Dali Headphones
Nov 10, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #331 of 1,056
Something else, which I truly find annoying.
Whenever I power it on, it usually connects to my iPhone (which I always carry with me). When I then want to use it on my laptop, I need to disconnect it from my within my iPhone, before I can connect my laptop. It would be really convenient if there was a way on the IO 6 to just disconnect it from its current bluetooth connection. Or, allowing another connection when the connection is not actively used.
Does anyone have that same issue or did I miss something...
You can release all connected devices on the DALI IO's by sliding the power button down and holding it for about 3 seconds. The voice will then confirm that they are in pairing mode.

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #332 of 1,056
Hi - thanks - but that was not exactly the scenario I was looking for. I was hoping to be able to use them with just lightning->USB-A and USB-A->USB-C, so that it would use the DAC in the IO 6. With the lightning -> 3.5mm, you'll always use the DAC in that dongle.

OK - thanks - that works. In pairing mode it indeed can connect to other devices directly.

One thing, it would be convenient if it would indicate to which device it has connected when powering up and saying "Bluetooth connected". I know other brands do that :)

And, if you're taking notes :wink: and perhaps working on new firmware
- remember ANC mode from last usage when powering up
- allow connection to iPhone/iPad via lightning->USB-A dongle with USB-A->USB-C cable
- option to disable charging when using USB connection to laptop

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #333 of 1,056
I just signed up on head-fi to participate in this thread!

Thanks @WDitters for all your help on the io6!! I look forward to hearing these headphones. I don't think it will match my Shure se846 iem or my Audeze lcd-3, even when the io6 is connected by wire to my music source and ANC turned off. But since my phone, tablet and smart watch don't have headphone jacks (or internal DACs), the io6 will be super convenient!

I quick question @Brintkiks: you've often advised that people consider the io4 if they don't need ANC. Is it possible that the io4 sounds BETTER than the io6 even with ANC turned off? As I understand it, the two models have different amplification hardware, and, even with ANC turned off on the io6, the signal goes through the ANC/amplification chip. I'm wondering if this extra layer of processing might degrade the SQ.
Yes, I think the IO-4s offer a lot of value for money, if ANC is not a must.

You raise a great question. The IO-6 has a bit more powerful amplifier, but the the IO-4 has a shorter signal path. So which is most preferable. Well, as previously mentioned, we have tuned both headphones to sound the same, so you shouldn't notice any difference. In the end, it is up to you, what you prefer and believe in. But I hope that some of you will have the chance to compare the two pairs, so you can judge for yourselves.

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #334 of 1,056
OK - thanks - that works. In pairing mode it indeed can connect to other devices directly.

One thing, it would be convenient if it would indicate to which device it has connected when powering up and saying "Bluetooth connected". I know other brands do that :)

And, if you're taking notes :wink: and perhaps working on new firmware
- remember ANC mode from last usage when powering up
- allow connection to iPhone/iPad via lightning->USB-A dongle with USB-A->USB-C cable
- option to disable charging when using USB connection to laptop
Inputs are always welcome. :wink: I will forward your comments to our product manager for our urban products.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #335 of 1,056
Yes, I think the IO-4s offer a lot of value for money, if ANC is not a must.

You raise a great question. The IO-6 has a bit more powerful amplifier, but the the IO-4 has a shorter signal path. So which is most preferable. Well, as previously mentioned, we have tuned both headphones to sound the same, so you shouldn't notice any difference. In the end, it is up to you, what you prefer and believe in. But I hope that some of you will have the chance to compare the two pairs, so you can judge for yourselves.

Thanks @Brintkiks ! I've placed an order for the io-6 on Amazon (US).

