Dali Headphones
Feb 28, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #721 of 1,056
I'm not agree with you. io6 is more close with Difuse Field target (Etymotic), and sennheiser m3 is more close with Harman target. Harman target in my opinion is more real than Diffuse Field curve. The graph for io6 is clear, and isn't opinion: the io6 is bass light and treble happy. Momentum 3 isn't perfect but in my opinion is very clear more close with real sounds producing in life than io6.

First, I want to state, that the I have a feeling, that the bass measurement from soundstagenetwork looks like the same curve, which has been posted here with leakage problems. I also think, it needs slightly more bass, but that's not picking. I think it is more towards goldenear target curve.
However, I really like their sound and the amount of detail. I still don't state, that the Sennheiser are bad. They are pretty good, but
I would rate them below the Dali's. Sony's and Bose, I don't want to talk about. Without EQing them, they are really so bad, except the NC feature.
But it's good, that you found in the Sennheiser a headphone you like. Everything else doesn't matter.

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #723 of 1,056
I just got a pair of these. Is it normal for them to say 90 percent battery even after being left on the charger all night?
I'm not 100% certain but I think that a DALI rep on this thread said that the way it's programmed means that if the headphones read 90-99% battery it will say 90%, rather than battery level full (100%). Mine seemed to settle out and report full battery more accurately after a little time charging up and discharging.

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #724 of 1,056
I'm not 100% certain but I think that a DALI rep on this thread said that the way it's programmed means that if the headphones read 90-99% battery it will say 90%, rather than battery level full (100%). Mine seemed to settle out and report full battery more accurately after a little time charging up and discharging.

Actually, I just got a reply from them - anything below 99.5% reports 90%, and it allows itself to floast between 95% and 100% on the charger, so unless you unplug it at just the right moment apparently, it will say 90%.

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #729 of 1,056
We've decided to share a measurement of the bass performance of the IO's, which illustrates how large an impact a leakage at the earpads can have on the low frequencies. A leakage can be caused by thick hair, by wrongly mounted earpads or by wearing glasses, which this test simulates.

There's several interesting conclusions to be drawn from the graph.

1. The IO's actually go lower with ANC OFF.
2. The introduced leakage has a massive impact on the bass performance.
3. When there is a leak and ANC is ON, the headphones will try to compensate for the leakage, which results in an unwanted audible behaviour in the lower frequencies.

dali-io-graph-bass.png

This is awesome. Thank you for sharing this.

@Brintkiks can you also set the record straight regarding:

1. How does the Dali IO-6 behave with power OFF but driven by an external amp? What kind of signal path loss are we expecting to have versus the same but with power ON?
2. Any future development for an app to update firmware, sound adjustment, sleep timeout adjustment, as well as rename the headphones for our customization?

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #731 of 1,056
Hey guys,
Bought the Dali IO-6 two days ago.
I just want to share my impressions.

First, I own a bunch of headphones and inears and I'm also working on an app for headphones compensation filters. So my preference are neutral sounding headphones, with a bit of excitement in their tuning.
I was looking for a pair of ANC, Bluetooth Headphones, which I can use during my business trips (will have a long flight mid of March, then I will test the NC in detail).
I've tested the Sony M3s, Bose 700, Sennheiser Momentum 3 and others.
Let's make it short... In terms of sound all of them are crap. Sony and Bose have superb NC, but if you are looking for neutral, good sound... You are lost. You can tune the Sony's to sound good, but not out of the Box. Sony M3 are for bass heads and Bose 700 ??? I don't find words. Inconsistent bass (depends on the position of your ears in the ear cups)... Brighter sound and weird sounding.

Here my thoughts on the Dali IO-6.
When we talk about neutral sound, they beat all previous mentioned models. The IO6 are maybe the best BT ANC headphones I've listened to, so far.
They lack maybe 1-2 dB in the deep bass region, when I think about Harman target. But the bass is punchy and even deep bass is sufficient for most tracks. They just give you the right amount, depending on the track.
The mids are above target and give you an intimate feeling.
Talking about female voices, the highs are cristle clear and pretty decent for me.
What bothers me more are male vocals. The IO-6 lack around 2-3dB at are around 4-5 khz and male voices sound a bit recessed and not so clear.
Wwwhyyy Dali???!!! They could be nearly perfect. For a closed BT headphone, the soundstage is pretty huge. Instrumental separation is really good, so no complaints here. So still the best sounding BT/ANC for me. Here my EQ

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-5febf1-1582151031.jpg.html

My first impression regarding the ANC function. It's a toy, compared to Sony or Bose.
The passive isolation is pretty good, but the ANC doesn't filter out too much.
Sometimes I've had connections issues, with crackling for a few milliseconds.
My pair has a a slight hiss on the left speaker, with some electric crackling. Just noticable, if I have them in BT connection ANC off and a complete quite environment with no music playing.
I will check this with my Dali dealer.

Still I can highly recommend the IO6, if you are looking for a well balanced BT headphone and ANC is a "nice to have" for certain situations.
Hey guys,
Bought the Dali IO-6 two days ago.
I just want to share my impressions.

First, I own a bunch of headphones and inears and I'm also working on an app for headphones compensation filters. So my preference are neutral sounding headphones, with a bit of excitement in their tuning.
I was looking for a pair of ANC, Bluetooth Headphones, which I can use during my business trips (will have a long flight mid of March, then I will test the NC in detail).
I've tested the Sony M3s, Bose 700, Sennheiser Momentum 3 and others.
Let's make it short... In terms of sound all of them are crap. Sony and Bose have superb NC, but if you are looking for neutral, good sound... You are lost. You can tune the Sony's to sound good, but not out of the Box. Sony M3 are for bass heads and Bose 700 ??? I don't find words. Inconsistent bass (depends on the position of your ears in the ear cups)... Brighter sound and weird sounding.

