Dali Headphones
Nov 11, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #362 of 1,056
@Brintkiks Just spotted an anomaly on my IO6. On the left and right side of the logo there are three holes where the microphone is located. The middle hole of each of them seems open while the outer ones seem covered ... Except on the left earcup ... On that cup the left three holes all seem covered, including the middle one. Is that supposed to be the case?

The middle hole on the left mic on the left cup on mine is also covered, I’m guessing this is normal.
The two holes on the right ear cup is the mic for voice calls and a mic for ANC. The hole on the left ear cup is only for ANC (no need for a mic for voice calls on both sides). So there's no issue with your headphones. And of course the two ANC holes on the IO-4 don't have a mic.

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #363 of 1,056
There's been a discussing about the IO's not being able to play loud enough, but we were forced to lower the volume 3 dB due to EU regulations. Therefore the volume level of the DALI IO-4 and IO-6 is of course the same. Both can reach the allowed maximum sound level.
Bummer, deal breaker for me. I like to take my own health considerations as my responsibility. Would Dali consider manufacturing non EU units that are sold in less regulated districts? I know how to turn down the volume on my own. I was very close to pulling the trigger today on an IO 6. Glad that I read this first. I left B&O as I found them just too quiet for my needs. I had them at max volume and even with contemporary masters they were too quiet.

And as an FYI for people reading who will be thinking, you must be killing your hearing. Nope. Been listening quite loud since the 1980s and at 51 years old my hearing still tests as very good for my age. The secret is that I tend to have shorter listening sessions and I am too busy in life to listen to headphones daily so there are days, sometimes even a few days in a row where I barely use, if at all, headphones so my ears get a break. That is one of the key considerations, time exposure to high volume.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #364 of 1,056
Has anyone here by any chance tried out the Aëdle VK-X? All codecs supported, an AKM chip inside, best in class construction with real leather and machined aluminum, SQ to easily beat $300+ wired headphones, assembled in France. I am not being chauvinistic here, if anything them being French was a turn-off, but the VK-X are just crazy impressive. In spite of a bevy of issues at launch they feel and sound like very high-end boutique headphones, and actually retailed for $600+, but I got a ridiculously good deal by pre-ordering them before the Indiegogo was officially launched.
Problem is, Aëdle sadly closed shop a month ago... leaving me stranded for the time being with a VK-X that has one ear-cup de-magnetized.

Aëdle did the same thing Dali seem to have done, which is turning the expectations for BT sound on their head, going for clarity instead of a mainstream bassy sound. I tried out the Sony XM3 and was pleasantly surprised that the bass bump was accompanied by a push for detail in the upper registers, quite unlike the earlier iteration I’d auditioned. Still not the most controlled sound overall, but good. Technically a step behind the VK-X though.

I usually like a forward bass with sub presence, but Aëdle’s emphasis on lower treble makes for a fascinating listen. Fatiguing, as is the fit, somewhere between on- and over-ear. But wonderfully insightful, and proof that the issue with BT ‘phones lies in the under-performing decoding and amp section, not with the codecs which are perfectly capable of delivering material indistinguishable from FLAC (and higher if you believe in high-resolution).

I like what you guys are writing about the IO sounding better wired, but also regret that wireless use brushes against limitations and hampers the headphones’ absolute capabilities. From what I gather Dali use the Qualcomm chip’s built-in DAC/amp, but the IO deserve better.

So yeah, anyone with experience of the VK-X?
Also, those of you guys who found the IO a tad too light in the bass, which headphones do you like instead? How are the Technics F50/70?

I hope someone will be able to tell us whether the IO-4 rather resemble the 6’s sound with or without ANC. I can’t really use ANC, already with efficient passive isolation I run the risk of getting run over by a bus every time I cross a Paris street.

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #365 of 1,056
I hope someone will be able to tell us whether the IO-4 rather resemble the 6’s sound with or without ANC. I can’t really use ANC, already with efficient passive isolation I run the risk of getting run over by a bus every time I cross a Paris street .

