Dali Headphones
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #826 of 1,056
Couple months ago I took my io-6 to the shop I bought them at, willing to check for a fix of both the hissing and the on/off inconsistency issues, as they're within the warranty. I just received a new pair, unopen so far, but I had to wait almost 3 months for it. I'm in the way to hopping in the above 1k€ tag, either for headphones or iems, so I intend to sell my pair to fund the leap.
I'm posting here first in case somebody is interested, but firstly wondering if it would be considered "flipping", as after sending them the faulty pair I just got a new one in freshly sealed box, which I intend to sell at a decent discount, specially for being new. Needless to say I paid full price for it here in europe!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #827 of 1,056
We are aware that some models may have an issue with the ON/OFF button. If you have received one of these pairs, you can contact your local DALI dealer and make use of your warranty to swap them for a replacement.
@Brintkiks Thanks for that update, that's good news!

I have one more question related to hopefully warranty.

The headband of my iO-6 got broken. On the right side, at the point where soft padding "meets" the plastic part when I stretched the headphones to put them on my head (as usual), I heard some kind of crack sound and then felt that the clamping force got weaker. And it's even visible (see the photo) - between the soft part and the plastic one - the white plastic kind of axis is broken. Again, it was a result of the usual process of putting the headphone on the head, not a testing of the stretching ability. And in it was at home with a normal tempreture, so no cold environment.

So the question - is that a warranty covered issue?

I also have the on/off button issue, so am going to take my iO-6 to the dealer for the replacement either way, but I want to know for sure how this headband issue might impact.

2020-11-01 15.14.23.jpg

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #828 of 1,056
Hi this is my first post here!

after having to get rid of the floorstanders 3 years ago I slowly got into headphones. And own three pairs now; a qc35-2, the PX7 and recently the Io6 by Dali.

I just want to say that the Io6 for me is the first time in three years that I hear something that somewhat represents how my speakers naturally sounded.

the bass goes into the sub low, it doesn’t have that bloated (fun) bass the PX7 has. The highs are smooth (not distorted like the qc35. The detail retrieval is gigantic compared to the Bose and b&w.
The Dali has magnificent bass, I cannot understand how some people feel it has none. The bass has real tone and character and goes real low.

Prior to this purchase I also tested the Aonic 50 which I found too thin and trebly. The Bose NC700, harsh sounding mids. And the Sony XM4, that was not hifi sounding at all, reminded me of a cheap stereo setup. The Dali has just a little extra warmth and airiness. It’s sound reminds me of my old 90’s Denon amp.

I was so amazed by this headphone. The Dali Io6 that I felt compelled to tell that here.

I I had to make any improvements, i’d say slightly wider inner dimensions of the earcups and add a real hardcase. Also I think the build quality needs a little tweaking, it doesn’t feel as solid as any of the other headphones in mentioned. I almost feel like I need to baby it a little.
If I could choose I’d put the io6 sound in the Px7 build.

going to try the Dali wired this week with some dacs I have laying around!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #830 of 1,056
The headband of my iO-6 got broken.
This is the issue keeping me from getting the iO-6 right now - I went through probably 5 PSB M4U2s due to the headbands continually cracking and while PSB honored their warranty (they even sent me one set after warranty - very generous), it was a giant hassle that's got me gun-shy from having that happen again ... really hoping they address this in the next version ... I might be waiting until then, though I really want these.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #831 of 1,056
This is the issue keeping me from getting the iO-6 right now - I went through probably 5 PSB M4U2s due to the headbands continually cracking and while PSB honored their warranty (they even sent me one set after warranty - very generous), it was a giant hassle that's got me gun-shy from having that happen again ... really hoping they address this in the next version ... I might be waiting until then, though I really want these.

I totally feel the same way. A one piece cloth or leather covered headband would probably be more durable. I got mine at hifi klubben and was promised 5 years of warranty. That made me decide to get them anyway. They do sound sweet.

