Damaged Pre-Out - Possible to Fix?
Dec 10, 2022 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

NorthernBrewer

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I purchased an amplifier with a damaged Pre-Out, see pitcures below. To me it looks like only the metal cap is missing. So is it possible to remove a metal cap of another RCA and mount it by pressure to the amplifier? Or do I need a new RCA that must be soldered to the amplifier?

Dec 10, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi,

I purchased an amplifier with a damaged Pre-Out, see pitcures below. To me it looks like only the metal cap is missing. So is it possible to remove a metal cap of another RCA and mount it by pressure to the amplifier? Or do I need a new RCA that must be soldered to the amplifier?

Try to just put it back and see how it sounds. Normally, the outer part should be the ground, but I'm not sure if it just makes contact with another metal part inside or if it was soldered or something. You could open the amp and check out the other RCA jacks to see how/if the outer metal part makes contact with something else, or you could try just putting the outer metal back on the jack, and see if it sounds good (with no humming, etc.).

I'd go with opening the amp first, I'd want the outer metal to correctly serve its grounding role.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back