Dali Headphones
Aug 22, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #961 of 1,056
For now I am happy with the iO4s - well lets see if Dali sometimes will release a Mk 2 version where they ruled out the existing quirks (f.e. a little bit wider headband would be nice, also little bit spacier or oval cups). If they do, I hope the sound signature will remain exactly as it is.
Wishing here too they release a new version, something more comfortable and light (would be happy with a similar tuning and even no wireless function). Not the most detailed, technical and whatnot, but what a lovely tuning these have.

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #965 of 1,056
Can anyone please confirm if the Dali IO4 only work in wired mode if they are powered on.

Do they work passively if they are completely switched off or out of battery?
Wired Mode with an analogue Cable from an headphone amp / outlet is working completly passive (switched off). USB / Digital Wired Mode = using the internal DAC and amplifier - of course requires the Headphone to be switched on. The Battery will be charged at the same time from the USB connection. You also can check the manual on Dalis Website. io 4 and 6 behave the same in this regard. Sound Signature will change of course if you use analogue mode with an external amplifier/headphone outlet after the Headphones are driven by totally different electronics. While Dali states sound is better when using the internal DAC/Amp, many state sound quality is better with a decent external headphone amp. Anyways the io4 / 6 is suituable to be used with an external amplifier, not like the Sony WH-1000XM3/4 where sound quality is (even) worse with an external analogue signal after the Sonys rely on heavy DSP processing to correct the many flaws of their drivers. The Dalis have a proper driver design which achieves its sound quality as is without the need of electronic trickery.

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #966 of 1,056
Guys, I should admit that fact that being wired to an external player my IO-4 sounds pretty powerful in low frequencies. I'd just tried to connect the old (but really nice) Iriver e10 media player by cable, and was surprised, how strong and massive the bass party was. E10 gives mighty sound, for me volume level 12 of max 30 is enough. Now I can clearly recognize the bass line on the hard rock albums, which was a bit obscure and weak when IO4 connected via Bluetooth.

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #967 of 1,056
There is probably DSP going on when the wireless is being used and when defeated and going wired you're hearing the non-corrected signature. That is my speculation here. Good to know that whatever model you own sounds good passive. I always test my Bluetooth headphones passive just to get an idea what the non-corrected signature is like.

Nov 5, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #968 of 1,056
Hi!

Are here audio pro heroes? :)

The thing is, I'm among those lucky Dali users which have got headphones with broken power switch. So I didn't use the phone during a year or so. But these days I"m going to play with sequencers, DAW, samplers and so on - you know it, yea? And I want to use Dali IO-4 with wired connection for monitoring/mixing. Phones sounding is rather neutral and with relatively wide range (taking - not too much - sub bass).

What do you think, is it a good idea? Or must I go for AKG K371? :)

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #972 of 1,056
We had here in the thread someone who bought XL mod and wasn't happy with the result. Sound significantly degraded..
Specially with closed back headphones the sealing of the headphones and also volume of the "chamber" formed by the earpads between the driver and your ears have a BIG influence in sound. So any earpad mods (form, volume, material,...) will change the sound signature dramatically.

Dec 15, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #975 of 1,056
Specially with closed back headphones the sealing of the headphones and also volume of the "chamber" formed by the earpads between the driver and your ears have a BIG influence in sound. So any earpad mods (form, volume, material,...) will change the sound signature dramatically.
True, but I am having issues with the original earpads. I can wear my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro for hours. I could also wear my Surface Headphones for hours... putting those on feels like sinking into a super nice, comfortable pillow. The Dali make my ears hurt after maybe 30-45 minutes, as they don't leave enough space.

And worse yet: I'm wearing glasses. When I got the Dali IO-4, I wondered what was wrong. How could reviewers be this wrong? How could Dali release a product like this? Then I cleaned my glasses while listening to music, and suddenly the headphones worked. They sounded great, spectacular even. With glasses though... I guess other headphones have issues with the seal as well (Harman Kardon Fly ANC come to mind... wonderful value for money, terrible bugs, comfort meh?), but most just give out so much bass that you wouldn't notice the difference. It's always too much.

The Dali are just right, which means when I lose seal, it's bad. If you could make up for it with an equalizer... but you can't with Dali.

I've only tried the Dali wired with a decent mainboard so far (will try an Audiolab 6000A and perhaps a LG V20 if I get it back in time), but to me wired it sounded more bassy, with recessed highs. I actually like the highs when the headphones are on. This slightly more muffled sound is close to what you'd get with the Harman Kardon Fly ANC (and that headphone has the most awesome equalizer in existence... parametric with near unlimited amount of adjustment points. You can get them to sound any way you like).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back