Dali Headphones
Nov 16, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #421 of 1,056
Unfortunately a good fit is crucial in terms of proper sealing and the overall degree to which you can enjoy your music ... I would advise against purchasing the DALI if you cannot get them to fit and seal properly, even if you dig their sound signature ... It would only cause frustration ... So potentially you still have to continue your quest for a well balanced package where sound and fit work equally well for you ... Perhaps the B&O H9 3rd gen could work? As I understood they do not completely match the DALI SQ but at least manage to come close....

Going that way i would recommend first the b&o H9i (2nd generation). Depends on the country but right now i can see in Amazon Spain a difference of 156 Euros for the same hardware with some software improvements. Correct me if i'm wrong, i`ve only tried the h9i, but i found some consensus from other users having both that the bang for the buck right now is for the H9i.

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #422 of 1,056
Going that way i would recommend first the b&o H9i (2nd generation). Depends on the country but right now i can see in Amazon Spain a difference of 156 Euros for the same hardware with some software improvements. Correct me if i'm wrong, i`ve only tried the h9i, but i found some consensus from other users having both that the bang for the buck right now is for the H9i.
Not denying the value of the H9i but it does sound rather different from the newer H9 3rd Gen. A number of issues such as the sibilance and distortion reported with the H9i are not present with the H9 3rd Gen.

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #423 of 1,056
Just simple question, and forgive me if I am a bit ignorant on this: could I use the io-6 with ANC on, bypassing the built-in DAC/amp? Meaning, throwing from pc throughout an external DAC/amp, then wired? Or in other words, does the ANC necessarily use the built-in DAC/amp to function?
My case would be Tidal desktop app, portable fiio, e1da or shanling DAC/amp, then wired with ANC. If that's a futile setup, I'm unsure.
Thanks in advance!

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #424 of 1,056
Not denying the value of the H9i but it does sound rather different from the newer H9 3rd Gen. A number of issues such as the sibilance and distortion reported with the H9i are not present with the H9 3rd Gen.

Yes, the h9 3g is sounding more correct than h9i. I think i preferring paying more for the better sound of h9 3g.

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #425 of 1,056
Just simple question, and forgive me if I am a bit ignorant on this: could I use the io-6 with ANC on, bypassing the built-in DAC/amp? Meaning, throwing from pc throughout an external DAC/amp, then wired? Or in other words, does the ANC necessarily use the built-in DAC/amp to function?
My case would be Tidal desktop app, portable fiio, e1da or shanling DAC/amp, then wired with ANC. If that's a futile setup, I'm unsure.
Thanks in advance!

For ANC to work you’ll need to power it on, so you will use the amp - there is no option to disable that. You’ll only use the DAC with USB or Bluetooth connections ...

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #426 of 1,056
I'm in-----purchased Dali iO-4 from amazon.uk for $ 317 express shipping to USA. Keep telling myself no more audio equipment---but cannot pass these up.
Currently listening to my just arrived FiiO EH3 NC----very good quality, super comfortable and do not need much power to drive, highly recommend.

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #427 of 1,056
For ANC to work you’ll need to power it on, so you will use the amp - there is no option to disable that. You’ll only use the DAC with USB or Bluetooth connections ...

@Brintkiks may need to confirm this, but I think this in fact is the case. When I use the 3.5mm connection connected to my iFi or Dragonfly amp and start listening, then switch on power and finally switch on/off ANC, there is a slight change in volume ... So it feels like both the amp and ANC are in fact somewhere in de signal path....

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #428 of 1,056
You mean you can switch ANC on with power off?

I understood the question as “Can you switch the amp off but still use ANC” ?

Which I think you can’t since ANC requires power on and there is no separate setting to turn the amp off once power is on.

But indeed, lets see if Dali support can confirm ... :)

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #429 of 1,056
Unfortunately a good fit is crucial in terms of proper sealing and the overall degree to which you can enjoy your music ... I would advise against purchasing the DALI if you cannot get them to fit and seal properly, even if you dig their sound signature ... It would only cause frustration ... So potentially you still have to continue your quest for a well balanced package where sound and fit work equally well for you ... Perhaps the B&O H9 3rd gen could work? As I understood they do not completely match the DALI SQ but at least manage to come close....

So I have actually tried the H9s and the H9is and unfortunately they fit about the same as the Dalis. The only other headphone that I tried that fit good was the Bose 700s.

