know you're a Head-fi-er when . . . you spend three days tracking the FedEx shipment of your most recent IEM order by dedicating a browser to the shipping number all day at work and hitting refresh multiple times per hour), I was, again, disappointed in my lastest Shure acquisition.

To wit, the SQ struck me as thin and anemic despite their apparent accuracy, so lacking in their purported robust warmth that I was nigh tempted to throw the pair back in the box from which they'd come and returning to sender.

But I saw the advice offered here to keep with them, and so I did. Now, a week later, they strike me as pair of detailed monitors with - if you'll pardon my French - a pleasingly ballsy bass, as advertised.

Now, I've certainly seen the argument that sometimes it's one's brain that is the instrument that needs to burn in with a new pair of high-end IEMs. But I beg to differ. And I'm well aware that a good seal is needed for the best sound of universal IEMs, and I know when I've got that seal and when I don't. And to my ears, with the passing of a week of playing these new Shures, they sound fuller, richer, and emanently more worth their purchase price than when they first arrived.

Doubt me if you shall -- I'm certainly not above listening to reasoned argument. But I say that at least the Shure line seems to benefit in SQ from a few laps around the track.

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, at the very least, e2c has a dynamic driver

I think you're just getting used to the sound

x2

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 49
Quote:

Well, at the very least, e2c has a dynamic driver

Ah... well, then, that would perhaps explain my experience with this pair.

Quote:

I think you're just getting used to the sound

Here's the thing, though - what I hoped for from the e500's was something approaching the nice, tectonically-rumbly bass I can get from my humble PX100's and SR60's. And I can compare and have been comparing the e500's bass with the aforementioned cans, and am finding the e500's catching up, whereas my Sony and UE IEMs did not strike me as having any similar sort of "low-range learning curve."

Not dismissing you. Just intrigued by my little anecdotal experience.
cool.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 49
I felt like my old E3c has burn-in too...I was kind of disappointing about E3c bass at the begining, but after 100+hrs the bass responce is somehow increased. It was quite a change, especially when i compare it to my ER6i which hasn't change its sound since i got it last year.

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I felt like my old E3c has burn-in too...I was kind of disappointing about E3c bass at the begining, but after 100+hrs the bass responce is somehow increased. It was quite a change, especially when i compare it to my ER6i which hasn't change its sound since i got it last year.

IMO there's no such thing as burn in for IEM's. When I got my E4's again the first thing that struck me was that they sounded no differant. I just think its your brain getting used to the sound mixed in with your mind just enjoying the music for what it is.

Nov 25, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO there's no such thing as burn in for IEM's. When I got my E4's again the first thing that struck me was that they sounded no different. I just think its your brain getting used to the sound mixed in with your mind just enjoying the music for what it is.

To be absolutely honest, I thought I experienced burn in with the E500 too, but I was assured by a Shure staff registered on Head-Fi that they could detect no differences using FR analysis.

That said, I have a feeling that the crossover network may be susceptible to burn-in. (The E500 is two way, and hence requires a crossover circuit) I'm quite sure that in speaker-fi, some people are absolutely adamant about this. But that's just like saying cables burn-in too. (won't the E500 cable burn-in?
icon10.gif
)

To confuse the matter even more, most members of a certain Hong Kong Head-Fi equivalent headphone forum seem to believe in IEM burn-in. There's even a specific thread on the E500 with users reporting every so often about changes/improvements to the sound!

Colour me in all the colours of Joseph's multicoloured coat i.e. confused
tongue.gif

I'll be receiving a brand new pair of E500 in a few days and I can compare those to my previous pair, which a friend now has. Will post findings if any
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

IMO there's no such thing as burn in for IEM's. When I got my E4's again the first thing that struck me was that they sounded no differant. I just think its your brain getting used to the sound mixed in with your mind just enjoying the music for what it is.

Maybe...but I like to think about burn-in in a broader sense. All electronic part ages, and this process of aging could also contribute to the difference in sound, even in IEM. I am not an electronic engineer, and i am not sure if this is right or not, but there is also no way of letting you know my experience too. At least i can recall very clearly that there is a different in bass response in E3c but not ER6i...Do i bias against Shure? I personally doesn't think so, but there is also no way of letting you know either
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 49
i recently compared my shure e4c (over 2000 hours on them) to a pair of new ones, and could tell no difference between the two.
saying that, i experienced a 'burn in' at the begining of each pair of iems i have owned, which i attribute to finding the 'sweet spot' in the fit, and the psychological effect attributed to getting used to a new sound signature.i would suggest that most peoples armature experiences are the same.

Nov 25, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 49
Ok.. this is what happens

You expect a WHOLE lot from these IEMs, and started assuming what they would sound like
It arrived at your door, has a completely different sound signature, dissapointed because you paid so much for them
You started listening to them again, this time without the expectations because you felt you lost
Everything starts to sound better because you're more open minded

Voila, 'burn in' occurs

Nov 25, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Ok.. this is what happens

You expect a WHOLE lot from these IEMs, and started assuming what they would sound like
It arrived at your door, has a completely different sound signature, dissapointed because you paid so much for them
You started listening to them again, this time without the expectations because you felt you lost
Everything starts to sound better because you're more open minded

Voila, 'burn in' occurs

Haha... very true.

From a lot of reviews I've read of the E500, I thought they'd sound analytical and Etymotic-like. I was sooo wrong! Semi-disappointed at first, I proceeded to "tip-roll" and eventually found the analytical side of the E500. It took a good week or so to figure out which tips sounded the best. The E4c, ER4P/S and ER6i were much easier to use. Just whack on some Comply tips and they sound just as good as advertised. On the contrary, the E500 were more picky and it wasn't until I put on Comply SLIM tips (yes, slim and normal tips sound different) that they began to sing. (YMMV) That said, I'm sure a lot of the 'differences' were due to getting used to the new sound signature.

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 49
Just to make thing clear, i bought my E3c (saw it on the news) before joining Head-fi (late 2003), or even come here at any regular bases (i just remember coming here once or twice before i got E3c when searching other thing). It is my first serious headphone and i was totalyl blow away by it (I still remember showing it off to my suitemate and blow them away
580smile.gif
) That is the time when i decide to skipped E2c and jump from a pretty ok Panasonic 'phone. I really love it and use it all the time while i start noticing their bass is relatively weak. I search around to look for info, than noticed that it is common among E3c. Since it is a very good upgrade from my old 'phone and i am not a bass head, it is still a killer to me and so i still love it as much. The notice of change cames almost a years later (i don't use it all the time cause it is quite difficult to use it outside) when i do another A/B against my old 'phone. Maybe it take a year for me to burn myself in? Anyway the same didn't happen to my ER6i...or there are some magic about Shure?
580smile.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 49
just wondering, could any of this be coming from getting a better fit over time? ears getting used to iems, iems getting used to ears, etc.

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

x2.

The hype around armature-driver IEM burn-in, especially increment in bass, is IMO a process of, as the other few have put, getting used to the new sound. For example, when I turn my bassboost off when listening to my UM2 I would immediately notice the decrease in bass quantity, but after a day or two, I would start to feel the bass has come back to about the same level I used to hear, and when I turn the bassboost on again I always feel overwhelmed by the drastic increase in bass quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back