Here my thoughts on the Dali IO-6.
When we talk about neutral sound, they beat all previous mentioned models. The IO6 are maybe the best BT ANC headphones I've listened to, so far.
They lack maybe 1-2 dB in the deep bass region, when I think about Harman target. But the bass is punchy and even deep bass is sufficient for most tracks. They just give you the right amount, depending on the track.
The mids are above target and give you an intimate feeling.
Talking about female voices, the highs are cristle clear and pretty decent for me.
What bothers me more are male vocals. The IO-6 lack around 2-3dB at are around 4-5 khz and male voices sound a bit recessed and not so clear.
Wwwhyyy Dali???!!! They could be nearly perfect. For a closed BT headphone, the soundstage is pretty huge. Instrumental separation is really good, so no complaints here. So still the best sounding BT/ANC for me. Here my EQ

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-5febf1-1582151031.jpg.html

My first impression regarding the ANC function. It's a toy, compared to Sony or Bose.
My pair has a a slight hiss on the left speaker, with some electric crackling. Just noticable, if I have them in BT connection ANC off and a complete quite environment with no music playing.
I will check this with my Dali dealer.

Still I can highly recommend the IO6, if you are looking for a well balanced BT headphone and ANC is a "nice to have" for certain situations.
Hi Nemu,

I'm trying to reproduce your eq settings on my Note 10, but I dont have as fine control in the eq built in. Here is what I have and was wondering if it close?
Screenshot_20200307-120855_SoundAlive.jpg

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #732 of 1,056

Interestingly enough I do not recognise this, or at least not fully.. I spend a lot of time travelling by plane and every once in a while take multiple anc cans along for testing. Recently I took out the PX7 (commonly reviewed as sitting up there close to the Sony XM3 in terms of ANC performance) and the DALI for RL comparison...

I ended up being pleasantly surprised - again - by the overall performance of the DALI.. Even though in absolute terms the ANC efficiency of the DALI is arguably lower than that of the PX7, I in fact found the DALI's combination of highly effective PNI + reasonably effective ANC to be a better combination and ultimately providing a better and more enjoyable traveling and listening experience during flight than the PX7...

And I really tried hard liking the PX7 more than the DALI due to their great online reviews and their really great looks... I kept going back and forth between the two trying to determine each cans' compelling arguments but each time the DALI simply kept coming up on top...

Same result, albeit for different reasons, when compared to the Sony 1000XM3... There the gap in ANC effectiveness is bigger, SONY nailed it with their ANC. .. But the gap in SQ also is bigger, but then in the other direction.. In comparison the Sony XM3 have a bloated bass, more so even than the PX7, drowning a lot of the detail and transparency in the higher registers.. To a point that for me this really becomes a frustrating listening experience ..

Granted, this ultimately is a personal choice for everyone... But I am still overjoyed with my DALI's as travel partner of choice..

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #733 of 1,056
Interestingly enough I do not recognise this, or at least not fully.. I spend a lot of time travelling by plane and every once in a while take multiple anc cans along for testing. Recently I took out the PX7 (commonly reviewed as sitting up there close to the Sony XM3 in terms of ANC performance) and the DALI for RL comparison...

I ended up being pleasantly surprised - again - by the overall performance of the DALI.. Even though in absolute terms the ANC efficiency of the DALI is arguably lower than that of the PX7, I in fact found the DALI's combination of highly effective PNI + reasonably effective ANC to be a better combination and ultimately providing a better and more enjoyable traveling and listening experience during flight than the PX7...

And I really tried hard liking the PX7 more than the DALI due to their great online reviews and their really great looks... I kept going back and forth between the two trying to determine each cans' compelling arguments but each time the DALI simply kept coming up on top...

Same result, albeit for different reasons, when compared to the Sony 1000XM3... There the gap in ANC effectiveness is bigger, SONY nailed it with their ANC. .. But the gap in SQ also is bigger, but then in the other direction.. In comparison the Sony XM3 have a bloated bass, more so even than the PX7, drowning a lot of the detail and transparency in the higher registers.. To a point that for me this really becomes a frustrating listening experience ..

Granted, this ultimately is a personal choice for everyone... But I am still overjoyed with my DALI's as travel partner of choice..

Completely agree. Dalis have a stronger passive noise cancellation than most of their rivals so the software intervention is softer and less problematic in terms of sound quality. That helps a lot catching your attention and favors the sense of isolation. ANC with the Sony is incredible, almost a scary sci-fi fx, it shuts up the world around you. However, the sound is so poor that i used to turn he volume up and up trying, unsuccessfully, to break the veil (well, "veil" is rhetorically inadequate, lets say blanket, a fat old wool blanket) and congestion i perceived on them.

PX7 had a very weird tuning for me with different soundstage sizes for each frequency, warm bass and dry highs (from memory)...it was really unbalanced and non musical to my ears so i returned them fast and without trying them outside from home. Nothing to do with all the musicality developed by their grandfathers the P7 Wireless, which i still own and and enjoy. But the Dalis right now concentrate 90% of my headphones use (even at home), they give me all the comfort and isolation that i couldn't find on the B&W in my travels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back