DACmini hook up from computer and iPhone 4S. I'm new to this and need help...
Nov 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Raygun82

New Head-Fier
First off, I am new to the forums here at head-fi. I have been reading this forum for weeks now and due to the excellent contribution and opinions of the members here I have finally purchased what I think is a decent setup. The HE-500's with the DACmini.

Now, I listen to all of my music via 2 main avenues, my laptop with iTunes or from my iPhone 4S. I am completely clueless as to what I should use to connect my laptop to my DACmini or my iPhone to it. Just a regular USB cord? I've also read somewhere that I should convert my music files to apple lossless on my computer... Thoughts?

Please help me in trying to figure out what is the best method of hooking into this DACmini, I know I've come to the right place and I can only hope that in the near future I can provide advice to a newbie like myself.

Thanks guys! :)

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 5
You should not convert lossy formats like mp3 to lossless, whatever you do. Once the mp3 is generated, musical information is lost and cannot be recovered. Converting them to lossless will increase the file size without any sonic benefit.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi Raygun,

Thanks for choosing DACmini! Your best option would be to listen to your tunes off your laptop. The USB cable provided with the DACmini is perfectly good to use for files up to 24/96. The spdif can be used for 24/192 files. CD quality is only 16/44.1 and is certainly not audio perfection, but better than MP3. You should purchase your music in lossless format, avoiding any file conversion.

Also, you can not use the DACmini to extract the digital signal from the iphone. Plugging iphone into the line input will result in amplification only, without DAC functionality.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back