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #430 of 1,056
So I have actually tried the H9s and the H9is and unfortunately they fit about the same as the Dalis. The only other headphone that I tried that fit good was the Bose 700s.

Shame ... As the Bose come nowhere near the DALI in terms of SQ

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #431 of 1,056
Hi y'all!
Just found a review with sound difference analysis between io-4 and io-6.
It is in russian, so I made some low-quality translation of the most interesting part by myself =)

Ofc, it is subjective, but makes sence. Would be interesting to see a confirmation or denial from @Brintkiks on this matter)

" ... Lows and mids are similar – full, open, without any defined accents.
However, highs presentation seems to be a bit different . In IO-6 area above 15 kHz is forced, and there is a small peak in 11 — 12 kHz area, making them sound a bit sharp sometimes.
iO-4 on the other hand have a smoother sound signature and less accented in highs.
And I think I know the reason – on the photos of IO-6 you can spot the ANC element, situated right on top of the diffuser.
It blocks some part of the "straight" sound signal, what is compensated by Dali engineers with highs correction, and this is creating the specific sound of this diapason. ... "

http://www.salonav.com/arch/2019/10/bluetooth-naushniki-dali-io-4-i-io-6.htm

Translated to English
http://translate.googleusercontent....700283&usg=ALkJrhiMubMZw6s5JXQ2hgp47jB7ylyifQ

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #432 of 1,056
Hi y'all!
It is in russian, so I made some low-quality translation of the most interesting part by myself =)

Ofc, it is subjective, but makes sence. Would be interesting to see a confirmation or denial from @Brintkiks on this matter)

However, highs presentation seems to be a bit different . In IO-6 area above 15 kHz is forced, and there is a small peak in 11 — 12 kHz area, making them sound a bit sharp sometimes.
iO-4 on the other hand have a smoother sound signature and less accented in highs.
And I think I know the reason – on the photos of IO-6 you can spot the ANC element, situated right on top of the diffuser.
It blocks some part of the "straight" sound signal, what is compensated by Dali engineers with highs correction, and this is creating the specific sound of this diapason. ... "

Not sure if I agree with the statement in the Russian review around 3.5mm analogue connectivity being the lesser option... I distinctly get better results with both my iFi and my Dragonfly Carbon .. Much cleaner sound, more dynamics and definitely more detail and soundstage ..

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #433 of 1,056
Hi y'all!

Just read the review. To be clear about the review, both the io-6 and io-4 offer the same detail, transparency, and tonal balance. The difference in sound comes when using io-6 with the power on, but ANC off. There’s a “slight” increase in the peakness/sharpness of the highs overall. Above 15KHz is boosted, and in the 11 - 12KHz range, there’s a “small, sharp peak”. The io-4 sounds a little smoother in these ranges. However, when you turn on ANC, the io-6 smooths out in the upper frequencies as well, “and the tonal balance is corrected”.

In my opinion, Dali tuned the io-6 to be virtually identical in tuning to the io-4 when using ANC. Would make sense as the io-6 are ANC headphones and one would assume that if you’re getting the io-6, you’d use them primarily with ANC on. I’m sure Brintkiks can confirm this.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #434 of 1,056
As I understand it the anc on the Dali io-6 isn´t as effective as the wh1000xm3 but have anyone compared it to example Momentums 3? Also because people from Dali (@Brintkiks) is active in this thread im wondering if there is any graph you guys have or something that shows how effective the anc is?

Also I translated this review (https://nghenhinvietnam.vn/tin-tuc/...cap-doi-tai-nghe-dau-tien-cua-dali-58857.html) with google translate and it says: "However, when experimenting with iO4 without active noise cancellation, but thanks to the thicker pair of earpads, the soundproofing of iO4 is superior compared to IO6 when no noise is turned on. " Do io4 have thicker earpads than io6?

Nov 17, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #435 of 1,056
As I understand it the anc on the Dali io-6 isn´t as effective as the wh1000xm3 but have anyone compared it to example Momentums 3? Also because people from Dali (@Brintkiks) is active in this thread im wondering if there is any graph you guys have or something that shows how effective the anc is?

I tried the M3 when I bought the IO6, and I would say that both are comparable, but the Passive NC is better on the Dali's, which made them a tad quiter in my relatively short test. But none comes close to any of the wh1000xm 1 or 3 (I own both).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back