Damaged HD580s, Advice Needed
Oct 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

steelle

Head-Fier
Sup headfi,

So the left can rattles quite loudly and is distorted when low frequency sounds play (bass and the like), but I've already had them repaired about 8 months ago (there's a 90 day warranty on repairs).  They recently upped the cost of HD600 repairs $70 to $150, which is more than I paid for them brand new.  I'm unsure what to do with them now as they are starting to become unlistenable, and I'd rather buy a new pair of cans for $150 then repair these and deal with the same problem again in the future.  Any suggestions or advice?

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Mal, unfortunately it wasnt the cable and there weren't any visible hairs on the driver, although it looks like there is some smaller lint-like particles around the very edge (almost in the crease of the driver and the black rim/casing), but i dont think i could get those out even if i wanted to, and im pretty sure they arent whats causing the distortion. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 7
wow, they upped the flat rate price of hd600/650 repairs from $65 to $150/145
angry_face.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
wow, they upped the flat rate price of hd600/650 repairs from $65 to $150/145
angry_face.gif

yeah 
frown.gif

Quote:
Can't you buy the driver elements as spares from Sennheiser, instead of sending them in for repairs? I vaguely remember them only costing like $60-$70/ea.
redface.gif

Alternately, look for another pair of 580s. I don't think you'll find something competitive/equivalent for $150 BNIB.

Ill have to check it out. I agree, but the only problem with finding another pair of 580s is that they run for about 130-150 ish, so i might as well just send mine in for repairs right? or i suppose i could try to sell mine for like $50 (im sure someone out there doesnt mind a damaged pair) and buy another used pair.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 7
anything else? psure i'm going to go with obob's suggestion and grab a oem driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back