DACs and aliasing
May 27, 2014 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

r010159

100+ Head-Fier
I have two DACs. I have been playing the same material, first on one DAC, and then the other. One DAC has a type of distortion, an inharmonious quality to the sound, in the highest register of a singing voice. The other DAC does not have this problem. I did check for clipping but where this happened had no evidence of clipping. 

Could this be aliasing? How would this be possible for a DAC? I thought oversampling and the reconstruction filter takes care of this. Can there be a difference in how one DAC reconstructs the analog signal compared with another DAC?

Bob

​PS: I wonder what aliasing actually sounds like.

May 28, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 3
While it's possible that it's aliasing, it's equally possible you're hearing other things, such as extra jitter, certain power ripples, etc.

From what I've heard, aliasing tends to sound like an AM modulating signal; a visual representation might be seeing moire move around a complex brick wall when you move your eyes across a picture.

Usually, most digital filters, even ones that allow some natant aliasing, do a good job of limiting it such that it's still close to the noise floor. Hearing aliasing from your DAC would mean that whoever designed that DAC did a very poor job with the digital filter construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back