DAC1 USB QUESTION
Mar 23, 2007 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

charlie1

100+ Head-Fier
Will it make that much of a differance? What I,m saying is, if I get the DAC1 USB - hook it up to my laptop - Use one of these amps (HEADROOM MICRO HEADPHONE AMP - LAROCCO PRII - HORNET or TOMAHAWK, and use my RS-1s - AKG-701s or UE-10s, should it sound much better than just running it through my HEADROOM MICRO DAC? Is it worth the extra money or is it a stepping stone for more upgrades.

Mar 24, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 11
First off, yes, the DAC1 should offer a significant upgrade over the Micro DAC.

Secondly, I don't think pairing the DAC1 with portable amps makes much sense. Without having listened to the DAC1, my guess is that portable amps won't offer an upgrade over the DAC1's headamp. Treat your RS-1 and K701 right and get a small desktop amp like the GLite.

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, yes, the DAC1 should offer a significant upgrade over the Micro DAC.

Secondly, I don't think pairing the DAC1 with portable amps makes much sense. Without having listened to the DAC1, my guess is that portable amps won't offer an upgrade over the DAC1's headamp. Treat your RS-1 and K701 right and get a small desktop amp like the GLite.

this all sounds correct to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 11
The Benchmark DAC1 with the built-in headphone amp is leaps and bounds better than the MicroStac (Amp & DAC) combo.

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Benchmark DAC1 with the built-in headphone amp is leaps and bounds better than the MicroStac (Amp & DAC) combo.

Really? I would absolutely love to believe that, and have no reason not to. Can you explain why it's such a huge difference? Obviously the DAC is, but is the amp stage that much better than the dedicated $300 Micro Amp?

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by schaqfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I would absolutely love to believe that, and have no reason not to. Can you explain why it's such a huge difference? Obviously the DAC is, but is the amp stage that much better than the dedicated $300 Micro Amp?

Thanks!

The HPA2 modules built into the DAC1 USB can loads from 30-600Ω without distortion, which rocks.

I don't know what the Micro Amp is capable of because they don't publish their specs or capabilities for some reason.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Has anyone done a proper review of the HPA2 modules itself, or of Benchmark's dedicated headphone amp, the H1, which is based upon it? It would be oh so sweet to know with proper authority that in purchasing a DAC1 you're getting not only a top shelf DAC but a legitimately middle shelf headphone amp.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by schaqfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone done a proper review of the HPA2 modules itself, or of Benchmark's dedicated headphone amp, the H1, which is based upon it? It would be oh so sweet to know with proper authority that in purchasing a DAC1 you're getting not only a top shelf DAC but a legitimately middle shelf headphone amp.

This guy liked the H1.

There was a thread here on head-fi about it, but it was in the similar vein to your question, and unanswered. Another forum had someone asking how it would compare to the cmoy diy.

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 11
I just got the DAC1 usb today and hooked it up to my laptop and RS-1s. (UNREAL) I can't see it getting any better than this. Will an amp like the RAPTOR make as much of a differance as the DAC1 did compaired to the MICRO DAC + AMP combo that I used before. What do most think? Will the extra money spent on a better amp pay off?

Mar 31, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Congratulations! Where're the obligatory pics?
biggrin.gif

If you're happy with what you're hearing, then don't bother getting more gear... so says the guy who has to scratch his itch every few weeks it seems.

Having said that, I would most certainly expect a $1000+ dedicated head amp to offer vastly superior improvements over one integrated in a DAC (and the DAC1 is a DAC first and foremost). But you start to reach a point of diminishing returns so expectations have to be framed in the proper context.

I've owned Ray's Hornet, SR-71 and HR-2. Ray delivers smooth (is liquid the proper term?), balanced sound where it's easy to lose yourself to the music. And his build quality is second to none.

I've no direct experience with the Raptor nor DAC1, so I'll be quiet now and let more knowledgeable members have their say. Congrats again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back