Dancing with the stars. Why on earth does Jerry Rice is still in the race?
Feb 17, 2006 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Genetic

Headphoneus Supremus
My girlfriend was watching this TV programm yesterday night and ask me if I knew a football player named Jerry Rice. It was a trap....
biggrin.gif

So I sat down with her and I watched last night episode.

2 conclusions:

A) Despite being one of the best athlete in North America what a selfish moron* Jerry is. If he beats the others this will be the most unjust turn of event in TV history. His fan base should be collectively ashamed of themselves for voting for such a poor dancer.

B) A female pro wrestler?..........Stacey Keibler.....I should pay attention to the wrestling world a bit more....
eek.gif

Amicalement

(*Edit: Maybe «moron» is a bit too had on the guy but for what I saw he was all pumped up toward a goal that objectively he could not reach even after years of practice. He is as stiff as a hockey stick....)

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 19
It's not just about real dancing ability. P Miller (a rapper that I had never heard of) managed to stay on for several weeks before being voted off, despite barely putting any effort at all into the competition compared to the others, or the judges scores. The public kept him there. It was painful to watch.

Both similiarly & oppositely, George Hamilton hung on using charm & wit. He barely moves his feet, but was totally entertaining. He could sell ice to Eskimos, and can probably still get into any lady's pants he really wants to. I gotta give him props.

You gotta love Jerry Rice for his stick-tuitiveness, and constant effort. Clearly he's struggling dance-wise, but he's got a lot of heart, and hasn't let up his working on it. I predict he'll outlast Lisa Rinna, who will probably be cast off tonight.

In the end it will be between Stacy & Drew. Stacy is totally hot (she's on the cover of Maxim, or Stuff, or one of those magazines this month), and can really dance. But Drew can too. As the male leader he has a tougher job though, and has been consistently strong since week one. I'd rather look at Stacy, but my conscience would have to vote for Drew in the end. I do have to start watching wresting again though
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
what a selfish moron Jerry is

Selfish? I don't see that. I thought he exhibited excellent sportsmanship throughout. During last night's show while getting low scores and essentially being told by the judges that he couldn't keep up, he stayed positive and determined to bring his best, whatever that turns out to be. I really respect Jerry for that -- and I've never paid any attention to football.

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
Selfish? I don't see that.

I dont want to play nasty just for the fun of it. He's there only because he's loved by so many sports fans.

He just dont deserve to be on the same dance floor as the others. What is it? A popularity or a dance contest.

I can understand that he has the competion in his blood but please give me a break.... he should step aside and not encouraging his fans to vote for him.

Amicalement

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

What is it? A popularity or a dance contest.

Yes.

wink.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

He just dont deserve to be on the same dance floor as the others. What is it? A popularity or a dance contest.

It's neither....it's about who will bring in the most ratings for ABC. Obviously, Jerry Rice will have more name recognition than Lisa or Drew (will Nick be on next season's contest?) and he will stick around until the finals, where Stacy take it all.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 19
I've been a big Stacey fan for several weeks, but it's time for me to face facts: Drew brought it to the freestyle last night, and Stacy didn't.

I blame her choreographer more than her, but still it's a letdown.

And Drew, well, he slayed.

I was out of the room during Jerry's freestyle, so no comments to make there.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 19
I cant believe I watched the show last night. (And I made the promise that I'll be there for the great finally next sunday....)

Yes Stacey was not able to win over Drew. But I'm wondering what will be the effect on the vote from the super brilliant «Brokeback Mountain» reaction of Drew....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Amicalement

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 19
If Stacy Keibler can dance the cha cha to KELLY BLOODY CLARKSON she deserves to win.

My God, the song choices are terrible on that show.

Master P? I can dance better than that schmuck.

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 19
It is about DANCING, so the audience is more Female than Male. ABC wanted to bring in more Males, so they included Jerry. (Jerry has been trying hard, with his older, racked up body.)

I would argue that Dancing is primarily for and about women, with men playing a supporting role. Women's costumes are more flamboyant and are probably more difficult to adjust to, what with their radically different constructions, one to another. The Men's costumes were visually and constructionally more alike from one week to another, and from one number to another on the same competitor.

Since this is rehearsed dancing, not impromptu dancing , there is not really a Lead/Follow difference in difficulty, but the Women must still do more backwards, and in (again) more differing and difficult shoes... (in impromptu dancing, where the woman may never have danced with the man, there is much more difficulty for the woman to follow the lead (strong and easy to follow, or weak and hard to tell what he wants) of the male.)

Women watch both the male and the female, but a good male is liked. A good female is grudgingly liked by women, and if she is beautiful and good at dancing, many women will get competitive towards her. Note that there are Two Male Stars in the semifinal, and only one Female. Since viewers had a vote in this outcome, the heavily female audience has voted it so.

With the caveat that I am Male and not skilled in Dance, I have to say that I believe that Stacy is the best of the Stars, and has been so since Day One of this series, racking up more points overall. She did have a not-so-good last round, and Drew has steadily improved. Stacy does it for me - STACY ALL THE WAY !! Stacy should win, the way I see it. It will probably come down to the level of difficulty and performance that is displayed by each of the two stars in the final round.

It has been interesting to watch, and makes me regret not having Danced more in my younger years, and that I am too fat and too old to dance now. If I were in my twenties right now, I would give much thought to getting good at Dancing, as I think this show has fueled a real resurgence of the Art. I'd be willing to bet that young women are going to insist on better dancers in their partners, and that Dancing will become more popular than in the 1940s and 1950s. Looks like just the ticket for a young man to wow the ladies.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 19
1) Stacey Keebler is ridiculously hot
2) Now that she's off this show, how about a new show called "Strip Dancing with the Stars" with her headlining haha?
3) Jerry Rice was a nice addition to the show, but edged out some much better competition.
4) How about some better judges and scores below an 8. I've seen the show a few times and don't recall ever seeing an individual score below an 8.
5) Maybe a guest appearance by Phil Collins proving he can dance?

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 19
How did Jerry Rice beat Stacy Keibler to the top two? His partner Anna is adorable, but come on!

"Who do you think is going to win?"

"Well, they just kicked off a girl who got thirty points, so I think we've still got a chance."

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 19
I watch the show b/c Stacy, she is so hot and amazing dancer!! I also watched last night episode, and can't believe that Jerry Rice best Stacy and still remain on the show. It will much better for the audience if Stacy and Drew will go head to head. Now I have to stop watching the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back