Dallas / Ft. Worth Meet #6 Impressions
Jan 29, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who listened to the SR200 / Zana Deux / Linn Mimik combo ?

I listened at length, and preferred the old RS-1 to these, as the SR-200 sounded a bit bright and harsh and sounded a bit more distant (less forward). Again, not my type of music (NIN is what I listened to), but gave me a sense of what the Grado's do well. I think the Zana Deux is above my MPX3 SE by a decent margin, the main difference being the speed that this amp seems to have in spades. My MPX3 SE is pretty much optimized for the HD-650 and sounds pretty mediocre on other cans, as I'm using a bright edgy tube as driver (Amperex 7062). Perhaps next meet I'll have more time with the Zana Deux, and better comparisons to the Single Power once I get some teflon v-caps installed. This should even up the playing field a bit more, as IMHO these bring the MPX3 SE very close to the Supra which probably edges past the Zana Deux in the limited comparisons I've done between both. I think purk might have commented on this comparison as well somewhere.

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like you all had a blast. I am completely speechless though... Steve... a Sennheiser guy!?!? What is this world coming to?
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still reeling myself. And I thought I knew Steve. Alas.

I knew this would happen, I even commented that I'd catch h*ll for it. However if you haven't heard the 580/600/650 balanced through a really high end amp, and with a compatible source, you haven't really heard what they are capable of. I never liked them much, and still don't like them single ended through average gear. But with Alex's mods they sounded fantastic on my new system. They were actually a bit forward with none of that layed back Senn. signature that I had encountered before. I really now believe that these may be one of the best scaling headphones out there. Will they replace my Donuts, K340 or Sextett? Nope, no danger there, but they do fill a nice niche in my small collection, and I feel like they will see a lot of use once I get some balanced cables.

Jan 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #48 of 66
What a great Saturday. First off, thanks to wquiles and [AK]Zip for some great photos. Al, thank you for entrusting me with the beautiful Signatures! Alex, thank you for the much needed headphone stands. Steve, hope you enjoy the Sennheisers. Talmadge, Shawn, Keith, Will, Stan, Marc, and Mark, it was a pleasure to finally meet some of you and to see familiar faces again. Mark (plaidplaytpus), you were well missed, but we thank you for entrusting your gear to swt61 once again.
smily_headphones1.gif
2deadeyes, thank you for loaning the L3000’s, they were certainly something else.

My biggest surprise of the day had to be the recabled Koss ESp-950's. I would gladly suffer them if Luvdunhill ever gives them up.
biggrin.gif
I left Saturday evening with a respect for vinyl, a reaffirmed dissatisfaction with Grado's, and finally a grasp on the beauty that is Diana Krall.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a great Saturday. First off, thanks to wquiles and [AK]Zip for some great photos. Al, thank you for entrusting me with the beautiful Signatures! Alex, thank you for the much needed headphone stands. Steve, hope you enjoy the Sennheisers. Talmadge, Shawn, Keith, Will, Stan, Marc, and Mark, it was a pleasure to finally meet some of you and to see familiar faces again. Mark (plaidplaytpus), you were well missed, but we thank you for entrusting your gear to swt61 once again.
smily_headphones1.gif
2deadeyes, thank you for loaning the L3000’s, they were certainly something else.

My biggest surprise of the day had to be the recabled Koss ESp-950's. I would gladly suffer them if Luvdunhill ever gives them up.
biggrin.gif
I left Saturday evening with a respect for vinyl, a reaffirmed dissatisfaction with Grado's, and finally a grasp on the beauty that is Diana Krall.

This guy could not stop listening to those electrostatic headphones
evil_smiley.gif

Next meet, prolly have o1's and a koss esp
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #50 of 66
Lots of equipment you had there! I'm sure it was a fun time.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew this would happen, I even commented that I'd catch h*ll for it. However if you haven't heard the 580/600/650 balanced through a really high end amp, and with a compatible source, you haven't really heard what they are capable of.

Many times my friend... that is the only way that they don't make me wretch.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Will they replace my Donuts, K340 or Sextett? Nope, no danger there, but they do fill a nice niche in my small collection, and I feel like they will see a lot of use once I get some balanced cables.

Ok, you saved yourself there.
cool.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

I think the Zana Deux is above my MPX3 SE by a decent margin, the main difference being the speed that this amp seems to have in spades. My MPX3 SE is pretty much optimized for the HD-650 and sounds pretty mediocre on other cans, as I'm using a bright edgy tube as driver (Amperex 7062). Perhaps next meet I'll have more time with the Zana Deux, and better comparisons to the Single Power once I get some teflon v-caps installed. This should even up the playing field a bit more, as IMHO these bring the MPX3 SE very close to the Supra which probably edges past the Zana Deux in the limited comparisons I've done between both. I think purk might have commented on this comparison as well somewhere.

Yes, I think very highly of Zana Deux and believe that the Zana is probably one of the best if not the best amp under 2k.

Last week, my stock Supra SE had just came back from Single Power after the high voltage upgrade, and I believe that the performance of the Stock Supra SE is definitely a bit better than the Zana. The sonic performance of the stock supra (6SN7) and Zana should be pretty even though, IMO.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I think very highly of Zana Deux and believe that the Zana is probably one of the best if not the best amp under 2k.

Last week, my stock Supra SE had just came back from Single Power after the high voltage upgrade, and I believe that the performance of the Stock Supra SE is definitely a bit better than the Zana. The sonic performance of the stock supra (6SN7) and Zana should be pretty even though, IMO.

purk:

thanks for your comments. I wished I knew that the insides of the Supra looked like, so I could compare it to the MPX3 SE a bit more. With this topology there is really not too many ways to skin a cat, so they must share a number of things in common. The high voltage upgrade usually requires a switch an an extra resistor, or in the case without a switch a single resistor change. These are monster Ohmite resistors. I have noted the most change when upgrading the heater caps to Black Gates, something that I think is Mikhail's most costly Black Gate upgrade, and well worth it. I shudder to think what these amps would sound like without the coupling capacitors myself
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm awaiting funds replenishment and probably after my Blue Hawaii project is finished and then we'll see what I can do with the coupling capacitors and I will probably add a monster external heater supply as well, due to the creation of such a beast for the Blue Hawaii. I like interchangeable parts
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call them back and ask when they will have them back in stock. They are always either dead on or early.

-Alex-

Will do, thanks

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

They said about 3 weeks the other day when I ordered mine. I went ahead and ordered them now to get in line for them.

I did the same.

They shipped my cable/adapter in about 2 days, not bad at all. This will hold me over till I can save for some higher end cables *coughAPScough*

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

Mine now have a Black headband and Black stock grills while awaiting the new HD600 grills.
biggrin.gif
Of coarse new pads will work wonders too.

Looks awesome, love the all black finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back