DAC3SE vs DAC19 DSP vs everything else.
Sep 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #76 of 94
Quote:
I´d anticipate a rush to get the last models
smily_headphones1.gif

Currently sitting on the fence about the dac19... guess I better make a decision soon before it gets made for me. Are those PCM1704UK DACs really the cat's meow, or is it those new Sabre chips???

Oct 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #77 of 94
Well this Sabre32 chip seem to be the real deal. I just got my oppobd83se today. Connected it to my Head One tube amp that have dual inputs you can switch between.

Running an aix records calibration disc and they are absolutely identical when switching back and forth on my LCD-2. I can´t detect even the slightest change when switching back and forth.  These headphone has been very revealing on my other sources so this surprised me positively. Didn´t think it would match up this well honestly being a bluray player and all. Just to bad it doesn´t have any spdif inputs.

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #78 of 94

Quote:
Well this Sabre32 chip seem to be the real deal. I just got my oppobd83se today. Connected it to my Head One tube amp that have dual inputs you can switch between.

Running an aix records calibration disc and they are absolutely identical when switching back and forth on my LCD-2. I can´t detect even the slightest change when switching back and forth.  These headphone has been very revealing on my other sources so this surprised me positively. Didn´t think it would match up this well honestly being a bluray player and all. Just to bad it doesn´t have any spdif inputs.

I'm surprised to hear that. I did exactly the same test comparing my DAC19Mklll with the Pioneer 51FD and the DAC19 is clearly superior in every way. In fact it's so good that even the 2.0 uncompressed PCM track of a Blu-ray music video through optical out of the 51FD (in this scenario the 2.0 PCM uncompressed track is downmixed), through the DAC19 still sounds significantly better than the uncompressed track, analog out of the 51FD! In a nutshell; compressed through DAC19 sounds much better than uncompressed out of the 51FD. That's saying a lot about the DAC19. I thought the Oppo 83SE would be at least as good as the 51FD if not better?

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #79 of 94
I think you will like the ref-9,  it has a similiar output stage as the 3se which I love.   However the Ref8 is only a moderate percantage more (shipping is ~$200 for either one).  I suspect the reference 8 is the real flagship DAC of the AudioGD line up.  This is the only AudioGD DAC with no opamps in the output,  the others have a servo opamp to null DC offset.  Technically these opamps are operating subsonic out of the signal path,  but the Ref8 has the transistors hand matched so close that the opamp is not required.   This takes a lot of time and expense , and I really suspect it is the cream of the crop in the audiogd line as a lot of us believe the opamp servos due affect bass phase/quality.  Just a thought for anyone considering an Audio-GD.

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #80 of 94
I have no need for balanced so 480$ more sounded like a lot of money
smily_headphones1.gif
That is 40 % or thereabout. But yes going by price it´s the flagship in the musical series. Wonder why KingWa went with this naming scheme???

I don´t know what analogue out that pioneer has. I don´t think it´s common that they are as good as on the Oppo. It has been claimed that it has the same circuit as on dedicated cd players costing twice as much. Thought it was an exhaggeration but may be true
smily_headphones1.gif

T

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #81 of 94
I am getting the DAC 19 DSP1, however I am wondering if the NFB1 would be a better choice.

I use a PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner, Black Sand V! violet, Audioquest - King Cobra Interconnect all 1m.
I use a tricked out Woo WA5LE (se) with WE300B's, TSRP's, EML 5U4G's, all matched nos and original nos.

I have the HE6 headphone (se) and am extremely happy with it.

The reason why I am getting the DAC19 is so I can run a optical link from my SVS Realiser to the DAC 19 then to my  WA5LE via rca interconnects, there by bypassing the D to A stage of my SVS Realiser.
My source player is a Pioneer BD-09 that has a very good analog 7.1 dacs and output stage. I also have a Oppo BD-83SE Nuforce edition and that uses the ES9016 dac (stacked 4 dac per L/R Ch) for 2ch and the ES9006 for M/C. I do like the ES9016 for 2ch but for M/C the ES9006 is not very good.

I use this rig for mostly BD movies.
So any thoughts on the impact of the DAC 19 DSP and the NFB1 on my system?

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #83 of 94
Next shipment of PCM1704UK chips is (according to the Audio-gd website) 12 to 24 weeks, so until then it looks like you only have one choice :) Maybe Kingwa still has a few DAC 19 though, it´s worth asking him at least.

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #84 of 94
DAC19 is not that much of an upgrade from the 83se if any. But you need spdif inputs I suppose?

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #85 of 94
Here is a link that tells you how many are remaining. http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm

Anyway I don't use the 83SE for M/C analog out, I use the BD-09 for M/C analog out via 7.1 ch rca  blue jean cables. The 7.1 ch analog rca cables are connected to my SVS Realiser. The Realiser does a A/D/A conversion then out to my WA5LE via interconnects. By adding a 19DSP1V5 to this chain I will use a optical cable out from the Realiser to the 19DSP, there by canceling out the D/A conversion of the Realiser and having the 19dsp do the D/A conversion and then out to my WA5LE via interconnects.

The Smyth SVS Realiser uses TI's PCM1798 and a lessor power supply than the 19DSP. Note I do not use the Realiser for its DAC conversion, but because it copy's any sound system up to 7.1 ch speaker system along with that room you are coping acoustics and speaker placement for playback though headphones and head amp. The reality is that it sounds as if you are listening to your audio as if you are still in the M/C room. I have made copy's of AIX's reference 5.1/7.1 and there new THX theatrical 5.1 sound system's, I use the 7.1 for any 2ch audio so it gives me the illusion of a great 2ch speaker system set at a +/-30 degree angel from center the Realiser turns off all the other virtual speakers,
When you make a copy of any sound system you must be there in that room, theater, concert hall ect for the Realiser to take the necessary measurements of how you hear that sound system. The Realiser needs to do its magic in the digital domain.

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #86 of 94
I did ask and Edwin says they do have the chips, however my order is delayed from last Wednesday until next Tuesday or so says Edwin.

Is Edwin "Kingwa"

I also asked Edwin what DAC would be right for what I wanted and of course my system. That's why I ordered the 19dsp.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #87 of 94
Edwin and Kingwa aren´t the same person, but they both reply to mails at Audio-gd. Sometimes Edwin replies to everything, sometimes it´s Kingwa. They´re both fantastic. Congrats on the purchase, you´ll be getting one of the last ones :)

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #88 of 94
^Congrats sillysally, My DAC-19DSP reached India, but it's in transit to my place. Postal dept. delaying no doubt :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back