DAC1 PRE or HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp?
Sep 16, 2009 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

priest

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone provide any brief comments as to how these two units compare, headphone amp to headphone amp, and DAC to DAC? They seem to have extremely similar functionality and cost almost exactly the same. I searched, and I could not find. Thanks!

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 18
I have both the Benchmark DAC1-USB (not PRE - but the DAC and headphone amps are the same) and a Headroom "maxed-out" Desktop amp/dac (now known as the Ultra Desktop Amp -- they are exactly the same). Both of these amp/DACs sound good but do have their differences. The Benchmark's strength is mainly its DAC, which is really quite good and very resolving in general, although some have found it to a bit dry and forward-sounding, myself included. The headphone amp section unfortunately does nothing to mitigate the rather forward sound - perhaps it was designed that way - however on some phones, it works well. I can say that I did not like the sound of my AKG 701s with the DAC1 but it was pretty good with a cheaper pr of Grado SR60s. The Ultra Desktop, I feel, is probably the overall better performer -- it seems to do more things well compared to the DAC1, however I do not think the Ultra Desktop's built-in DAC is quite at the same level as the DAC1 in terms of ultimate resolving power. The AKG701s certainly sound better with the HR amp compared to the DAC1. Another DAC/amp that many folks seem to like well is the Grace M902, which is also priced about the same or maybe slightly more.

BTW, if you're leaning toward Headroom products, the new UDAC/BUDA combination (which I also have) sounds better by far than either the Benchmark or "regular" Ultra Desktop, and gives you the opportunity to go balanced, if you think you might go this route in the future. The downside is that the combination costs about $1000 more and you have two boxes instead of one (plus the DPS).

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 18
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply with an extremely informative post tw. I actually have the original issue DAC1 but have decided that if I keep it, I'm going to upgrade to the USB or the PRE. Of course, that begs the question, why not just try the UDA? I agree that the DAC1 does not handle the K 701/2 very well, but it is brilliant I think with the HD 650 (Rory at Benchmark tells me that it was designed with the HD 650 in mind, which might explain why people think it sounds too bright with other, brighter headphones).

I suspected the strength of the DAC1 was its DAC, but that its headphone amp would probably be less versatile than the UDA. You have convinced me that I have to at least audition the UDA. I think I like its functionality better (on/off switch, crossfeed, gain switch, mini jack, etc). I also feel like I have yet to hear a really good headphone amp, and don't want to settle on a DAC1 model until I have done so. Maybe I'll end up keeping both of them.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 18
After agonizing over many of these same decisions, I am leaning heavily toward the Peachtree Audio Nova. As soon as I can get my wallet leaning in the same direction (its the same price as the Benchmark and the Grace here in Oz), I'll be in business.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After agonizing over many of these same decisions, I am leaning heavily toward the Peachtree Audio Nova. As soon as I can get my wallet leaning in the same direction (its the same price as the Benchmark and the Grace here in Oz), I'll be in business.

Looks like a nice piece of gear. I remember reading about it in Stereophile I think. In reading both you guys talking about the Grace, I started thinking very heavily about that. For some reason, I had not given it any real consideration. Maybe I should.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 18
Everything I have read about the Grace claims that it is extremely detailed, but colder than many of us would want in an amp for home use. Subjective, but as soon as I read that I crossed it off the list.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 18
The Grace M902 is never cold. Its headphone amp is probably the best I have heard from all DAC/Amp combo, and hold it own even compared to more expensive contenders. I would suggest you have a good listen before crossing it off the list.

F. Lo

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grace M902 is never cold. Its headphone amp is probably the best I have heard from all DAC/Amp combo, and hold it own even compared to more expensive contenders. I would suggest you have a good listen before crossing it off the list.

F. Lo

Thank you very much, F. Lo. I am becoming more and more interested. Do you find that its amp is versatile? How do you think it would work with the headphones in my signature for example? And how would you rate its DAC? I am looking for a single solution and $1500 is about all I can justify at this point. Thank you.

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 18
Priest,

I always think the M902 is one of best designed "Audio Swiss Army Life" - Yes, it is very versatile, and comes with features that are quite unique at its price point - such as channel balance adjustment, cross-feed (although a simple one) and individual volume control for headphone and line out. It takes analogue input, remote controllable, compact and stylish, can drive most headphones with ease, and carries a 5 year warranty if you buy it new from an authorised dealer.

The only down side is its USB DAC which is a step back from the Benchmark DAC1 USB, and even the Corda Symphony, and definitely has room to improve.

F. Lo

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 18
I use the m902 via optical and it's phenomenal. The Benchmark does not have a very good headphone amp; it may be quite good if your primary listening is not with headphones.

The m902 has a great headphone amp and its line out also sound great. Overall, it has a nicer less harsh sound which is more fun to listen to IMO.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Priest,

I always think the M902 is one of best designed "Audio Swiss Army Life" - Yes, it is very versatile, and comes with features that are quite unique at its price point - such as channel balance adjustment, cross-feed (although a simple one) and individual volume control for headphone and line out. It takes analogue input, remote controllable, compact and stylish, can drive most headphones with ease, and carries a 5 year warranty if you buy it new from an authorised dealer.

F. Lo

Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the m902 via optical and it's phenomenal. The Benchmark does not have a very good headphone amp; it may be quite good if your primary listening is not with headphones.

The m902 has a great headphone amp and its line out also sound great. Overall, it has a nicer less harsh sound which is more fun to listen to IMO.

Thank you both for your responses -- I'm pretty sure I'm going to order an m902, maybe tonight. I will buy it from B&H, which has a 15-day return policy I believe, which is too short, but better than nothing. I can then compare it to the Benchmark DAC1, which I like more and more each day, although it just does not do well with all my headphones, particularly the D2000 and the Grados. They sound sibilant and somewhat harsh, respectively, to my beginner ears. Both sounded great on my Onkyo integrated amp. Maybe I am expecting too much for one amp to drive all of those models well.

Oct 27, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 18
Priest, how did your comparison go?

Also, for anyone who has a 902 -- it has line stage outputs, right? So I could connect it to my power amp to listen to it in my main system too?

Thanks

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 18
I use a DAC1PRE as my primary DAC and as a source to a maxed out Desktop amp/dac and this combo sounds very nice. The Desktop amp is certainly better than the Benchmark (which is very good), and it also includes HR's awesome crossfeed. The Benchmark DAC is better imo than the Desktop. Peachtree's DAC is good but I'm not crazy about the HP out. It's definitely nice if you want a full size integrated amp/dac. If you need any sort of preamp functionality though and need to limit your choices, then the Bencmark, Grace or Peachtree will be better since the HR Desktops have their input switches on the rear, which is fairly clumsy.

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 18
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wonder what people think about the following combos compared to each other (asked a similar question in another thread including the synergy with HD800s).
1. DAC1 Pre + Headroom BUDA
2. Headroom Ultra Desktop DAC + BUDA

Thanks.

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

F. Lo

Fair point - I read the Stereophile comparison and they came out with the opposite findings : the Benchmark was very detailed, has a better DAC but a cold, analytical sound while the Grace is warmer if not as successful as a DAC. Apologies for my earlier post - difficult to know what to believe, but you are right in saying that I need to hear the Grace for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back