Damn the HISS, SBLive!
Jan 18, 2003 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MagusG

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, I know the ultimate solution is get another sound card, I can't do that right now, though I will soon. Is there anything I can do to this sblive to get rid of the hiss. I am already using the audigy drivers. Is there anything else I can do?
-Mag

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 15
Are all your inputs muted in the mixer?

Jan 18, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 15
Yup
-Mag

Jan 18, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 15
Are you sure that the rear speakers don't flip the stereo signal? On my TBSC, the rears are opposite the fronts so that the correct sounds are on the correct sides in a 4 speaker configuration. If they are flipped as I suspect, then you will need to find some software to unflip them (if there is any).

Nevertheless, the hiss will still be there. Creative's SBLive line is ass, and the hiss is a significant part of that assness.
mad.gif

Jan 18, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 15
well it may be ass, but he said he can't get another sound card as this moment.

It is not reversed on the sblive! I just tested this with Cool Edit playing a song with left channel only and then right channel only. Shows up correctly.

There is still hiss on the rear channel but it is significantly lower than the front channel.

Here is the reason:
http://kxproject.spb.ru/rear.php?language=en

You can also try out the kxproject drivers for the sblive! They work well, but EAX compatibility is not guaranteed. They swap the outputs by default.

Jan 18, 2003 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 15
I think I'm gonna order a revo with my next paycheck, screw waiting till next month, this hiss is driving me nuts. Are there any reviews of the Revo up yet?
-Mag

Jan 18, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 15
Ok, aparently the black mini jack is the rear, cuz I just switched to that output, significantly less hiss. Thanks for the help, I just can't wait to get a revo. I already love my Eggo's and super mini.
-Mag

Jan 18, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks to other posts in this section, I visited kxproject website and downloaded their drivers for the SB cards. I'm not sophisticated enough to know exactly how the software can improve the sound quality of the card, but it obviously does. I've only listened in two-channel to redbook CD's but I've noticed less background hiss & noise, no crackling, tighter bass, and more inner detail in the recordings I've listened to. I can't compare the improvement to any other sound card but, for a free download, I would have been foolish to pass up this tweak!

Jan 18, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 15
This simple procedure I read somewhere makes alot of sense and worked amazingly well on my Audigy! There used to be a loud hiss, then after I upgraded to Audigy 2 drivers it was significantly reduced, now that I've applied this little trick it's 100% gone, even with low impedance cans and volumes turned to max!

1) Open volume control (officially titled "Play Control" - this is the little speaker that appears in your task bar (bottom right under the clock) on most people's computers. Double click to open it.

1b) If the little speaker does not appear in your taskbar, go to the "Sound and Multimedia" control panel and on the first screen click the "Show Volume Control on the taskbar" box at the bottom of the screen. Now you should see the little speaker in your task bar, open it (double click).

2) While in "Play Control", first go under the options menu and select the first choice "Properties". Make Sure the radio button "Playback" is selected (not Recording). Now in the box labelled "Show the following volume controls:" check every single box enabling every possible playback output (remember to scroll down and check ALL of them!).

3) Now go click okay, your Play control window should be very large now! Now mute all of them (check the mute box) except "Play Control Balance" (first one) and "Wave/MP3 Balance" and (if you need it) "CD Digital" (always mute CD-Audio! this control is for analog CD volume and is very noisy! The dacs inside most cd-roms are even worse than creative ones to my ears (yes - even with the resampling), so pass the digital info through your IDE cable). For me this was pretty dramatic. I had the volume jacked up through my headphones so I could clearly hear the hiss, and as I muted all the outputs the hiss kept getting quieter and quieter until it was completely gone!

4) You can go back under options->properties and disable all the controls you don't need, they will stay muted.

Remember to mute everything but

Why creative cards don't default to this is beyond me. The difference is very noticable not just turning up the volume, but during music as well (noise floor much less noticable, only noise comes from the recording!).

I know this has already been suggested in this thread, but most people who have "muted everything" really haven't muted everything and the difference is night and day.

EDIT: if you use creative's annoying mixer, I don't know how to make this procedure work. Creative's software department has always been it's weak point (obvious when new drivers can improve the sound as much as the hacked Audigy 2 drivers can!) therefore I only install the drivers for any Creative card, none of the crappy programs creative provides that I personally have no use for and that suck up system resources like a vacuum.

-dd3mon

Apr 14, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
Ok, I know the ultimate solution is get another sound card, I can't do that right now, though I will soon. Is there anything I can do to this sblive to get rid of the hiss. I am already using the audigy drivers. Is there anything else I can do?
-Mag

how do you install audigy drivers on a live? I tried it and it said audigy not found.

Apr 15, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by absolutofft
how do you install audigy drivers on a live? I tried it and it said audigy not found.

You need to apply a software crack to the setup.exe. Let me see if I can dig up that link.

Apr 15, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
You need to apply a software crack to the setup.exe. Let me see if I can dig up that link.

Ah, here it is. Apply it to install software and driver updates too.

Apr 15, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 15
In the sblive control panel choose '2-speaker' rather than 'headphone', even if you are using 'phones. Switching to 2 speaker mode dropped the hiss nearly to zero when I used cans with my sblive.

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Are you sure that the rear speakers don't flip the stereo signal? On my TBSC, the rears are opposite the fronts so that the correct sounds are on the correct sides in a 4 speaker configuration. If they are flipped as I suspect, then you will need to find some software to unflip them (if there is any).

Couldn't you just wear the 'phones backwards, or am i missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back