DAC1 OR DA10 for classical music?
Jul 4, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockturne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The VDA-2 can be balanced - you just need an adapter.

Not the same IMO.. & no volume control.. If Dusty went with XRL outs I would have purchased it over the DAC1..

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #17 of 19
You can't go wrong with either the DA10 and DAC1. But you should definitely consider other options in that particular price point, which will include CI VDA2 and Bel Canto 2.

You should also consider the Kora HermesII, this DAC sounds amazing for classical. Wide soundstage, accurate imaging, and most of all, everything sounds so musical. Out of all the DACs I've tried/auditioned at my home, this DAC was best at reproducing piano. It also sounded the most analogue. Check out all the reviews on this DAC. With the right tubes, this can't be beat in the sub 1000USD price range. It pops up once in awhile on Audiogon for 1000USD.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcp12345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to buy a DAC for my sound card (RME9632) and my old CDP (to go balance). Many people stated that DAC1 had a clean and cold sound. Soundstage is better than DA10. This seems that more suitable for classic(orchestra music). I have a chance listen to DA10. It sounds warm and seems quite good to my ear for classic music.

Any idea?

Are you planning to use the DAC's own amp or with an external headamp? This could possibly make a difference for you. I can only speak for the DAC1-USB, which is an incredibly good sounding DAC, although to realize its true potential, you should feed it to a high quality headamp. Although it's own amp is OK to a degree, it clearly has a forward, dry presentation which perhaps enhances its use as a "monitor" amp for the professional engineer but is not especially musical to my ears. It sounds pretty good with Grados but not good at all with K701s. Some people have found the XLR outputs on the DAC1 to work very well with balanced HD650s -- all depends on what phones you plan to use. I found that using my own DAC1 with the GS-1 (and K701s) provides incredible sound in all areas - resolution, frequency balance and soundstaging -- that far exceeds that of the internal headamp. I have no experience at all with the DA10 and perhaps as a DAC/amp combo, it would come closer to what you're looking for.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you planning to use the DAC's own amp or with an external headamp? This could possibly make a difference for you. I can only speak for the DAC1-USB, which is an incredibly good sounding DAC, although to realize its true potential, you should feed it to a high quality headamp. Although it's own amp is OK to a degree, it clearly has a forward, dry presentation which perhaps enhances its use as a "monitor" amp for the professional engineer but is not especially musical to my ears. It sounds pretty good with Grados but not good at all with K701s. Some people have found the XLR outputs on the DAC1 to work very well with balanced HD650s -- all depends on what phones you plan to use. I found that using my own DAC1 with the GS-1 (and K701s) provides incredible sound in all areas - resolution, frequency balance and soundstaging -- that far exceeds that of the internal headamp. I have no experience at all with the DA10 and perhaps as a DAC/amp combo, it would come closer to what you're looking for.
rs1smile.gif

I will use external amp.
I am considering Lavryblue now. Will try to get more information and order one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back