Damaged membran
Aug 23, 2007 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

When I opened up my DT-770 for about 15min ago I accidentally made a hole in the thin paper surrounding the membrane. I screamed out in pain for almost a minute - followed up by over a hundred curses.

I then quickly put the thing together again and listened to it, to find out that the bass in the right ear sounds like ass due to a really annoying vibrating sound.

What I wonder is if the noise could have occurred because of the hole in the paper surrounding the membrane, or if it could be something else?
Can it be fixed or am I in need of a whole new membrane from Beyerdynamics?

Thank you in advance...
/Chopha

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 12
It could be the hole in the baffle paper.

You should be able to repair it - can you post a picture of the damage?

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Here's a pic.
The upper hole is the new one. The little black spot at the bottom has been there since they where new.

/Chopha

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 12
iirc, the oldschool way of repairing paper speaker cones was fingernail polish.

To do that here you'd have to use a needle or something to bend out the little flap of paper (really more of a nonwoven fabric) and then paint it over the tear.

It won't be as acoustically effective as it once was, but it'll be a fair sight better than just a hole.

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Thank you guys for the help!

I'll try the nail polish trick tomorrow - hope I get rid of the buzz buzz sound...

Just wondering:
Are there spare membranes available for private people to buy for Beyer-phones? I've looked around at their website but haven't found anything.

/Chopha

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you guys for the help!

I'll try the nail polish trick tomorrow - hope I get rid of the buzz buzz sound...

Just wondering:
Are there spare membranes available for private people to buy for Beyer-phones? I've looked around at their website but haven't found anything.

/Chopha

The beyer UK site has the service documents online, maybe there's a part number for just the baffle disc.

I'd offer to give you the disc from my blown dt770 driver but it also has a hole in it - though it's a small hole and only goes through the front paper. very fixable.

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 12
I'll try the nail polish trick tomorrow, and If the result isn't satisfying enough I'll gladly take the disc you offered.

/Chopha

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 12
The hole in the white stuff isn't what's causing the buzzing sound during bassy notes. If you pull it out of the enclosure, you should be able to blow gently into the rear of the driver and, with any luck, dislodge the hair or grit that is probably causing the buzzing.

I'd recommend not using them until you do it, since hair tends to somehow fuse into the DT-XXX diaphragm, making it almost impossible to remove without taking apart the driver.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 12
That's the best plan - get the paper disk from ericj and cut a patch to cover just the perforated segment. Then glue it over that segment. There is NO replacement available - the only other choice would be a new Driver which is aprox $70

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 12
I borrowed some transparent nail polish from my sister and glued a small cut out from a paper handkerchief over the hole. The buzz is no-more and I haven't heard any sonically change since the repair...perfect!

Thank you for the help - especially ericj for the offer to give his baffle disc for free!

/Chopha

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Ah, excellent.

Especially because it turned out i hadn't stored the DT770 baffle as well as i thought i had, and it's in pretty sad shape now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back