Easy... I just saw the price.
frown.gif
It's a no-go zone that.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #17 of 30
Nov 11, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 30
I think it's a knock-off.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #20 of 30
Hello & welcome SinnerG.
To hasten your slide into the Head-fi black hole I can give you a C&C XO portable amp that I no longer use. It won't help much with your PC setup but it does work well with Ipods and the like. The amp works fine but the wallwart charger needs some attention. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #23 of 30
Nov 12, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #24 of 30
Welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

It isnt expensive if you dont have the funds, or have huge self control. I've done pretty well, but at 15 I cant justify spending much and cant spend much! I have had a few freebies and gifts though.

Great generosity. Afrikane is a great guy, one of the most respected on head-fi. Slightly envious though, Its the newer hip-flask like one as well! Lucky
tongue.gif

Matt

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 30
Head-Fi is hard on everyone's wallet.

This industry is recession proof.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #26 of 30
Welcome
beerchug.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 30
Thanks all!
biggrin.gif

Afrikane, you have PM.
smily_headphones1.gif

I lugged these cans to the office today. Very sweet stuff indeed. However, I think they need to remain at home. I might need something that a) similar to this, b) cuts down the questions on why I look like an alien, and c) easier to port and less fearful of damaging.

I've seen the ATH-A55 up on ebay for around $75. These are much older models (6+ years maybe?!?!), but they are apparently smaller than the enormous ATH-A900, yet have the same size driver (53mm), but, from what I've read, is in a plastic earcup. They seem more like something I'd feel comfortable dragging around with me.

Question is: in comparison to the A900, how much smaller in dimension are they? Anyone have comparative size info?

Saw some reviews saying they're the smaller brother to the A500/A900 so easier to port around with one. And, honestly, probably make me look like less of a freak at my desk.
biggrin.gif

And there I said I wasn't gonna consider spending cash until next year sometime.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SinnerG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might next year, but I must focus on some other items that need sorting first. But I definitely would like a dedicated amp in the next year. I'll have to squeeze it into the household budget... she-who-must-be-obeyed will never know.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thats the spirit!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Its hard to resist upgradeitis when you stay around here..

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #29 of 30
biggrin.gif
I think first step is downgradeitis to get a smaller cheaper headphone from the AT stables. I've no immediate intention of breaking the bank right now.. or breaking the bank more than it is right now.

Being able to listen to sound again in the office was good today. Really focusing compared to the up and down runabout and being distracted by everyone's conversations.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #30 of 30
Back again.

Been enjoying the A900s, but have an issue or 2. Posted up in full size headphone forum. One of them hopefully not related to my colleague temporarily abusing my headphones and the amp and his ears. :p

Yes, Afrikane was extremely generous.
smile.gif
I've had the A900s in the C&C XO constantly. I am still in shock from having received such an item from just having signed up to these forums for a couple of hours.
biggrin.gif
He has even let me try out his pair of ATH-ESW9 clip-on earphones.
smile.gif
Used them all day today as I was just getting too many stares with the A900s on.
atsmile.gif

I definitely see what everyone is on about here.
smile.gif
The improvement is incredible compared to just running off my Xonar U1. No need for EQ at all. Can only imagine what more technical amps can do.

As for the downgradeitis.. still curious about the A55 as a pair of cheap kick-abouts instead of transporting the A900s around. Worth it?

My wife doesn't care much for me using these things though 'cos I just don't respond. But she's caught on and I'm going to just find a low cost pair of IEMs for her occassionally-used shuffle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back