Dance/electronica suggestions?
Jan 16, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #17 of 39
Xevion - that tabla beat science album is one of the few electronica albums I can enjoy - because of that "indian" sound.....the tabla is a very cool instrument. Very unusual resonation.

Jan 17, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #18 of 39
I am deep into the electronic music scene.

One of probably the best recommendations I would suggest are any of the DJ-mix albums on the Global Underground label. The label features some of the best DJ's on the planet. I would HIGHLY recommend any of the sets on that label. Two of my absolute favorite CD's on that label are GU014 Sasha - Ibiza and Anthony Pappa's set from their NuBreed spin-off series. Absolutely fantastic. Any of John Digweed's sets will do.

My personal favorite artist is BT. 'Movement in Still Life' is absolutely fantastic. Hybrid's 'Wide Angle' is among the same level. Also, check out Orbital's 'Middle of Nowehere.' That album gets better every time I listen to it. Many people consider their album 'In Sides' to be the best work they have ever done.

I saw them in Minneapolis last October. They put on a fantastic show! You can tell that they really enjoy what they do. I haven't seen two performers get so into what they do, and it was really cool to see that. But, I digress...

There is so much incredible electronic music out there. And there is also so much cheeze. Just be sure to stay clear of the bad stuff, and if you like it, persue into it deeper. You will discover a whole new world of music that many people don't even know about, or that people think is full of blips and beeps and stuff like "Rhythm is a Dancer" and the like. The electronic music world seems almost limitless in the sonic landscapes it can produce. And producers are really doing a lot of really amazing things with music. Like Hybrid, for instance. They combine nu-skool breakbeat, house and trance elements, and mix it all together with the Russian Federal Orchestra. BT composed a track titled 'Dreaming' which, as stated in an interview with him on Digidesign.com, "may be the first song entirely recorded and performed with software synthesizers." His staple 'instrument' is the Pro Tools system itself...he mangles sound waves into music. Brilliant music.

Also, check out Underworld's 'Live: Everything, Everything.' It is a good introduction to their show featuring live performances from a recent tour. It's been released on DVD as well, and it's quite neat
wink.gif

Anyway, the list goes on and on...I won't stop rambling if given the chance, but I'm sure the post has a word-limit
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Xevion - that tabla beat science album is one of the few electronica albums I can enjoy - because of that "indian" sound.....the tabla is a very cool instrument. Very unusual resonation.

And I thank you for introducing me to them.
biggrin.gif

If the original poster is still around, and is looking for some more conventional trance, I would reccomend:

Hallucinogen
Astral Projection
Green nuns of the revolution

Jan 18, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #20 of 39
Wow, there are so many suggestions here. I'll have to wait until the next credit card period to get more.
smily_headphones1.gif

So far, I've gotten Nitin Sawhney's Prophesy and PvD's Politics of Dancing, and I like them quite a bit. I still like BT's BT_ESCM the most, but I'm very glad to have been exposed to a whole new world of music.

So much music, so little time and money...

Jan 18, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #21 of 39
if you like BT's Electric Sky Church Music, I think you'll adore:

Chicane's Far From The Maddening Crowds.

BT's followup album Movement in Still LIfe is brilliant, but quite different to ESCM.

Jan 18, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #22 of 39
"One of probably the best recommendations I would suggest are any of the DJ-mix albums on the Global Underground label. The label features some of the best DJ's on the planet. "

I have a couple of these as well. They are double CD's too. More bang for the buck.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #25 of 39
Yah, Crystal Method is phat ****. I saw them live last summer with Uberzone. Check out TCM's new one, "Tweekend" for a really good and evolved sound. Uberzone does mainly nu-skool breaks, robot-funk, and some real interesting sounds. Good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
They did the track 'Botz' on Sasha & Digweed's "Northern Exposure: Eastcoast Edition." A fabulous mix by two of the best trance/progressive DJ's out there, as well as "Northern Exposure: Expeditions." That's all for now ;p

Jan 21, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #26 of 39
edog, remember you live in the WORLD CAPITAL of dance / electronica /trance. Go to any of the music stores in the Castro and you will find walls of that stuff. And don't be afraid to ask the sales staff for suggestions. If Tower seems a little snooty, check out the smaller stores on 18th Street. They know their stuff.

I'll be there next month myself and plan to do some time in the music stores and come back with lots of loot.

Steven in Dallas

Jan 21, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #27 of 39
yeah i saw crystal method live last night!!! they played the first song of tweekend first.. it was soooooo phat but way way too long. then they played a couple of more songs, they only had 1 hour for their set in the festival. i reckon the skinnier guy is a tryhard. he was getting so worked up over his keyboard haha. he even kicked his keyboard off and broke it haha. but i was up the front of the crowd so i was squashed up and didnt really appeciate the music (couldnt dance and was more interested in the crowd controllers passing water haha) that much. they didnt really do anything exciting i think. for their last song, they upped the bpms for busy child.

Jan 21, 2002 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by HeadWired
edog, remember you live in the WORLD CAPITAL of dance / electronica /trance. Go to any of the music stores in the Castro and you will find walls of that stuff. And don't be afraid to ask the sales staff for suggestions. If Tower seems a little snooty, check out the smaller stores on 18th Street. They know their stuff.

I'll be there next month myself and plan to do some time in the music stores and come back with lots of loot.

There are some good small stores in the Castro, but be sure to go to Amoeba on Haight -- HUGE independent record store, including a very big electronica section.

Jan 22, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
There are some good small stores in the Castro, but be sure to go to Amoeba on Haight -- HUGE independent record store, including a very big electronica section.

What about the Amoeba on Telegraph in Berkeley? How does that compare to the one on Haight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back