The ANC just isn't quite that good, so unlike for most people, it's probably perfect for you. Ha ha!

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #366 of 1,056
@Brintkiks A suggestion for future production designs/runs. Given that the headphone is also marketed, and as it should be, as an audiophile wired headphone, the headphone should be internally wired to be balanced and have dual cup connectors. I can absolutely guarantee you that including say a 4.4mm balanced cable with the IO4/6 would really increase the potential customer base. Even if the price had to increase reasonably, I think this would be a very wise decision. There are very few people who purchase a headphone at this price point and only care about portable performance. A 50mm driver starts to lend itself to the camp of home use so clearly these designs should be considered as dual-purpose. The trend for balanced outputs (in particular 4.4mm is really taking off) on everything strongly suggests that your customers probably care and or own gear that allows them to use a balanced headphone. Regardless of where one stands on whether or not balanced makes a difference is immaterial, clearly consumers of such products care.

So in my case, the IO6 is over $600 Canadian before 13% tax, so not insignificant in terms of cost. Given that, having a value proposition such as offering both high quality Bluetooth and balanced operation wired would really make sense and I think the market is going there. It may cost a little more, but with years of reading here and elsewhere, people like their balanced gear and I really don't see that going away.

Nov 12, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #367 of 1,056
@Brintkiks A suggestion for future production designs/runs. Given that the headphone is also marketed, and as it should be, as an audiophile wired headphone, the headphone should be internally wired to be balanced and have dual cup connectors. I can absolutely guarantee you that including say a 4.4mm balanced cable with the IO4/6 would really increase the potential customer base. Even if the price had to increase reasonably, I think this would be a very wise decision. There are very few people who purchase a headphone at this price point and only care about portable performance. A 50mm driver starts to lend itself to the camp of home use so clearly these designs should be considered as dual-purpose. The trend for balanced outputs (in particular 4.4mm is really taking off) on everything strongly suggests that your customers probably care and or own gear that allows them to use a balanced headphone. Regardless of where one stands on whether or not balanced makes a difference is immaterial, clearly consumers of such products care.

As much as I would love to have 4.4mm balanced connectors on these cans (Do I hear IO-7 anyone?) I am guessing that for the main audience for these cans, the slightly more critical (business) traveler, a 4.4mm balanced connection would be one step to far ... And make the cans slightly overshoot their main targeted audience ..

Other than that, I guess that personally I would immediately upgrade to an IO-7 if those were to have a 4.4mm balanced connector + ANC :) .. But I guess I am not the average business traveler ... :)

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #368 of 1,056
Bummer, deal breaker for me. I like to take my own health considerations as my responsibility. Would Dali consider manufacturing non EU units that are sold in less regulated districts? I know how to turn down the volume on my own. I was very close to pulling the trigger today on an IO 6. Glad that I read this first. I left B&O as I found them just too quiet for my needs. I had them at max volume and even with contemporary masters they were too quiet.

And as an FYI for people reading who will be thinking, you must be killing your hearing. Nope. Been listening quite loud since the 1980s and at 51 years old my hearing still tests as very good for my age. The secret is that I tend to have shorter listening sessions and I am too busy in life to listen to headphones daily so there are days, sometimes even a few days in a row where I barely use, if at all, headphones so my ears get a break. That is one of the key considerations, time exposure to high volume.

I am really not sure how can anyone say Dali headphones are on the lower side of volume. As mentioned earlier, I am listening on Samsung s10 both wire, BT (ANC on/off). The volume is crazy high. I mean i can go over 70 mark without feeling uncomfortable with the level of loudness. These are by no means quite headphones!

Also one more comment about ANC. I have donne some tests both at home and office. At home i have put the headphones on while hoovering. With no music the vacuum cleaner sound was killed very effectively. This combined with a moderate volume of music created a completely immersive listening experience. The only reminder of the vacuume cleaner was the physical air coming out of it. Now in the office i have used ANC with great success too. We all have that loud colleague around us, so i though it would be a good test for ANC when they talk. Needless to say, ANC did a fantastic job especially combined with a low volume lelvel of music.

