DACs: PS Audio vs. CI Audio vs. Benchmark
Jan 23, 2008 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

SunWarrior

100+ Head-Fier
Okay. After reading the various replies in my What's Benefit of DAC? thread, I'm ready to buy a DAC.

The three I'm considering are:

[size=small]*[/size] PS Audio Digital Link III
[size=small]*[/size] CI Audio VDA-2
[size=small]*[/size] Benchmark DAC-1

I believe all three companies sell direct with a 30-day test period, money-back and all that jive. So I could buy and test all three.

But that could be a bit of a PITA.

Among those three DACs, what are pros and cons?

I'll be using a Arcam CD-93 player as the transport (my current source).

All opinionated opinions and real-life experience are welcomed!

Dave, who also might connect an iPod using a USB jack so that's another consideration

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 40
I second what Acoustic Chef has recommended--my VDA-2 is impressive. I am not certain what is in the output stage of the other two DACs, but, in my buying decision, I could not see replacing an op-amp with an op-amp. The VDA-2 is a rare find: it has a discrete, Class A output stage (no op-amps), and it sells for under $600.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 40
I forgot to note: the VDA-2 is made in the US (rather than China).

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 40
i don't know if this will help any, but my next purchase will most likely be the Digital Link III with Cullen Circuits mods.

it has optical, coax and USB inputs and a Class A analog output stage (no opamps). the mods upgrade the resistors, capacitors, the RCA jacks and the clock, not to mention other tweaks.

i already own the PS Audio C-100 integrated, so i expect the matched components to play nicely together.

i have heard the stock DLIII and prefer it over the Benchmark, which i find to have a little too much going on in the treble. not to mention they charge a ridiculous premium for the USB version.

i haven't heard the CIA DAC, but i've heard good things about it. it only has two inputs, however, so that's a deal-breaker for me.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 40
Get the DAC-1 just cause no real reason at all...

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 40
I was thinking that the DL III has a discrete, Class A output stage, but was not sure. We appreciate the commentary, VicAjax.

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 40
do a search, there are plenty of benchmark vda-2 comparisons. In short, the vda-2 is better.

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 40
Just before you start spending the dosh, note that you haven't got a rubbish CDP. It's possible that none of the DACs mentioned will be better.
Having owned a host of DACs, I'm now of the opinion that avoiding the SPDIF link by having an integrated CDP is generally a good thing for performance.

So I'm going to suggest that you look at completely replacing you CDP with a better unit. Consider something like a Densen 400xs.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Made in the US? Does that mean it is inferior quality?

No it just means that it costs twice as much as it would if it were made in China or Taiwan.

Just kidding

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take it for what it's worth, but one VDA-2 owner compared it to a DL III and heard no differences between them. It's posted in the CIAudio subforum in Audio Circle.

Well they're different DAC's though...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned a host of DACs, I'm now of the opinion that avoiding the SPDIF link by having an integrated CDP is generally a good thing for performance.

I agree with you there, except for the following caveats:

-- By using a CD player instead of digital inputs you are sacrificing the extreme convenience of a digital media library.

-- Using a high-quality digital RCA cable between your transport and DAC will yield virtually the same sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back