DAC3SE vs DAC19 DSP vs everything else.
Sep 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #61 of 94
Oqvist, I may be wrong, but I'm not sure you and regal are talking about the same PRaT. It appears you are talking about the toe-tapping rhythm PRaT, and regal is perhaps referring to the accurate timing and pitch kind of PRaT.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #62 of 94
[size=10pt]Hi[/size]

[size=10pt]I can’t really decide on wich of Audio gd’s DAC . First I Thought of the DAC19 DF , but I read that it is little on the bright side .. So I thought about the DSP¨version. But a that range of price it leds me  to consider his other products: So I did put my eyes on the less known 3SE with a his fascinating ( the name helps!) and surely very musical diamond buffer technology. But this time no more DSP wich could be usefull as I still have a poor drive .. So I got to the point where I Want DSP + Diamond buffer !! [/size]

[size=10pt]I mailed Kingwa and he said that he can't add the diamond buffer to the Dac 19, hélas but it's possible to ad DSP1 to the DAC3. So now I'm close to buy the DAC3 with those options :   find a PCM100 to compare. Or see if I'm not bothered by  the DF1704 brightess and keep it this way or go straight to the DSP1 version ...humm[/size]

[size=10pt] I'm coming to another point , Regal , what do you mean by "the darn 19 has better PRAT"[/size]

[size=10pt]Really too bad AGD can't make a DAC 19 DSP with Diamond buffer.. [/size]

[size=10pt]Laurent[/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt]PS : I'm a huge vynil lover ! My system :  6V6 tube amp + DIY speakers built with fostex fw208n and Scan speak 9700 tweeters + garrard 401 turntable + modified 713 Philips CD player, ath m50 caps and AKG K340[/size][/size]

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #64 of 94
no it's really too expensive , i even i had the money , would go for for it ? Not sure . As i said before [size=10pt]I 'm huge fan of analog, but there still new nice music coming .. mostly on cd of course. So i'm thinking of upgrading my digital source . Until now i never really beleived in getting great satisfaction from digital source , so I never spent on this. I listened to some audio note stuff and find good of course, but not achieving more the 50 % ( it just a way to put it) of analog sources so  didn’t worth the expense  But the threads I saw on Audio GD products gave me hope to have finally, and for a non stellar  price, get a real musical D/A conversion... [/size]

[size=10pt]My system :  6V6 tube amp + DIY speakers built with fostex fw208n and Scan speak 9700 tweeters + garrard 401 turntable + modified 713 Philips CD player, ath m50 caps and AKG K340[/size]

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #65 of 94
Go for the DAC3SE with the DSP1 processor ...you'll be very happy with the result compared to your current digital source provided your transport is of decent quality. My reference digital source outdoes my analog sources by a fair margin and it approaches SACD levels of resolution via lowly redbook recordings (great ones mind you). Like anything though the quality of the recording dictates in large measure the ultimate result regardless of data carrier type.

I'm also an old vinyl junkie but as I just said the digital gear nowadays can be very very very good (with 16/44.1 redbook standard) and simply mind blowing with well recorded hi rez (24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4,  or 24/192 ) material.

IMO of course.

Peete.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #66 of 94
Ref 9 is like dac3se with a few changes, namely dsp1 but also improvements in multiple areas. If audio-gd added dsp1 along with the psu upgrade they usually do when updating their dac's from df1704/pmd100 to dsp1, it quite bridge the price gap between dac3se and ref 9 by almost half (or maybe more), and the other sound-related upgrades account for much of the rest.

But I still think the dac3se is probably a better bang for buck. There is one upgrade that may be more cosmetic than functional, which is the nicer chassis, but audio-gd does say the newer chassis has less syntony, or vibration. Also, the dac3se has not had its price increased to reflect inflation for a relatively longer amount of time than the ref 9, or to reflect the update to R core transformers (kind of hard to believe they gave the dac3se R cores without raising the price hehe, I still suspect this is a misunderstanding).

But still, if you really want dsp1, then just get the ref 9, because you won't convince audio-gd to add dsp to the dac3se when there's a dac right above it with dsp1 being the main upgrade.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #67 of 94
D'oh...of course Haloxt makes the case and the most sense with his suggestion... for the RE9...sometimes I need to engage the brain before putting fingers to keyboard...
redface.gif

Peete.

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #68 of 94
I went with the REF9 in the end. It should kill the curiousity if I did get the DAC3SE and really digged it lol. I got it with dual coaxial inputs and three rca outs.

Not cheap it ended up more expensive then the oppo bd83se so it better be good. What is the usual delivery time for these DACs? 

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #69 of 94

Quote:
I went with the REF9 in the end. It should kill the curiousity if I did get the DAC3SE and really digged it lol. I got it with dual coaxial inputs and three rca outs.

Not cheap it ended up more expensive then the oppo bd83se so it better be good. What is the usual delivery time for these DACs? 

[size=10pt]A good decision.. The DSP-1 is a v. good thing, IMO. Let us know how you go with it. [/size]

[size=10pt]Re: Delivery time: Best to contact A-gd and ask. They are pretty reliable in their estimate (+/- 1 week). I think you have done well..[/size]

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #70 of 94

Quote:

Mine came in around a week... The chinese EMS tracking code never worked, but no issues otherwise. By the way, nice timing! (check the other PCM1704UK threads, it´s been discontinued at Audio-gd)

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #74 of 94

Quote:

It will be interesting to hear how you like it compared to the DAC-19 DSP that you already own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back