Dacmagic Plus still relevant?
Feb 11, 2019 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jestercow

100+ Head-Fier
I've been eyeing a CA Dacmagic Plus for awhile now as a DAC for the 789, since they can be had for 'cheap'; but am curious if they're still relevant with so many good cheap DACs coming out from SMSL, Topping, Massdrop, etc. Anyone have one who's compared it to the new crop?

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 3
The DACMagic Plus V2 is still an excellent DAC. I go back to it from time to time with certain earphones and headphones. It gives great weight to sound without sacrificing and detail. Particularly good with thinner or brighter IEM/HPs to warm them up a bit. I like them paired with my Soundmagic HP100, good match.

There are lots of choices though these days, and the brands you picked tend to offer good value for money. My fav DAC is the SABAJ DA3 as I love the sound and it has a balanced output as well as 3.5.

Have you a budget in mind?

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 3
Not particularly, I've seen the DM+ go for around $200, which seems like a steal to me. I may just jump on one and try it out; worst case scenario I turn around and resell it but shouldn't lose more than a few bucks. I've already got the DX3, which I really like as a DAC but the single 1/8" output just puts me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back