Daft Punk RAM album Pops, Crackles, hisses, and other artifacts in FLAC
Jul 20, 2013 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Squeedly

New Head-Fier
I just want to see if I am the only one who noticing pops and crackles and a little hiss. I have downloaded several versions of this album and all have this.
It is most noticeable in my favorite song of the album, Contact. Not just the voice part either, the whole song has it. When I first heard it I was like  I assume now that it is intentional to give that cool Vinyl sound but I am not digging it. I'm not a Vinyl guy and if I was I would just buy Vinyl.

Anyone know where I can get a clean sounding file for the song Contact? 

Any thoughts would be nice.

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 17
I would say, as you've guessed that it's a deliberate production choice.

I know they had said Discovery was ran through aome cheap compressors, so I'd heavily lean to it being intentional.

So pretty much stiff bikkies.

Pretty massive letdown of an album anyway so no big loss. :D

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 17
I agree with the let down part. It was a good album to listen to once, I was pretty entertained but the only song I want to add to my on the go library was the last track of the album.

Good to know I guess.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 17
I have a 24/96 Vinyl rip that sounds pretty clean. I think the manual de-clicking was the key.

Equipment:
Turntabel: Rega P3 24 w/ Universal Spacer (4mm)
Cartridge: Denon DL 110
Phonoamp: Cambridge Audio 651P
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (MC in)
Audio Capturing: Steinberg Cubase 5 (ASIO-Driver)
Manual Declicking: iZotope RXII 
Converting: foobar2000

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Just out of curiosity - is the vinyl version less compressed than the CD version?

While I prefer older Daft Punk, I can't agree with the 'no great loss' sentiment, I like this album quite a bit, and going by the impressive reaction to this album, I'm hardly the only one.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 17
I was expecting the old sound with new lyrics too I guess. I really do enjoy the album but I feel like it had something missing. Overall it was very different from the main stream sound and had cool and odd parts to it. 

I would buy the vinyl if I had a decent table but man, that is a whole different money sync that I just can't justify right now. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
I was expecting the old sound with new lyrics too I guess. I really do enjoy the album but I feel like it had something missing. Overall it was very different from the main stream sound and had cool and odd parts to it. 

I would buy the vinyl if I had a decent table but man, that is a whole different money sync that I just can't justify right now. 

Yeah I think this album just has a much more mellow tone to it.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 17
I have a 24/96 Vinyl rip that sounds pretty clean.

Is there any chance to get a copy from that vinyl rip.
I know that the album has been compressed but it's clean sounding in the official 24/88.2 but the vinyl is much better (more dynamic range). In the other hand, the 16/44.1 clips all the way.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
The vinyl rip is supposed to have the best dynamic range.   On the DR Database, looks like the CD and HDTracks versions are compressed.

It's compressed but not in the usual way, it's limited in its true peak for the 24/88.2 master (the vinyl doesn't has any peak limiting). This means that the highest peaks are supressed under certain parameters leaving the rest of the dynamics intact but allowing louder sound. The problem is that process was performed and optimized for the 24/88.2 master, avoiding any clipping but using the full bandwith, and when they converted to 16/44.1 nobody had the precaution of compensate the shorter bandwith and then you have the album clipping all the way.
So if you volume match 24/88.2 vs. vinyl you'll find them pretty similar thou all the true peaks are lost in the 224/88.2
It's true, the vinyl has better dynamics but the difference is not so obvious like when you have an album completely squashed.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 17
Those of you who are interested in the differences between the vinyl and CD version of Random Access Memories might want to watch this video made by mastering engineer Ian Shepherd, who is the founder of the Dynamic Range Day. I haven't heard the vinyl myself so I sadly cannot offer any personal impressions myself, and since I'm neither a Daft Punk fan nor do I enjoy the album based on what I've heard of it on Spotify, I also have no interest in ever purchasing it. Still, even though I don't always agree with everything Ian says, I have a lot of respect for the man and as always his video is most informative. For those interested in further reading about his opinions on the sound of the album can do so here: http://productionadvice.co.uk/daft-punk-mastering/

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 17
I bought the Mastered For iTunes version and I am happy with it.

Here is the waveform for "Get Lucky."  Looks brickwalled, but I can't hear any clipping when I play it back.  The SQ to me is great and that's listening back with good headphones (1970s Pioneer SE305 headphones), which surprisingly sound better than my newish Bose OE2's.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 17
I bought the Mastered For iTunes version and I am happy with it.

Here is the waveform for "Get Lucky."  Looks brickwalled, but I can't hear any clipping when I play it back.  The SQ to me is great and that's listening back with good headphones (1970s Pioneer SE305 headphones), which surprisingly sound better than my newish Bose OE2's.

All those red lines in the waveform are the "clipping". If you had a chance to hear the 24 bits 88.2 from HDtracks with a DAC that supports the resolution you'll hear the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back