Dancing Headphones
Feb 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

VTOtaku

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I need some help deciding what headphones are a good buy.  Things I am looking for:

- Budget conscious.  I am a college student and don't really have a lot of money.  I'd prefer headphones around the $50'ish range, but I'd be willing to go up to $100 if the quality is really worth it. 

- Portability isn't that much of an issue.  I plan to take these with me, but I don't mind big headphones if they are better than their equally expensive portable counterparts.  

- I'd like decent bass.  I choreo and dance to a lot of hip hop so I want some punch to the bass, but not so much it overpowers the mids and highs.  

- Comfort would a big plus.  Considering I'd dance with these for 1-2+ hours at a time, I'd like to not have a bruised scalp or sore ears.

Basically, I did research and was a little overwhelmed with all the information and breaking down some of the technical aspects.  I'd like some suggestions for the best all around headphones within my price range that are great for dance music.  

Thanks in advance for any help! 

- VTOtaku

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 4
If I were you, I would look into the following;

Creative Aurvana Live! (aka CAL): ~$60 on Amazon - great reviews in the price range.
Sony MDR XB 400 (XB for xtra bass ;]): ~$50 Amazon - great isolation and comfort
Pioneer STEEZ 808 SE-MJ751: ~$40 Amazon - never auditioned, but good reviews / style.

and finally, my highest recommendation:
Sennheiser HD 419: ~$40 Amazon - great comfort with trusted name.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 4
I was actually already thinking of the Sennheiser 419's so I might end up going with either those or the Audio Technica ATH-M35's.  I'll look into the others you suggested for good measure though.  Thanks for your help!

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

- Comfort would a big plus.  Considering I'd dance with these for 1-2+ hours at a time, I'd like to not have a bruised scalp or sore ears.

Taking this into account, have you considered Iems? if using full size cans when dancing, they can get a lot of sweat. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back