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #832 of 1,056

I didn't follow the thread last months. ¿Are there many users with this headband problem? They don't look indestructible for me, but neither fragile. Sorry to hear your problem @fishinn

Last week i compared mine with a new io6 bought by a friend and we both found my one year old unit sounding better. Bass was fuller and more rounded. That agrees with my impression of them getting a better sound after the first months of use. Never believed too much in the burning process magic, but i'll have to change my mind.

Just as a short feedback of long term use, after a year with them they've turned my1st headphones in terms of time of use (above Audeze lcd2 Classic, Audeze Sine, B&w p7 or iems like sennheiser ie800 and Flare pro 2hd). I don't mean that they are technically the best sounding cans of the bunch, but they are undoubtedly the most comfortable and polyvalent ones. I really love their tuning. To my ears they have been tuned in a very subtle and musical way with a smooth, dynamic and full sound in a more than decent soundstage for a closed can (wireless or not). And as a compulsive consumer of all kind of bass centered music, i'd like to insist in the fact that no way they lack bass (specially after burning and with anc activated, an option that for me is mandatory every time i use them to enjoy their lows at full potential).

I bought them after trying at home all the competition (Sony, Beyerdynamic, B&W, B&O, M&D, Sennheiser....except the Shures, which are newer) during a two months search exploiting the amazon returns policy, and for me they were clearly superior in almost all aspects according to my taste (being anc their weakest point but very well supported by their great passive noise cancellation). Only Master & Dynamic MW65 were close to them, with a tighter and stronger punch and a rendition with slightly more detail, but i found their soundstage a bit congested and, in general, a less natural sound.

So that's what i can say after a year, i'm not looking for anything else (so glad to have found so much satisfaction that i can avoid for a while the consumerist compulsion) and i obviously still recommend them as the best anc option (except for the Shures, which i haven't tried). It's only one personal experience, anyway.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #833 of 1,056
My first pair had the cracking headband issue. Their replacement felt in a different league in terms of build quality, with no hint of cracking headband.

After 6 months or so of ownership, I’m really happy with them. I’d like slightly softer/fuller/better-padded ear cups - Dali, can you help?! But sound quality remains great and IO-6 ANC suits me well; I use these on aircraft a lot and find that the ANC removes a good amount of background roar without any hint of cabin pressure.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #834 of 1,056
@Brintkiks Thanks for that update, that's good news!

I have one more question related to hopefully warranty.

The headband of my iO-6 got broken. On the right side, at the point where soft padding "meets" the plastic part when I stretched the headphones to put them on my head (as usual), I heard some kind of crack sound and then felt that the clamping force got weaker. And it's even visible (see the photo) - between the soft part and the plastic one - the white plastic kind of axis is broken. Again, it was a result of the usual process of putting the headphone on the head, not a testing of the stretching ability. And in it was at home with a normal tempreture, so no cold environment.

So the question - is that a warranty covered issue?

I also have the on/off button issue, so am going to take my iO-6 to the dealer for the replacement either way, but I want to know for sure how this headband issue might impact.

2020-11-01 15.14.23.jpg

Hi, sorry for my late reply. Yes, this issue is also covered by the warranty, as we have seen this with some models.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #836 of 1,056
We do running changes on our headphones, so some of the early issues with the headband - which only included a minor amount - were from the first production. We have fixed the headband issue a while back.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #837 of 1,056
We do running changes on our headphones, so some of the early issues with the headband - which only included a minor amount - were from the first production. We have fixed the headband issue a while back.
Hi Brintkiks,
can you give us a general list of improvements that have been made to the IO-6 since launch?
And one additional question - are the "crackling" plastic covers on the headband also covered by the warranty or is this not considered to be a defect?

Thanks for your contribution here!

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #838 of 1,056
Yesterday I went MS store and downloaded Dolby app to see what's all the fuss about Atmos. Well, it is pretty good with iO-6.
In the app, there are some movie and game trailers. Is it just me, but Rise of the Tomb Raider and Immortal Fenyx Rising made me goosebumps. It's like you are in the cinema.
Recommend to check it out - there are 7 days trial for this app. Use ANC for better lows and bump up the volume ~80%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back