Dance/electronica suggestions?
Jan 22, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #31 of 39
The SF store is bigger and has more stuff than the Berkeley store. But the Berkeley store is also near Rasputin and a couple other big music stores, so it's a good area to browse for a while
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

"One of probably the best recommendations I would suggest are any of the DJ-mix albums on the Global Underground label. The label features some of the best DJ's on the planet. "

Good suggestion, Mac. I have 5 or 6 of these myself. They seem to be a bit more "trancey" than "dancey", so it depends on what you are looking for. They have a website but I couldn't find it for you right away. I will look when I get home today.

Jan 24, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #33 of 39
MacDEF,

Your suggestion was too helpful! I found out that my office is not very far from the Amoeba in the Haight. So, I took a "little" trip down there. An hour later, I left with 15 newly purchased CDs.
eek.gif

This place is really bad for one's financial health.

P.S. is your avatar in the process of being reborn?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 8:13 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by edog
So, I took a "little" trip down there. An hour later, I left with 15 newly purchased CDs.
eek.gif

Sounds about right
wink.gif

Quote:

P.S. is your avatar in the process of being reborn?
smily_headphones1.gif

It was snowing; now it's melting
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #35 of 39
Global Underground:

www.globalunderground.co.uk

Not really global- most of their DJ's are UK DJs, so I guess global would mean they're all jet-setting, internationally renowned DJs.

And not all that trancey, especially the later discs (GU 14 onwards)... more of a progressive, house, funk, disco, electro mix.

Jan 25, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #37 of 39
I recently purchased DJ Icey's "Essential Elements 2001: Breaks Element." Good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
I've mainly heard DJ Icey's stuff in the early 1990's and I think I like a DJ set by him a lot better than his productions. He includes two of his own tracks on the CD, which have a classic DJ Icey sound, but more evolved. Kinda' nice.

Why do all of Paul van Dyk's recent CD's have a strange "dullness" to them? "Tell Me Why" was like that, and my friend recently grabbed "The Politics of Dancing." It seems dull and lifeless...like some sort of crazy filter on the highs. Anyone else notice this?

Jan 25, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #38 of 39
After PvD's oustanding 1997 release, Seven Ways, Out There and Back was a disappointment.

A more commercial album: too much fluffy lyrics to be dance-floor friendly.

I hope his DJ-mixed Politics Of Dancing is better.

Jan 25, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Why do all of Paul van Dyk's recent CD's have a strange "dullness" to them? "Tell Me Why" was like that, and my friend recently grabbed "The Politics of Dancing." It seems dull and lifeless...like some sort of crazy filter on the highs. Anyone else notice this?

Yea, I've noticed that, too. I guess it has something to do with the way he records his mixes. Politics of Dancing is not bad in any way, but its distortion (I guess that's a good way of calling it) irritates me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back