Dance/electronica suggestions?
Jan 7, 2002 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

edog

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently gotten into dance / electronica music (I'm new to this stuff, so please forgive incorrect use of terminology), and so far, I like the following CDs:

* BT_ESCM (by BT)
* The Mirror Conspiracy (by Thievery Corporation)
* Tourist (by St. Germain)
* Out There and Back (by Paul van Dyk)

For the most part, I guess that I tend to like New Age-ish / World Music-ish kind of electronic music. So, what CDs would you guys recommend that I listen to next?

Jan 7, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 39
sticking with the 4ad label of thievery corp, try GusGus and Sybarite. and 'a blast from the past' with Colourbox.
Quote:

Formed in 1982 by brothers Martyn and Steven Young, Colourbox and later M/A/R/R/S, went on to play a fundamental part in rewriting the music rule book.

Colourbox - Best Of 82 / 89 is a fine testament to their talent and achievement. Featuring tracks previously unavailable on CD, including the USA 12” mix of ‘Pump Up The Volume’, the album has been compiled and remastered by Martyn and Steven Young. This CD is also enhanced with the promo video for ‘Pump Up The Volume’.

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 39
Plaid - Rest Proof Clockwork

Relaxing, somewhat jazzy, sometimes just weird and slightly reminiscent of Aphex Twin. Quite a nice listen.

Tabla Beat Science - Tala Matrix - Do you like tablas? This is electonic music with a heavy emphasis on tabla playing, it has an indian sound so if it sounds like that it might turn you off, then don't get it.

Jan 7, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 39
Go here now:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/153/sean_washburn.html

(Sean Washburn's Wave Mantra)

and listen riiiiiiiiight now with your best cans and amp. "To Thee Homage" is the track that should rightly deliver your mind directly into the realm of exquisite meditative bliss.

'Tis awesome... and free, for that matter.

Jan 7, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 39
I really like Paul van Dyk's new one The Politics of Dancing. Two CDs of some great remixes, with a few of his own songs in there. I also just got Tarrentella-Redanka's new collection Playback Engineering, and excellent one. I guess wondering Border's music features things is good sometimes, as I found both of these there in their 'Emerging Artists' section.

Jan 7, 2002 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 39
Razlak, I, too, got Tarrentella and Redanka's Playback Engineering, and PVD's Politics is coming soon in the mail.

I really like Playback Engineering so far...

Oh yea, Movement in Still Life is good, too. Running Down the Way Up has got to be the best track on it.

Jan 7, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 39
Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?

Anything by Synaesthesia (Delerium side-project, which is a side-project of FLA, so I guess they're all side-projects of each other) -- the double-CD one is the best-value-for-the-money.

Jan 7, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by edog
I've recently gotten into dance / electronica music (I'm new to this stuff, so please forgive incorrect use of terminology), and so far, I like the following CDs:

* BT_ESCM (by BT)
* The Mirror Conspiracy (by Thievery Corporation)
* Tourist (by St. Germain)
* Out There and Back (by Paul van Dyk)

For the most part, I guess that I tend to like New Age-ish / World Music-ish kind of electronic music. So, what CDs would you guys recommend that I listen to next?

New / World Music with a bit of dance thrown in? You have jsut described Nitin Sawhney right through. He's a British Asian and well respected in music circles. Try his fantastic Beyond Skin or his recent Prophesy albums.

Other things to try: Talvin Singh (lots of Asian influence too) Lamb, Portishead, Air, Zero 7. They are all more St. Germain than PvD. Not really into harder club stuff soz.

Jan 7, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 39
Now I'm off to the CD store...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Jan 8, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 39
For a trancey / new-age type sound, try to find any album by Chicane. I like listening to it when I need to relax. In fact, I think I'll listen to it right now on my Monsoon speakers.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #15 of 39
Those are a few albums I've had for a while, that have proven not to become boring over the time:

Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible: Their second album, not as new age-ish as "Are You Shpongled?" but more world music-ish one could say (many influences).
smily_headphones1.gif

Juno Reactor - Shango: This is some of my favorite electronica for sure. Never heard that much variety on a single disk.

Masala - Lucid Dreams Drop 7.3: Maybe the most 'chilled' album of the three. It has a very oriental touch, which might disturb some people (not me). Might be very hard to find, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back