Hope this helps to eliminate any concerns about volume and ANC for these.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #369 of 1,056
I can confirm the hoovering and office parts .. The combination of ANC and PNI on these cans was already working wonders for eliminating outside noise .. Adding music provided the cherry on top ..

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #370 of 1,056
I got the H9 3rd gen. today and the first impressions are very positive. The sound signature is very similar to that of IO6. H9 definitely wins in Build quality. H9 are also lighter and definitely more comfortable for me. Now I will have a real problem to make the final decisions, because I expected the H9 to sound worse, and here the surprise ...

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #371 of 1,056
I got the H9 3rd gen. today and the first impressions are very positive. The sound signature is very similar to that of IO6. H9 definitely wins in Build quality. H9 are also lighter and definitely more comfortable for me. Now I will have a real problem to make the final decisions, because I expected the H9 to sound worse, and here the surprise ...

Yes, my memory is correct when I saying before that dali sounding similar to h9 3g. Now you can seeing that the construction of h9 is many more better than dali. The good part too of the h9 is that the b&o app giving you chance for changing the sound, with more bass, etc. The app isn't perfect but is giving you opportunity for different sound if you experimenting the changes. When I having h9 3g I almost keeping because I love the contsruction and design and sound isn't bad with little change in the app. But for me the earpads don't covering my ears completely and I don't like depending in using the app for the change in the sound. But good thing is the headphone remembering the sound setting you choosing so isn't necessary changing always.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #372 of 1,056
Yes, my memory is correct when I saying before that dali sounding similar to h9 3g. Now you can seeing that the construction of h9 is many more better than dali. The good part too of the h9 is that the b&o app giving you chance for changing the sound, with more bass, etc. The app isn't perfect but is giving you opportunity for different sound if you experimenting the changes. When I having h9 3g I almost keeping because I love the contsruction and design and sound isn't bad with little change in the app. But for me the earpods don't covering my ears completely and I don't like depending in using the app for the change in the sound. But good thing is the headphone remembering the sound setting you choosing so isn't necessary changing always.

I spend at least 50% of my time listening to my music in bitperfect mode. (Hi-Res / MQA Masters) .. So my heaphones need to be perfect without the need for any EQ. This is because in BitPerfect mode, EQ is not possible ... That rules out the B&O as the DALI are a better match with my preference for a well balanced neutrality ...

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #373 of 1,056
I spend at least 50% of my time listening to my music in bitperfect mode. (Hi-Res / MQA Masters) .. So my heaphones need to be perfect without the need for any EQ. This is because in BitPerfect mode, EQ is not possible ... That rules out the B&O as the DALI are a better match with my preference for a well balanced neutrality ...

For me the dali/h9/mw65/Etymotic diffuse field curve of neutrality isn't real neutrality of the real life sound. I preferring Harman curve for more real sound that is more similar or close with good speakers. I don't liking eq either. Harman doing very interesting research in several years with much experiments for finding more real sound. For me sennheiser m3 wireless is more close to Harman target curve and this sound isn't only for a specific type of music (for example only very good with with classical with orchestras) for sounding good.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #374 of 1,056
First post here. I am really considering these headphones. As they mainly will be used at my office the phone call quality is important. This has not been tested as far as I can read in the different reviews. Have any of you any experience her? I am considering these against Bose 700 even if the sound experience will be different. If the Dalis works well for phone calls I will likely go for these, despite only being able to be connected to one Bluetooth source at a time.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #375 of 1,056
For me sennheiser m3 wireless is more close to Harman target curve and this sound isn't only for a specific type of music (for example only very good with with classical with orchestras) for sounding good.
If you for example listen to Batiashvili playing the arrangement of Prokofiev's March of the Knights on the M3 you will find it muddy and totally unbalanced in the bass. The bass dominates (and is even a bit muddy) so it almost sounds flat (in terms of orchestration, IE a lot of the detals go missing) compared to the Dali's where everything sounds sparkly. I find the Dali's sutible for a wider range of styles compared to the M3's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back