DAC1 PRE review.
Jun 15, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 24
Ugh... you want me to open it up again!?!?
angry_face.gif

wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

No problem. I'll try to do this tonight.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #19 of 24
Shane55:

Don't bother. After talking more with Benchmark, I got more information about the capacitors they used and nearly all of them are bulged, while others not so much.

Also, after seeing all the pictures you guys have posted, it indicates that indeed Benchmark was correct about this, and for the final nail in the coffin, I had spoken with 2 different Panasonic techs, and one told me none of their capacitors have any kind of bulge, while another guy said he believes to have seen them manufactured that way in the past.

I guess its safe to assume they are inconsistent with their larger capacitor design.

I wont pursue this any further, but it has been educational to say the least.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
Shane55:

Don't bother. After talking more with Benchmark, I got more information about the capacitors they used and nearly all of them are bulged, while others not so much.

Also, after seeing all the pictures you guys have posted, it indicates that indeed Benchmark was correct about this, and for the final nail in the coffin, I had spoken with 2 different Panasonic techs, and one told me none of their capacitors have any kind of bulge, while another guy said he believes to have seen them manufactured that way in the past.

I guess its safe to assume they are inconsistent with their larger capacitor design.

I wont pursue this any further, but it has been educational to say the least.

Hi there,

Thanks for putting the time and effort in to find out what's going on. It's educational for all of us DAC1pre owners too.

Paul

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #21 of 24
Maybe the other lesson learned for the OP should be to be a bit more cautious about criticising manufacturers on an internet forum without being in full possession of the facts. Regarding the scratch on the unit, yes it's an annoyance and shouldn't happen but occasionally they do for whatever reason. Someone may have opened the box after it left the factory. I'm sure you will be given a replacement unit if necessary.

Regards your worries about reliability, I have owned a DAC1 for around 3 years. It has been switched on 24*7 and is absolutely rock solid.

FWIW, I have found Benchmark to be a very responsive company - see the large number of posts from Elias Gwinn on Head-Fi. I don't see too many other manufacturers taking such a hands-on approach with their customers.

PS it's Rory not Randy Rall
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #22 of 24
MarkyMark: Agreed.. I was a bit too loud without getting all the facts, can't excuse myself for that. As for the scratch, yeah it was an annoyance, but a quick touch of a black permanent marker has fixed that quite nicely.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #24 of 24
Heh, heh.... well, I took some pics of the tops before I saw your 'fuggitaboudit' post. So I might as well show them. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back