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #336 of 1,056
I personally used to have a pair of QC35ii but I sold them when I got my audeze Mobius which kicks them into a tin hat sound quality wise, I'm willing to wager the io6 will be a strong competitor to the Mobius meaning the likes of Sony and Bose won't stand a chance ...
Not sure why you would say that. Have you owned the XM3? It really sounds very, very good. You do need to trim the bass down with equalization, I use ONKYO HF Player which has a very nice EQ built in and once I trimmed the XM3 bass it sounds fantastic. I think we need to let the Dali IO 4 and 6 hit the market and wait for the initial honeymoon phase where everything is perfect to settle in a bit. After a few months of ownership, very often we start reading more realistic impressions where people start mentioning what could be improved rather than simply gushing, caught up in the glow of a new device. Personally, I am quite excited to try one of the Dali headphones and see no reason why they won't be fantastic, but to say that the XM3 will have no chance seems like a bit of a reach. Time will tell though.

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #337 of 1,056
Not sure why you would say that. Have you owned the XM3? It really sounds very, very good. You do need to trim the bass down with equalization, I use ONKYO HF Player which has a very nice EQ built in and once I trimmed the XM3 bass it sounds fantastic. I think we need to let the Dali IO 4 and 6 hit the market and wait for the initial honeymoon phase where everything is perfect to settle in a bit. After a few months of ownership, very often we start reading more realistic impressions where people start mentioning what could be improved rather than simply gushing, caught up in the glow of a new device. Personally, I am quite excited to try one of the Dali headphones and see no reason why they won't be fantastic, but to say that the XM3 will have no chance seems like a bit of a reach. Time will tell though.

Well said. I did own the XM3 and was reminded of their stellar ANC today when I took my daughter and 3 of her friends to JumpXL ... I longed for the almost perfect silence that the XM3 was capable of bringing ... The DALI IO-6 also did a great job, but only because of the fact that PNC and ANC were complementing each other. On ANC alone, the IO-6 did not perform as well as the XM3 ....

Having said that, I spend a lot of time playing music through USB Audio Player PRO in hi-res bitperfect (&MQA) mode. Downside is that you lose every possibility to use EQ ... And thus you cannot compensate for the heavier bass on cans like the XM3 or the PX7 ... From that perspective, the DALIs more neutral character beats the hell out of everything else (within the realm of wireless ANC cans that can also be used wired that is) :)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #338 of 1,056
I've exchanged my B&W PX7 for the IO6 yesterday, and I must say I have no regrets whatsoever! Spend about 1,5 hours comparing PX7, Momentum 3, B&O H9 and even IO4 with these and must say that the detail and effortlessness of the Dali's really stood out. And they are soo damn musical! A tad source dependent (as in low quality tracks come out as such), but handles eveything I throw at it perfectly well. The PX7 made a complete mess of my music every so often which started to become really annoying!

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #339 of 1,056
I have IO6 for almost 2 weeks and I am delighted. Initially, the headband pressed me on the top of my head, but it seems that I found the right place on my head :) because the problem practically does not exist. H9 3rd gen should still be coming on Tuesday, but I doubt that they will be better than IO6.
I have practically everything I was looking for. They are loud, fit into a backpack, have a great time on the battery, build quality is good, have acceptable ANC, in addition the possibility of replacing ear pads.
And the most important phenomenal sound ...
IO6 just beat everything I've tested in the last month.
And I had B&W PX7,
M&D MW65, Momentum 3, Sony XM3, Jabra 85H.
If I had to look for minuses then no natural skin and no phone application, but I'm still delighted.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #340 of 1,056
Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread since the beginning along with the PX7 one to help me decide which headphones should I get. I'm looking for all-in one headphones.
After reading all this, I'm almost sure I'd love IO-6 in terms of SQ (I prefer clarity and details to anything else) and decent ANC (will be used in home next to tv and in office).
There is just one problem - damn size of earcups. I've seen here posts about them being too small and it being the reason to choose other headphones. My question is, is there anyone with bigger ears who loves them nevertheless in terms of comfort?
Also I'm curious why did they choose the inner pads to be only ~5.3cm in diameter, when avg human ear (according to the internet) has ~6.3cm in the longest line? Or is it normal for over-ear headphones to touch/lie on the ends of the ear? Personally I have 6.8-7cm and never thought of it as anything big till now, oh well.

I haven’t read the PX7 thread yet but intend to ASAP. And most importantly test them out myself. I loved the sound and looks of the PX but hated the (un)comfort.
On my first post in this thread I have a photo of me with the Dali iO-6 on. My ears are big, they don’t quite fit their round cups. Their sound is amazing, I agree the bass is right not light (just a tiny tad tame). I agree with you on the importance of clarity, details, separation, soundstage. I do need the ANC for the office and air travel.
Will I sacrifice a little “cramped” ear for the quality of the sound and the overall set?
My PX7 test will tell.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #341 of 1,056
I'm agree with you in first paragraph 100%, but I'm not agree with you at all in second paragraph. Not much people having luxury and/or money of comparing different headphones, and in this case is normal you try one headphone or earphone and you thinking is sounding good or great! Is normal too thinking new headphone is great because we paying much attention to the music and thinking is better than everything.

I having luxury of comparing much headphones (6 or 7 in same time now). Now in my house I have px7, mw65, m3 wireless, beats solo pro, h8, AirPods pro (this is 6 anc headphones or earphones), and having momentum true wireless, p7 wireless, hd800, hd600 and more headphones and earphones. This is big luxury and is giving me unique opportunity for comparing sound. Of course is still my preference and opinion of good and bad sound.

400 euros even is much money in rich countries for much people! but is much much money in other countries, in places where much people can't trying or making easy for returning the headphone with Amazon or the manufacturer that offering 2-4 weeks free trying the product.

I think new AirPods Pro (APP) is sound better than majority of 400-500 euros anc headphones, and is including dali io-6 and px7 and h8, h9i and h9 3g and mw65. APP is sounding very good with anc on, off or ambient mode too. I only preferring p7 wireless and m3 wireless than APP..

Thank-you.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #342 of 1,056
The Dali iO-6 is just a marvel with Jazz at the Pawnshop album. It's articulate, airy, and very snappy with the piano and percussions - clean delivery

Indeed....!!

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #343 of 1,056
I've exchanged my B&W PX7 for the IO6 yesterday, and I must say I have no regrets whatsoever! Spend about 1,5 hours comparing PX7, Momentum 3, B&O H9 and even IO4 with these and must say that the detail and effortlessness of the Dali's really stood out. And they are soo damn musical! A tad source dependent (as in low quality tracks come out as such), but handles eveything I throw at it perfectly well. The PX7 made a complete mess of my music every so often which started to become really annoying!

I had the same experience and did the same thing. (Although I bought the iO-4)

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #344 of 1,056
Sometimes I just don´t get what goes through a designers head. Why make headphones round when very few people got round ears? And if you want to make them round why don´t you at least make them big enough to cover peoples ears?

As for the depth of the pads. If these were sleek thin headphones in general I could have seen the point with shallow pads, but considering they are already fairly big why not add a couple of extra mm?

I got large, but not very large ears and for me they just don´t work. To me they are excluding parts of the market for absolutely no reason at all.

I really don´t like the PX7, but B&W got the cup size right (or at least it would fit more people than the Dali´s).

I was hoping the IO6 would be the headset that could replace my P7 (wired) and QC15 (only used for movies on flights), but unfortunately that wasn´t to be. Not sure if I would have even if the fit have been better to be honest. The P7 (wired) I think is surprisingly close to the Dali´s in sound quality. A real shame that B&W haven´t been able to keep the quality of the sound as they have developed more "advanced" headphones.

Very good post and important input for me. Thx.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #345 of 1,056
Very good post and important input for me. Thx.

I suggested to @Brintkiks that DALI develop replaceable earpads in various sizes . The bajonet catch that they have put on the DALI IO is perfectly suited for that... He seemed to like the idea ... So fingers crossed.... Until then I will just keep folding my earlobes into the cups. So far it has only been a minor nuisance, largely compensated by the fantastic sound of these cans.. :angel:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back